1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Unable to install apps to my secondary drive (D drive)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Mrhalo304ever, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Mrhalo304ever

Mrhalo304ever

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I've been struggling with this issue for a while now. As the title says I am unable to install anything directly into my secondary drive, only the main drive (c drive). This is an issue since my secondary drive has the most amount of space. Even when I install on C drive and move to D and then try to use the app I always get some sort of error. I have tried changing the permissions but It has done nothing, tried running as admin and nothing. So right now I am at a lost and am looking for help, any advice?

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome MrHalo,
    Interesting that you can't install on the D drive. Do you get any messages when you attempt to install the program on the D drive?

Note: you won't be able to install on the C drive and then move to the D because the registry doesn't know that the program files have been moved. That's why you get error messages when you move program files after they've been installed.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  3. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Another though, look at Settings / System / Storage. In there you will find an option labeled "Change where new content is saved". Once in there, you can select which drives new apps are save to.

4. Rustys

Rustys Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
  5. Mrhalo304ever

Mrhalo304ever

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I have tried this and I get the error "We couldn't set your default save location. The operation did not complete successfully. Try again in a bit. The error code is 0x80070002, in case you need it." I don't get this when I change "new apps will save to" but If I try to change any of the other things I get that error.

To make clear I can change where the apps are saved to but even though it is changed I still can not save much to D drive.

6. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Can you post a screen shot of your Disk Manager

Press the Windows Key + X to bring up the menu
    Select Disk Management
    Press Print Screen
    In the posting area of the thread right click and select paste (Or using the keyboard Ctrl + V).
    Please include the top and bottom section showing the D drive

7. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    If something is already installed on C, as mentioned before, you can't just move it to D.
    You have to uninstall the program and do a clean install. That means you lose all your customization. If the program is part of Windows, then it has to be on C.

8. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    It is possible to install programs on a secondary drive but you cannot just move them.When you install a app or program you have to change it form the default install location ( which is usually C) to where ever you want to put it.The only reason I see to do this is if you are running out of space on your C drive.I had a Dell one time where they partition the C drive very small and the D partition for data bigger and they ran out of room on the C drive.The person didn't know there was another partition to save to.If you are getting some sort of error message when trying to install or save to D then please post it.Also I believe you said it is another drive not just another partition is that correct?

9. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Do you get he same error following the instructions from the link I provided in post # 4.