1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

VERIZON thanking me for an email payment I did not make

Discussion in 'Email Issues' started by BGBG, Nov 29, 2021.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Is this a scam. A trick to get me to sign up for paying online? For many years I have had Verizon and ALWAYS paid by check mailed the day after I recsive the statement. I never signed up or paid a statement by email. Also I suspect almost any and everything to be a trick or a scam. I think this is a come-on trick to get you to call or something so they cam sell you online payments. Does anyone know of this or has anyone heard of this tactic? I went to website and selected Contact Us and entered a chat where I explaineed and said to un-enroll me if they have me enrolled but then I was too busy to continue so I ended the chat before anyone replied.
    Anybody familiar with this ploy????

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    It sounds like a scam if they thanked you for something you didn't do. If they provided a link, don't click on it. Contact Verizon directly. You have to be patient waiting to talk to someone, but once you get someone on the phone, they are usually helpful.

btw: I've been paying Verizon for my phone bill via auto payment for over 30 years. Never had a problem with it. They send you the bill by postal main with a note telling you not to send a check and that the payment will be deducted from your bank account on a certain day. All you have to do is ensure the funds are in your bank. No muss, no fuss. No trip to the mailbox, no postage., no late fees. I've also been using autopayment for my electric (PECO) and water (AQUA) bills.

IJAC likes this.
  3. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    It is a scam! Think about it: Verizon doesn't know your email address. My Verizon bill is auto deducted from a bank account, like Tony. We've lived here 33 years so it has been this way for about 32 years. I have everything that can be auto-paid from an account done that way. The only holdout is water. We can't autopay that but now they've added a pay by phone so my husband calls, gives a credit card number and can instantly pay that way.
    We simply don't trust the mail. I was worried this month that my bank statement wouldn't come. It finally showed up yesterday about a week later than usual.

Verizon now knows my email address because we had no dial tone. My husband was on the cellphone for a total of over 2 1/2 hours trying to get help. We got help, he told us what to do, then hung up. We followed instructions which didn't help, as we suspected, then we were forced to get it another queue for an endless wait. Eventually Verizon had me create an online account. Because of this, I get notifications specially addressed to my husband's name, telling us the next months bill and the amount. When the bill is auto-deducted, I get another email.
    I've decided to keep these notifications coming because once or twice, the phone bill never came in the mail. (I blame our awful mail service for that). If it happens again, I can login at the Verizon site and view the phone bill. Then I can print out what I want.

4. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks. I figured it was a scam for I have gotten MANY from EVERYWHERE. Verizon has been sending me an online statement for a long while hoping I will sign up and pay online. Caught me offguard this time I am afraid. But I did not fall for it and enroll.
    I have also been paying my Verizon bill for over 30 years after I discontinued Comcast and Xfinity. Because it started low and price gradually increased. Verizon has remained about the same. Xfinity STILL sends me letters wanting me back.
    My mail service has returned to normal. Or close to it.

5. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Finally see the logic in this. If someone thanks you for something you did not do, it HAS to be some sort of trick, scam, come on.

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Yes sir.

7. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Actually Verizon MUST have my email address but I have forgotten why. Because each month I get an email saying my statement is ready and after I pay it with check I get an email thanking me for paying my bill but this was the first time it ever said I had paid it via email. I usually just delete the emails without looking at them.

8. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The difference between scam emails and real emails from Verizon: real emails will have identifying information like your account number or your phone number and possibly the name that the account is in.
    Scam emails say Dear Customer or use some generic title. Not much information about your true account is contained in the email and it will probably have a link that you are asked to click on. DON'T!

We get scam phone calls from Verizon. Someone wants to verify account details. We hang up. Verizon has all our details because they get paid monthly automatically. They have our mailing address because our bill is mailed. They have our account number, otherwise they could not take the correct account out of the bank account. They have our phone number - it is printed at the top of the bill.

One day, I'll play along and see what the scammer at the other end of the phone wants to know.

9. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Here is the actual text of the email from Verizon. I now believe it is a come-on to get people to sign up for autopay. As I said, I DID NOT and have NEVER paid by email. Always with a check the day after I receive billing statement. I forget why they actually have my email but never doubted they might. But this is first time for an email plea for AutoPay sign up. I overreacted I suppose.

Attached Files:

10. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    That looks legit. To be sure, don't click on the link. Go directly to your Verizon account and sign up for auto pay if you wish.

I mentioned in post #2

IJAC likes this.
  11. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    We too have been on autopay for 30 years or longer. We've never had a problem.

Autopay: phone, gas, electric, cable, and health insurance premiums.

Since my husband's monthly Social Security goes into this account, there is money to deduct the above items.

12. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Verizon still sending me the come-on emails. Paid a bill with mailed check and got an email saaying "Thank you for submitting your payment via email". Then gave me a spiel about how to sign up for autopay.

13. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Learn to ignore and dump in the trash.
    This is the first of two emails I get every month from Verizon.
    phone_bill.jpg