1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Laptop Battery Issue

Discussion in 'Power Supply - PSU' started by loppyloo, Feb 13, 2013.

1. loppyloo

loppyloo

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have the strangest issue going on with my laptop. To begin wit, it is a Dell Latitude D620 that we bought used but in perfect working order. About a year after we bought it I was using it and it just stopped working...it turned out that the adapter was dead. Now at the time I figured that the adapter had probably broken some time before and had not been charging the battery for a while but we just didn't notice and the computer dying was just the charge leaving. I do recall getting a low battery message at the time and plugging in the adapter and it not helping. So we bought a new adapter and everything seemed to be okay but maybe not...the adapter isn't the tightest of fits and so sometimes it falls out. when that happens, the computer dies. I never really thought about that but that should not be occurring so I decided to look into it. The battery appears to be fine. The little test thing on the battery itself shows all lights when I push the button. The little icon in the tray shows a 98% charge, Quickset shows the same and days that the battery is working properly. However something is obviously not right because it turns off when the cord comes unplugged and will not turn on unless plugged in. The setting is correctly set to work off battery so I'm guessing there is something wrong with the computer itself...perhaps seriously wrong. Any ideas?

2. jaylach

jaylach Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Hopefully not but this could possibly be a mother board issue.

On a brighter note it could just be dirty contacts. With the battery out and the AC unplugged try using a cotton swap and de-natured alcohol to clean the battery contacts. I doubt that this will actually help the issue but needs to be done to rule out the possibility. May actually fix the issue but I doubt.

What I think is really happening... the battery is faulty. If you have a reliable shop in the area take in the system and have the battery checked. Since the AC adapter falls out you might want to also see what they would charge to mount a new plug if it does prove to just be the battery.

3. Match

Match Registered Members

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Abit AN52
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon dual core 5000+
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    160 Gb Hitachi 500 Gb Western Digital
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    I'd put my money on the adapter socket in the PC, I think their is a loose pin/dry joint and when your unplugging the adapter, the voltage drop is not being detected to switch to the battery power mode :) unless your competent in dismantling and soldering printed circuit boards I'd take it to a shop.

but it would be nice if you let us know what the shop says is the fault, I might end up owing Jaylack a drink if I ever meet him :) lol

4. jaylach

jaylach Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    LOL! And danged if I wouldn't collect! ;)