1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

ThinkPad x201S display issue

Discussion in 'Monitor' started by pumpkinpatch, Oct 7, 2016.

1. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi guys! Im new to the forum. Found it while researching a display issue that i need more information on. I have limited experience with laptop displays and would like to get some other opinions about what the problem might be. I was going to replace the LCD but decided against it as I have heard a few other ideas it could be. When connected to an external display, it does not replicate the issue. Only affects the actual laptop display. The problem does happen when booting the computer and in safemode.

The ThinkPad in question is an x201s that worked perfectly before I loaned to my parents for about a year to plug into a external monitor. The laptop set next to a dell 19" external monitor maybe 8"-12" away from the laptop itself. (possible magnet issue?)

The laptop works fine otherwise, no hard drive issue.

The screen displays funny color shading. The mouse disappears when you enter the bottom left 1/8 of the screen. I've attached pictures using IMGUR free/junk free image uploading service.

Additionally, now that I'm typing this, the mouse is now view able all over the screen. Previously, it would disappear when entering the lower portion. Now the bottom 1/8 section kind of flickers with a light spot in the middle. See attached pictures.

Any idea what could cause this, or how to repair it? This is still a fairly desirable laptop, and I would hate to lose it. Ive been looking at the new x260's but for some reason, I have a hard time parting with my x201s. Parts are hard to find for this laptop too :(

Thanks in advance for all your help. I greatly appreciate it.

The link for the pictures: http://imgur.com/gallery/Xkp5H

The last picture is the improved view of the screen after about 20 minutes of being turned on.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome PumpkinPatch. Looks like a common failure among laptop displays. If you flex the left and right edges of the display, you may be able to get that bottom part of the display working properly for a while.

The video cable may just need to be re-seated, but that's a rare fix. You usually have to replace the display. Replacing these displays is usually pretty straight forward if you're mechanically inclined. I'll see if I can find info on a screen replacement.

3. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Welcome to the forum Pumpkinpatch

You or had a certified technician?

Make sure the cable that goes between the motherboard and the display is securely fastened on both ends and not pinched. May need to be replaced.

If you connect it to an external display does the same thing happen?

If you boot the system into safe mode does this still happen?

Worst case the display on the laptop may be startingg to fail and it is built onto the motherboard.

4. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Mistype, I meant I researched the issue and heard it might be something other than the display. The problem doesnt replicate onto external display, but remains on laptop LCD. The problem does replicate in safemode and when booting.

5. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thank you! I updated the first initial message with some more details.

The best I could find for LCD scren replacement was: LTD121EQ3B For IBM X200S X201S FRU: 42T0480 12.1" LED LAPTOP SCREEN 1440x900 http://www.ebay.com/itm/152246359844?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT LTD121EQ3B FRU:42T0480 FOR lenovo thinkpad X200S X201S 1440*900 Matte

basically ebay item, $100... cheapest I could find for an original display

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Following up on Rusty's post, it sure looks like a bad display. How long ago did you replace the display? Did the display work properly after replacing it and now the problem has occurred again?

I found a screen on eBay
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/lenovo-x201-screen

Here's a couple of video that show how to replace a screen. That second video is more descriptive and you can see the video cable that I mentioned should be re-seated before replacing the display because a re-seated connection may fix your problem (but probably not).

7. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Unfortunately, the screen i have is a 1440x900 display. seems harder to find than the x201 screen

8. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    If you're comfortable doing so, remove the front bezel and detach the display from the top plastic. See if the video connector is in all the way. Be careful because it's fragile.