1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange FTP Issue?

Discussion in 'General Malware And Security' started by John Stenger, Jan 10, 2022.

1. John Stenger

John Stenger Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    For the past week my website has stopped working and I get the Forbidden notice on all links to the site. Upon speaking with the server techs each time this has occurred! they tell me the folder on their side is empty! and I need to upload, This has happened 4 times in the past week. Today I asked them what could possibly cause this! and their answer was! we can only delete files with your expressed permission?? Any Opinions on what might be happening here?

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Who has delete privileges for the files? You, the web host, and who else? Why would someone want to delete the files?

IJAC likes this.
  3. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Only Me! and them I guess! ...Nobody else is using my Computer! ...I was thinking maybe, the Server was Hacked! ..and not about to admit it!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    There's your answer. You need the privilege to delete file to delete the files.
    As far as hacking, why would someone hack your website? What would someone have to gain?
    Maybe an error at the hosting company.

IJAC likes this.
  5. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    No I didn't mean my Website in Particular! I meant maybe some hackers got into IPage's Server platform, and are deleting files just to cause Havoc for them! I can't even imagine, what it might be! It's just that, to have a Root folder deleted of files 4 times in a week! seems like quite a Mystery??? Anyway Thank you Tony D! ..I thought maybe this might have been a common phenomenon!

6. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    @Tony D I have a partial explanation on my Missing Files Issue! I finally got with one of the Hosts managers who knew more then the support techs! Whats happening is! I am presently building a new website, using the hosts web builder, and every time I use that builder it takes the domain pointer off of my published website! and points it toward the half finished and Unpublished site! there by debilitating my working site! but the Issue of the files being deleted from the Servers Folder! That he could not explain!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  7. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    IJAC and allheart55 (Cindy E) like this.
  8. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Yes I have been using Kompozer for years with my own template, I host with IPAGE, but recently I found I might be being Penalized by Google, for the site not being Mobile friendly! because of bad navigation on phone version! So I tried fixing it myself, but these Host web builders seem to be way ahead of me! in Mobile builds! they convert the PC version to mobile automatically!

9. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    That's a nice feature.

IJAC likes this.
  10. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    allheart55 (Cindy E) and Tony D like this.