1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Unable To Connect Laptop To The Internet Through Home Wireless Network Connection

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by paulhighbury1971, Sep 21, 2012.

1. paulhighbury1971

paulhighbury1971

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Hi there,
    Any help most appreciated please.

I am unable to connect my laptop to the internet through my home wireless network connection;

First thing to say is that the home broadband network connection is fine.
    This is proven by the fact that we have one family PC connected fine, and all other devices connected fine too, these include
    4 other laptops and mobile phones too. So the issue is related to my laptop only.
    (The internet connection is through cabled Virgin Media UK broadband, connected to a Virgin modem with a Netgear WGR614 wireless router)

Also, my laptop connects to the internet fine when using an O2 mobile dongle.
    The wireless switch on the laptop is ok and lit ok.

So, I am guessing that there is some kind of setting on my laptop for my home network that must be wrong.

Laptop is a Sony Vaio, running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.
    It used to work fine, so not sure what's happened.

I connect by doing the following;'Connect to a Network', Clicking on Johnsxx (our network name), then receive
    "Windows cannot connect to Johnsxx".

Many thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Paul

2. woodyblade

woodyblade Inactive Staff Member

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Easiest way to get rid of any possible wrong setting will be to remove the network from the Control Panel, so go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Manage Wireless Networks (on left hand side).
    Then select your network and select Remove, then try connecting again, you'll have to enter the wireless key again though.

3. stclares

stclares

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    I have had a similar problem with my wife's laptop not connecting wirelessly although my PC had no problems.
    Both are in the same room ans our BT homehub.
    Changing the wireless channel from the default Channel 6 to No. 1 or 11 sorted out the problem.

4. KenB

KenB Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    This was a problem for my sister too with her BT home hub.
    Changing the channel sorted her connection dropping problem.

Just to explain:
    There is a choice of 12 or 13 channels.
    Channel 1 - 6 - 11 are suggested frequently. If one is a problem try 6 or 11.
    There is a logical reason for this.
    Channel 1 has a frequency in the range 2401 - 2423Mhz
    Channel 2 is in the range 2406 - 2428Mhz ( not much difference and a great deal of overlap )

By selecting channel 1 - 6 - 11 there is no overlap at all - so if you are getting radio interference on one of the channels try another from 1; 6 or 11.