1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Switching Between Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by giovtk2, Feb 4, 2010.

1. giovtk2

giovtk2

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    New here great sight thank for it. I want to in stall a new hard drive on my lap top don't have a lot of time to do it little here and a little there. Can i put new drive in laptop install op and still put old drive back in and still use laptop until i have some more time to get back to the new one?

Thanks, Tim

2. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    First, Welcome to Computer Help Forums! :)

If I understand you correctly you want to have two separate hard drives for a laptop. The first one is the one in it now and that contains your current OS and all of your data. You now want to format a new drive, install an OS on it and ultimately make it your "regular" hard drive for the laptop. If that is correct, there is no reason from a hardware standpoint why you cannot although it seems a bit cumbersome.

You may run into some difficulties regarding the OS etc. depending on the type of discs you own but that would be no different than if you were just formatting a new drive. Most laptops have a recovery method either installed or on a separate disc.

3. giovtk2

giovtk2

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home

Thanks for the reply I just want to switch them back and forth until i get the new drive up and running with everything the way I want it.

4. BeeCeeBee

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Based on the narrow issue you have presented the answer is yes you can do that. I really feel that I should add that while it is no different from simply mounting two drives in a tower and switching the cables when the machine is off. It does present other issues since laptops are less robust physically. Further, you need to be very careful about how you handle these drives.

One thing I would suggest is that when you do make the switch you not only power off the laptop you also remove the battery and only replace it when the switch is completed.

5. giovtk2

giovtk2

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home

Thanks again you have been very help full and fast Thanks again. Tim

6. BeeCeeBee

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    You are quite welcome. :) One other thing that you must keep in mind is that each drive will be recognized differently by your bios and I am unsure what, if anything, you may have to do about that. A lot depends on what the differences will be between the content of the two drives. Before you act I would suggest you wait for some additional input on that issue.

We have some members and staff far more expert than me who may have some additional suggestions and/or warnings.

7. Match

Match Registered Members

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Abit AN52
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon dual core 5000+
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    160 Gb Hitachi 500 Gb Western Digital
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    I think that BeeCeeBee has covered the bases

Yes you can, Probably would get away with using an OEM copy of the OS as well :huh: so long as you never plug the HDD into any other computer. (Worst scenario I can for see is that windows update would stop working on the old drive)

The Bios should recognize the different drives and when you first boot up with a different drive may take a little longer.

but the main thing is be careful when swapping the drives as the connectors aren't designed for this type of use,

and has BeeCeeBee has said it would probably be wise to remove the battery as well, and again care needs to be taken as they too aren't designed for being removed and replaced on a regular basis

P.S. thanks for the comments on the site :D all feed back is welcome positive or negative

8. hatsoff

hatsoff Inactive

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Asus P5W DH
    CPU:
    Intel Core 2
    Memory:
    4GB OCZ Quick Stuf
    Hard Drive:
    Spinpoint 500GB
    Graphics Card:
    HD2600 Pro
    Power Supply:
    Silver Power
    I do it regularly - two SATA's and one home made SSD drive.

It's perfectly feasable, observe the safety issues the guys mentioned and you will be fine.

It is worth noting that if the drives are the same make, you ought to write on them in marker pen to identify which is which - it isn't always that obvious :D