1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Transfer Application ODBC from Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hard Headed, Sep 13, 2018 at 3:42 AM.

1. Hard Headed

Hard Headed

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hello,

I had a logistics application privately constructed for me several years ago. The application was designed for Windows Vista server pack 3, 32-bit. In addition, the programmer used MySQL ODBC connector and Wamp Server 2 for this application.

Is there a way for me to transfer this application to a Windows 7, 64-bit system?

From the information I gathered, it seems the data source to the ODBC is incorrect because of the 64-bit system. I receive an error code when I attempt to log into the program.

All input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

PS: The original programmer unfortunately died, thus the source code is lost and a new application would cost several thousand dollars.

2. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Most 32 bit programs should run on 64 bit systems, and most programs that run on Vista should run on W7.

What is the error code, and do you have the source code to re-install the program? If we can't get by the error code and you're able to re-install, then another possibility is to install the program via compatibility mode.

http://pearsonsupport.helpserve.com...-a-program-in-compatibility-mode-in-windows-7

3. Hard Headed

Hard Headed

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Ok.

I do not have the source code to re-install the program. The error code is ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified.

I tried setting all the .exe files within the application as compatibility mode for Windows Vista server pack 3.

4. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Without the ability to re-install, it might be tough to get around the driver error. Even if you get by that driver problem, there is a good likelihood that other compatibility problems will arise. I did find this though:

https://forums.asp.net/t/1932912.as...ame+not+found+and+no+default+driver+specified

Also, you upgraded the Vista system to 7, correct? The reason I ask is the possibility of downgrading from 7 to vista. If that is possible and the program works, then your priority will be to clone the drive.

5. Hard Headed

Hard Headed

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    That is unfortunate. Thanks for the link though.

No I didn't upgrade the system. I am trying to transfer the application to a different/new system that runs Windows 7.

6. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Do you still have the old system? By what means did you transfer the application? I'm thinking you cut and pasted the app, in which case that definitely won't work.

7. Hard Headed

Hard Headed

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yes. The old system is still functioning. However, I want to make a copy of the application to a windows 7 system.

Copied and pasted all the files in driver and reinstalled Wamp Server 2 and SQL connector to the new system.

I thought I could easily change the data source and re-create DSN connection.

I am going try look again for the installation file. I find it hard to believe the programmer didn't leave a copy of the setup file.

8. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Ya, definitely search for some for some type of file that will initiate an install.

Worst case scenario is you have no choice but to run the app on a Vista system. If so, clone the the Vista drive. That way you can keep repairing that computer if needed to keep using that app. The only possible issue will be if you have to change the motherboard. Depending on the mobo you replace it with, Vista may not start. Is the Vista system OEM or custom?

Tony D likes this.
  9. Hard Headed

Hard Headed

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Vista system is OEM.

I will search, I think programmer deleted on purpose though. After his work completion, he emptied the recycling bin.

So it seems the only resolution is to use systems that are compatible with Vista to run the application by cloning the hard drive. Is that correct?

10. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    I see no other alternative.

The purpose of the clone is in case the original drive with the app craps out. The clone will also have any necessary DLL files, registry entries, etc, that the install of that app created. This solution will work, but the success is slightly dependent on how the cloned version of Vista will respond to a different motherboard. In such a situation, Vista will go ahead and install the drivers for the new motherboard, then you do the Window's updates and you're good to go. However in some cases, Vista won't be able to "handle" the new motherboard, and just keep producing BSOD's.

11. Hard Headed

Hard Headed

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Ok, thank you for the assistance. I was also advised to try the compatibility mode in windows 7. I tried that before by changing the compatibility for all the .exe files. I'll give it another go. If not, I'll probably clone or try look for a different software alternative.

Thanks again for the help Seth Anthony.

12. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    You're welcome.

I don't suspect changing the compatibility mode of the files post install will help, but it seems you've got nothing to lose at this point. This is a long shot long, but if you have the will, double check the compatibility mode for the .exe files, and look for a possible alternate installer that might simply be titled "install". I'm also wondering if one of those .exe files is the installer, but it's just not labeled as such.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas other than cloning that vista drive.