1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble With Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by metalslug9000, Aug 25, 2012.

1. metalslug9000

metalslug9000

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I have a laptop Dell Inspiron 1501 with windows vista. when i press the power button it turns on and in less than a sec or about a sec I hear the fan shut off. The screen never turns on but the lights on the top right on the pic are blinking. any help would bbe gladly appreciated. I tried holding the power button 30 sec then releasing and turning on. I also reset the ram. no luck so far.
    Cam0Pic12-08-25 15.52.46.jpg

2. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi and welcome to CHF,
    It doesn't look good, but it may just be a power issue, is this happening with the power supply plugged in, or just on battery?
    If the power supply has failed, the first thing you know about it is when this happens after the battery runs flat, can you check the power supply by trying it with the battery removed?
    If no lights or any other response then it will be the power supply duff.
    Can you borrow a power supply of the same type from someone to try?

Nev.

3. metalslug9000

metalslug9000

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Ok will try it out first and let u know ok. Thanks for the hint. gonna get a new or used ac adapter since dont have it dont know where i left it lol. But this is happening with just the battery right now. so battery not dead yet i even left it on 30 min turned off then tried turning on again and no luck.

Also is there another way to know if my moderboard is fried or any problem like that????

4. woodyblade

woodyblade Inactive Staff Member

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    As Nev says it doesn't look too good to be honest, the near immediate shut down like that is probably a short-circuit, sort of like what happens in a desktop PC if the motherboard isn't seated correctly, I'd still say you should follow Nev's advice, you could also try removing the HDD (or even the RAM) as well to see if there is any sort of activity at all.

I had a quick search for other ideas it seems other Dell laptops suffered from static charge, so if you removed the battery and power supply, press the power button for a couple of mins, then put the battery in and try powering on again hopefully that may work.

Otherwise I would expect the worst with a motherboard problem.

5. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I am just curious and not disagreeing with the others but since you don't seem to have the power adapter, when was the last time you actually charged this machine?

6. metalslug9000

metalslug9000

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Honestly idk been quite a while but to be honest I think it is a short circuit. :bnghd: Got a universal adapter and did the same thing with the battery off so that pretty much tells me everything. I just wanted to use it for my son but seems im just gonna get him a new one, laptop pretty old anyway. I appreciate all the help guys Thanks A Bunch :jump:

7. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I still think that a good charge of the battery will prove it one way or the other though. A universal adapter isn't going to have enough going for it, to be able to power a laptop, they do take a good bit of power in comparison to what that adapter can provide.

Nev.

8. metalslug9000

metalslug9000

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I did order the original on ebay but itll take seven days to get. Ill let u know if anything different. Got the adapter for 5 bucks so i gave it a try. But will let u know if anything different.