1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

SSD boot + HDD storage: where to put applications?

Discussion in 'Hard Drive - HDD' started by 8biosdrive, Feb 20, 2019.

1. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The title question is based on the premise that it's better to limit writing to an ssd to extend its lifespan. But I have seen mention that current ssd drives are more robust for writing to than older ones, so how much of an issue is this? I am setting up a 500 Gb Samsung 860 Evo ssd as the boot drive on an Inspiron 3760 that will have a 1 Tb 7200 rpm hdd, which I plan to use for the data drive. Should all applications be installed on the hdd and the files they generate saved to this drive? If some applications, say Microsoft Office, are installed on the ssd to take advantage of its speed, the hdd could still be selected as the drive to save files to. But if installed on the ssd, will temporary Word files, or automatically saved files be written to the ssd? Would this be anything to worry about in terms of degrading the ssd? Is there a preferred way to organize programs and files for this type of setup?

2. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    I set my SSD drives with the OS on it and all the Apps and programs.I put files and music on the SSD that I use often.I have a spinner 1TB drive I put most of my other files and music etc. When I first started using computers I was taught that your OS should be on the main drive or partition. All other files and whatever like music videos and such on another drive or partition. Also for safety and security you should backup your personal files to a external device.
    You are correct in that the SSD'S are more robust today then when they first came out. I forget the exact amount of read and write you can get but I think it is a lot.You can get software called Samung Magician for you Evo's and it can optimize your drive and give you the status of the drive.I ran it on my Evo's and it has a I think it says fast mode or quick mode and it speeds it up for opening programs.I noticed it doesn't affect the boot or shut down times though. When I switched over to SSD'S I did notice a speed difference in my programs and apps opening faster.

3. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    So you have 2 ssds, one with the operating system, apps and programs, and another with the files and music you often use? In addtion to your hdd?

Is this in addition to running in AHCI mode or is it the same thing?

If f disk defragmenter is disabled, I suppose you just defragment the hdd manually?

If you disable Windows indexing service to save writes to the ssd, how does that affect the hdd? Can it be off for the ssd but on for the hdd?

Can hibernation be turned off for the ssd, but kept on for the hdd?

In power settings, if you choose not to turn off the ssd or have it sleep, how will this affect the hdd?

4. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Sorry no I have one SSD with OS on it and the occasional files like pdf and word and some music I play regularly. Then I have a 1 TB 7200 rpm hard drive I store my largest files,music and videos on. I do have other SSD'S that I dual boot with windows 10 and Linux.
    No the Samsung Magician sotware isn't like AHCI mode it is just to speed up the SSD. The disk derangement does it automatically in Windows 7 and 10.It also recognizes if you have a SSD in and it will optimize it for you.I disabled indexing and saw nothing different so that is up to you if you want to disable it or not.
    I don't think you can turn off hibernation for one and have it work on another hard drive.
    Sleep is sleep it uses less power so I think there will be no problem there.I have mine on all the time and have had no problem son far,

5. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS