1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Toshiba Laptop Problem

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by TestingtheGame, May 8, 2018.

1. TestingtheGame

TestingtheGame

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I'm having a serious problem with my laptop. Everything was working fine yesterday, but when I turned it on this morning, instead of booting up like normally I just get a black screen saying "No Bootable Device -- Please restart system". Well, I've reset the PC dozens of times throughout the day, and it hasn't seemed to work. I tried to find a solution online myself, but the only thing I could find was to hold the 0 key while turning the PC on, and it should do something, but when I do that, nothing happens. It still just goes to the "No Bootable Device" message. I'm at my wit's end. I depend on my PC for my daily life, so this is incredibly frustrating and stressful. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) CHF Adviser CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    You have posted this issue on multiple sites, so much advice can become confusing.
    I would remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
    Another option is to hold F2 down when booting and see if you can enter the Bios.
    Set Bios back to defaults, and save.
    Make sure Bios recognizes Hard Drive.
    Has this Laptop had a bump?
    See if this helps.

3. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Sounds like your hard drive has failed.

The machine gets thru its Power On Self Test which indicates the system board is operating properly. After POST, it looks for an operating system. The message you're getting says the machine can't find an operating system. The operating system is on the hard drive. So unless there's a cable/interface problem, you have a failed hard drive.

4. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Yes, unfortunately, 99% of the time, this error means a failing hard drive. Whether or not you can recover needed data, depends on the type and extent of the hard drive failure.

Also, (and unfortunately again), to remove a drive in most laptops that were built in about the last 5 years can be tedious and precarious. Especially when they have connectors that are not only very hard to get at, but are also very fragile.

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  5. TestingtheGame

TestingtheGame

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Well, I'm desperate and wanted to make sure I actually got some sort of help. How would you even know I posted this issue on another site? Anyway, unfortunately, setting things back to default didn't do anything. Does having a failed hard drive mean I can no longer use my computer? There's no way I'll be able to get another one.

6. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    With a failing hard drive that causes any type of no start up issue, then no, you can't use the computer.

The drive would have to be replaced and Windows installed.

7. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) CHF Adviser CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I would be confident this is you. https://pchelpforum.net/t/toshiba-laptop-problem.23707/#post-46853
    I find it odd from switching laptop off and on again your Hard Drive has completely failed.

I had exactly the same issue with a computer. Windows for some odd reason failed to recognize the Hard Drive all of a sudden.
    I searched in the Bios and found the Drive under BBS Priorities. Set the drive back in the boot order and good as gold again.
    You need somebody that understands the Bios to check this possibility.

8. TestingtheGame

TestingtheGame

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Yes, of course that's me. I wasn't denying asking for help on other sites -after all, what's wrong with that?- I just found it odd that you'd even know about it, and was confused as to why you'd point it out.

If what I'm in is actually the bios (I held F2 to get into there) do you know how to do any of that? I just pressed F9 to "setup defaults" but that didn't seem to do anything. I'd image all the settings are already at default anyway since I haven't messed with anything. I'm not computer savvy at all, so I don't have a clue what I should be doing.

9. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    We can help you get thru this, but I'm pretty sure you're going to need a new hard drive. You can pull the present hard drive and attach it to another computer to see if it's failed or not. The easiest way is use some kind of an adapter such as this https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW.

If the drive has failed (which is likely), you need to install a good drive and install Windows, you're programs, and restore your files from your backup.

If the drive has not failed, then you have a computer hardware problem.

Just for fun, get back into the BIOS and poke around to find the list of connected drives. Does the BIOS list your hard drive? If it does, then the computer does see the hard drive, but still isn't finding an operating system. This is one of the failure modes hard drives experience.

btw: what is the model of your computer?

10. TestingtheGame

TestingtheGame

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I never even knew a hard drive was a physical thing. I've never really thought about it before, but I just assumed it was part of a computer. How do you remove it? Though for that matter, if I need to put in a different hard drive, it sounds like I'd need to purchase one, and I can't do that. How do you install windows? Especially if I can't get into the PC to do anything. I also didn't know windows was something you install. I already had windows when I got the computer. It was just part of everything after starting it up for the first time. I thought that was just how it was. If you dont have windows, how to you click on anything without the desktop? Or, isn't the desktop windows? Ugh, I don't know, I'm confused.

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite C750-A7223. Is that the model? Also, is HDD/SSD the hard drive? If so, the bios menu lists it.

11. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    The hard drive is what stores all the information on your computer. A hard drive (HDD) is a physical device consisting of a platter or two or three of magnetic material and a head that writes and reads the information. It looks like a mini turntable that you might have seen to play vinyl records. A Solid State Drive (SSD) has the same functionality as a HDD. However, instead of using magnetic media to store information, the information is stored in transistor-type devices. Both fail over time.

Without an operating system, you computer does nothing but show you a blank screen. Window is the operating system you are using. It has to be installed on the hard drive or SSD. Windows is what is responsible for drawing all those icons you see. It's what reacts with your mouse when you move it to move the cursor on the screen. And of course, it does a lot more. Without an operating system, your computer is a brick. Well, that is unless you're a programmer.

Here's a video that shows how to replace the hard drive on an L750. Does this look similar to yours?

Do you see a Windows Product Key on the bottom of your computer? It would be 5 groups of 5 digits. That's the license you would need to activate Windows once you reinstall it on a hard drive.

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  12. TestingtheGame

TestingtheGame

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thank you for all the information. There's nothing I can do about it right now, but, theoretically, if I were to get a new hard drive and replace the one in my PC now, the computer would work again? Would there be no way to get all my files and such from my old hard drive and put them on a new one? Also, how would I go about getting windows? Would have have to spend money on that, too? It sounds like you're saying windows won't come automatically if I were to fix things with a new hard drive.

edit: Also, I'm sorry for taking so long to respond. Since I don't have my own PC anymore, I have to use my family's computer, but there's almost always someone on it, 24/7. Normally, I wouldn't be able to use it at all. They're giving me a little leeway right now due to the situation, but eventually thing will go back to normal and I won't be able to use it again

13. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    If the hard drive has not failed, you would be able to retrieve your files.
    If the hard drive has failed, you can not retrieve your files. You could send the drive to a company that specializes in hard drive recovery. Prices typically range from $600 - $3,000.

If there'a a product key on the computer, you can download a file which can be used to reinstall Windows. Or you can contact the manufacturer and ask for the install disks. They typically charge about $25 for the disks.

What is the make/model of your computer?

14. TestingtheGame

TestingtheGame

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Is Toshiba Satellite C750-A7223 not the model? I mentioned it above. I'm not sure how to gt that information, but that was on a sticker on the bottom of the PC. I don't see a window's product key anywhere. I definitely can't send the PC in to get it checked if the prices are that ridiculously high. Getting it checked costs twice as much as the PC itself? That doesn't make any sense

15. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Yes, you are correct. Sorry about that. Actually it would be a C75D. Correct?

That would have come with probably Windows 7 or Windows 8.

16. TestingtheGame

TestingtheGame

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Ah, it is a D, yes.

And yes, I think it came with windows 8, but it's been five years or so since i got it so I don't remember. It did automatically update to Windows 10 over time, though. Annoyingly, since I kept refusing when prompted. Eventually it just did it on it's own after I stepped away for an hour one day