1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

system will not boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rodburns, May 22, 2013.

1. rodburns

rodburns

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    i built a quad core intel 3 years ago been a great stable platform with no issues running xp pro svcpk3 and last week got a high cpu spike and task manager lockup system not responding hit reset and everything was good on reboot
    next session i was working and same thing so i hit reset and the system failed to boot turned it off by holding in the on/off button
    now all i get is the bios hits the drives and nothing , a no signal on the lcd before it goes back to standy
    any sugestions would be appreciated

2. PseFrank

PseFrank Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi Rodburns, welcome to Computer Help Forums.

There's a few basic things you can try..

Being as you put your own rig together I'll assume for now that you have at least some knowledge of how to carry out any or all of the below.

1. Try and boot into Safe Mode. If you can...Run a full scan with Malwarebytes.

2. Once again from Safe Mode. Run a disk check on the C: Drive.

3. If you can't get into Safe Mode. Remove your HDD (The one with the OS on) and connect it to another computer via a docking station or maybe an external enclosure. (Enclosures can be brought very cheaply)

4. Remove each stick of ram in turn and reseat. Even better, swap the existing ram for some known to be good ram...You'll only need one stick to run a test. This will tell you if your ram is defective.

5. And last of all for now...borrow a power supply unit (PSU) from a friend and hook it up to see if the problem lies with the PSU.

I have to hit the sack now...But if you have any questions please post back and ask.