1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Update problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Slowpoke47, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Slowpoke47

Slowpoke47 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Just found that I have an update problem from back in June- back then the June Security Monthly Quality Rollup, KB4284826, is shown as failed, 4 times, although I never got a "failed" message. Did not update over the summer due to the MS updating issues, but now, those issues seem resolved and I tried to install the October Rollup, KB4462923, which failed twice and now no longer is even offeered. What should I do?

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Slowpoke47 likes this.
  3. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    What is the error message for failure?
    Right click on the failed update to view the reason.

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  4. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The error message for the Oct. Rollup, KB4462923, failure was "80070BC9, unknown error." As I remember, there were a couple of other links in that notice that were dead ends. Once that install failed (4 times!) the update was no longer offered. But I see today it is once again in the list of important updates, so I could try it again to see what happens.

I typically take my updating cues from the Ask Woody site, following their 1-5 ratings for updating. All summer, they have kept a 2 rating, "don't update." Yesterday morning they went to 4, "ok to update." When the Oct. update failed, they advised me that I needed another patch first, KB377467v2, and posted a link to get it, which I did. That patch seemed to go well, calling for a restart, etc., but didn't show up in the list of installed updates, or failed updates either. When I tried that one again, I got a message that it was not compatible with my computer. Another patch they said I needed to have is KB3177467- this one I installed some months back.

Then, on looking further at the "installed updates" list, I saw that the June Rollup. KB4284826, had failed multiple times back then, but at that time there was no "failed" notice. Previously to that, looks like all was well in the update world.

So, I need a life raft- no idea what to do next. Help!

5. allheart55 (Cindy E)

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    CPU:
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    Have you tried manually downloading and installing it from the link that Tony provided for you in post #2?

Another fix that may help is to run the system file checker.
    Right click the command prompt on your start menu and choose "run as administrator".
    Type into the command box, sfc /scannow.
    Press the Enter Key.
    (Note the space between sfc and the / forward slash)
    Attempt the update again after the file check has completed.
    It may take some time to run.

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  6. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have not yet tried Tony's link, decided to wait to hear from you as he mentioned. I was afraid of getting further into the hole. Another odd thing I noticed in the "installed updates" list, is that two updates installed yesterday without my input even though I'm set up to get my ok before installing. KB3177467, previously listed as installed a couple of months ago, apparently reinstalled itself , and KB4463376 did the same (a first-time installation). Both are listed as security updates.

I'll do as you suggest and post back.

Edit- I don't see command prompt on the start menu. How do I get it?

7. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    There are two versions of 3177467. The one installed a few months ago was probably not the current one which came out in October 2018.

I manually installed this v 2 of the Servicing Stack Update (aka 3177467). Yesterday I manually installed the October updates - Security only for my computers. 4462915, rather than 4462923. I then need to manually installed IE 11 Security update 4462949 since I don't install the Security and Quality rollup.

All four Windows 7 computers seem to be okay.

How to get command prompt:
    1. In search run box type cmd
    2. Right click cmd.exe which appears in a window at the top of the search/run box and select Run as administrator

8. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Typed "cmd" into search box at bottom of start menu. Pop-up #1 (attached) appeared with no action from me. Rt. clicked cmd at top and selected "run as administrator" from menu. This brought the familiar Windows box, "Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer?" Program named is Windows Command Processor." Clicked "yes" and got Pop-up #2, which has a blinking cursor next to "system 32" at top, not in screenshot. Typed in "sfc / scannow" and got Pop-up #3, nothing I could see going on from there. There is a blinking cursor at the bottom of #3 after "system32" but not sure what to do there, since this sequence didn't match what you were expecting.

Attached Files:

9. allheart55 (Cindy E)

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    CPU:
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    Slowpoke47 likes this.
  10. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7

Attached Files:

11. allheart55 (Cindy E)

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    CPU:
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    The results are a good sign but sometimes the file checker has to be run two or three times to be sure it hasn't missed anything.
    If the results continue to be the same, I would try again to manually download and install the update.
    Let us know how you fare.

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  12. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Ran file checker 3 times, same result, no problems found. Before I try the Oct. rollup again, a question- since the last successful monthly rollup, which I think was last May, I have installed no updates, per warning flag on Ask Woody site. Do I need to go back month by month June through Sept. before doing Oct.? (I cannot figure out how to get back to the list that shows whether a given update installation failed or was successful, only the list of installed updates.)

Also this- the list of installed updates shows 115 updates installed on 6/9/2018. I did not do this and my update setting has always called for not updating automatically. No idea what that's all about.

The current list of important updates offered shows 6- KB4457918, KB4459922, KB4462923, KB4054530, KB890830, and KB915597. Optional are KB4462927 and KB4462500.

So, bottom line, I would appreciate some advice on just how to proceed. This is getting to be quite a story!

13. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The last 2 updates are old. You can tell because they only use 6 digits while newer updates use 7 digits.890830 can be ignored. (Malicious malware removal tool) I used to download it monthly. It never found a thing.
    915597 is an update for Windows Defender. If you have another av program, Defender is turned off so you don't need the update. If you aren't sure, install it.

Looking at the 4 remaining newer updates - after you have installed 915597, if you select one, it should tell you what month and year it came out. I googled and this is the result:
    4457918 is a NET framework update (Sept. and Oct. 2018)
    4459922 is a NET framework update Oct. 2018
    4462923 is the Oct. 2018 Quality and Security rollup This update was pulled during October but it was again offered in Nov. Probably because the issues were resolved.
    4054530 is a NET framework update from July 2018 only for 4.7.2

I'd probably try 4462923 first.

Let me look around for the .NET framework updates. These can cause problems and not every one is a security update.
    I only install in the months that the update includes a security fix.

14. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    slowpoke, after you install 4462923 which was again offered on 1st Nov., make sure 3177467 from Oct. 8th 2018 is installed.

Next, after the reboot, you can install 4054530 from July.
    Info obtained here: https://www.askwoody.com/patch-list-master/master-patch-list-july-2018/
    you need to scroll down until you see the Net updates heading.

The next update to install 4457918 which is safe to install
    https://www.askwoody.com/patch-list-master/master-patch-list-september-2018/
    again you have to scroll down to find the NET update info.

Last 4459922
    Source: https://www.askwoody.com/patch-list-master/

15. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Many thanks- I'll get on this on Monday.

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  16. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The plot thickens. KB4462923 would not download from the MS update catalog and failed again from the Windows Update screen. With that screen showing "failed" I was able to see the update history and found that the cases of failed updates go back much further than I realized- the monthly rollups back as far as last January failed- but I'm sure I didn't get "failed" notices, because I would not have ignored them. In addition to the rollups, two other updates, not described, failed last Feb. 27- KB4074598 and KB4056894.

One detail that may be of note- even though 4462923 shows as 238 MB, the process of downloading and failing cited something like 76 or 78 MB total for this item.

Another update that failed periodically, 9 times in 2017, has no number but is described as "Advanced Micro Devices Inc. driver update". Maybe this is the root of the problem?

Another thought that comes to me is that maybe I should go back to the Ask Woody update history list to see if some update I took in the past is associated with some problem and was a thumbs-down item.

17. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Followup- just searched for "AMD driver updates" and found a site that scans for needed driver updates- but Emsisoft quarantined it. Tried to disengage Emsisoft to allow this scan to run but still seems to be some interference to this operation.

18. allheart55 (Cindy E)

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    CPU:
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    Snake oil, Slowpoke.
    You don't want or need to use a driver update scanner.

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  19. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks, I just came to the same conclusion, but what if anything should I do about the repeatedly failed driver updates- or does it not matter?

As outlined in post#16, I'm at a loss as to where to start to fix these issues. Need to get a nudge in the right direction.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  20. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Failed driver updates don't matter.
    I haven't let MS install drivers for me for years.

I only accept drivers from my computer manufacturr and then only if I have a problem with something.

Can you install this? 3177467
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb3177467
    look at the dates and be sure you download with Oct 2018 date and not Oct 2016 date.

Don't obsess over the failed updates from months ago because the Security and Quality rollups are cumulative.

Slowpoke47 likes this.