1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

[Solved] Software Problems

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by daveleonard, Dec 3, 2018.

1. daveleonard

daveleonard Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    I have had a recurrent problem with my pc running slow. You may remember an earlier posting from me.
    I tried to go into safe mode and determine if it is a softwear or hardware problem but I can no longer get into Safemode. I run win 10 on a Acer Aspire. I tried to restore to an earlier date but it will not complete successfully.
    Here in the Philippines when you buy a new pc you never get an original win 10 disk to use. They sell you a new pc but the win 10 they put on the pc is downloaded from the net I am sure. Saves them money. If I take it back to the store, they will just put another bad copy on it and I will still have problems. However, I do have an original win 8 disc which I can use if you will tell me how to do it. I need to know how to load the win 8 within or outside of my current win 10 os.
    My system info is: Acer Aspire E 15 laptop UJTCBL4R, os win 10 ver 10.0.16299 build 16299, x64 based pc.
    I must do this myself as it is just too far to travel to a big city from this Island.
    Thanks for any help you can offer.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Is the Windows 8 Disk the one for the Acer Aspire? If not, it probably will not install.
    Of course if it is Windows 8 and not 8.1, I'm not sure if you can update it. MS stopped support for Windows 8 on 12 Jan 2016.

The best option is to grab a USB stick and do a clean install of Windows 10 from the stick.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...stall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

Here is how to create the Win 10 stick

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2018
  3. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    I need to go slow on this to get my head around it. I have a 16 gig usb stick or I have 238 gigs left on my ext memory drive. Will those numbers be big enough? Also, I would like the old win 10 to be off my pc to conserve space so will it be gone upon the new installation or how do I get rid of it after installation? The disk for 8 did not come with the Acer and is 8 not 8.1.
    Thanks.

Also, how do I boot from the usb stick?

Ah, never mind, I read the link instructions.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  4. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    Ok, I booted pc from the stick and all went well. The pc is fast again with no hesitations when pulling up apps or files. I have a question though I'm a bit fuzzy on. When booting from the stick was the os replaced or just the drivers? Are the new drivers now on the pc hard drive or do I need to continue to boot from the stick?
    The reason I ask this is I have an ongoing error with win updates (see files). I called the ms help desk for win 10 in the phils. The kind lady tech worked with me for half a day doing remote asst. She isolated the update in question but found that it was indeed on the system even though win update reports that it is not. She could not fix it and suggested I just ignore the quirk.
    So I did ignore it but now I see the same error after I booted from the stick which made me think I really have not replaced the os but only the drivers. Am I wrong? I can continue to ignore the error but I thought it would be gone with a fresh copy of the os.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

5. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    You don't need the stick any further. The OS and some drivers are now on the computer. Missing drivers will be installed with the updates.

Restart (not shutdown) your computer, type Window's Update in the search box at the bottom left, go to Windows updates, and the updates should install.

6. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    The reason I ask this is I have an ongoing error with win updates (see files). I called the ms help desk for win 10 in the phils. The kind lady tech worked with me for half a day doing remote asst. She isolated the update in question but found that it was indeed on the system even though win update reports that it is not. She could not fix it and suggested I just ignore the quirk.
    So I did ignore it but now I see the same error after I booted from the stick which made me think I really have not replaced the os but only the drivers. Am I wrong? I can continue to ignore the error but I thought it would be gone with a fresh copy of the os. How or can I use the Media Creation Tool to put a fresh copy of win 10 os on my pc? Would this eliminate the win update problem?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Attached Files:

7. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
  8. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    When you booted to the USB stick, did you proceed to install W10? If so, you then posted you saw the attached message.

If all of that is true, then that message is normal and if you follow my instructions in my previous post, that essage will be cleared. If those instructions don't work, then you might not have actually re-installed W10.

Attached Files:

9. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    Tony, yes I tried the Trouble Shooter but I got the message that Windows could not fix the problem. That is what prompted me to contact MS for help and the remote asst was done but problem not fixed.

Seth, I think I did not actually re-install W10. I put the tool on the usb then I shut down and then I went into the bios sys and made boot priority "usb" saved the selection and then re-booted normally. I never got the prompt to install W10 or select 32 or 64 bit. So, should I try again? I should shut down and let the pc boot up from the usb?
    Thanks

10. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    At this point, I don't think you booted from the USB, or if you created the W10 USB install USB.

When you used the method that plodr posted, it should have showed W10 is downloading, followed by "Creating USB media". Did you see that?

11. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    No, because that site had no download options so I went to the ms site. There I was asked if I wanted to run the media or save. I chose "save as" and saved it to the usb. I saw no "win 10 is downloading. I went to the MS site to download because the site https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...stall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08 was instruction only, which I read, but there were no download options there.
    Thanks Seth

12. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
  13. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    Yup Seth its downloading win10 now 6 percent. Does the old win10 stay on the pc or does it get deleted?
    Thanks so much for your help, great job.

14. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    It will get deleted.

Plodr posted the walk through for the installation. It looks more daunting than it actually is:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...stall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

You'll likely have to change the BIOS settings for the Acer to boot from the USB stick first. It's either Del, F1, or F2 to enter the BIOS settings. Once in there use the arrows keys to enable "F12 boot menu", save the settings, then exit. Now upon starting, keep tapping away at F12, and you will see the boot menu with your USB stick. Choose your USB stick, and the install will begin.

After the install, immediately do the internet updates as I posted earlier.

Good luck:)

15. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    Every went well and is working great, super fast. Thanks again and take care.

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  16. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive: