1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Unable to POST with BIOS battery installed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by Tony D, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I'm working on a Lenovo T61. The laptop is pretty old as witnessed by the Vista sticker. However, those machines were workhorses.

I can't get this machine to do anything other than illuminate the Power light when power is applied.

It doesn't matter if the main battery is installed or not.

It boots fine without the BIOS battery installed. The battery voltage measures right up there at 3.2V. I have tried another battery. The issue persisted.

I've tried removing the main battery and AC supply, then holding the power button for 30 seconds. No help there.

I do see that the BIOS gets reset because when it does POST, it'll say CHKSUM error and noting that the Date/Time is wrong.

One thing I see that may not be normal is that when the AC power is connected (and the main battery is not installed), the Caps lock Light will flash once and the Num Lock light will also flash once. They flash sequentially, not both at once. I know these lights do not flash when power is applied to a T60. This is a T61.

Thoughts?

2. PseFrank

PseFrank Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi Tony... If you can get into the bios with a known to be good Cmos battery installed, can you then reset the time and date from within the bios?

3. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Yes, I can do that. And things are fine until I have to start it again. It won't do anything - just as if I hadn't touched the power button. I have to then remove the BIOS battery to get it to boot.