1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Shutdown question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Slowpoke47, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Slowpoke47

Slowpoke47 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    W7 HP 64 bit IE11. Recently had a glitch where there was a partial bootup, desktop was blank with no tray area displayed. This came after a couple of weird bootups in the preceding few days. Tried the f8 key, just in case. I left the machine for some time to see if there would be any further developments, but nothing else happened.

I restarted using the power button to get to limited functionality via the f8 key and used the System Restore function to go back a couple of weeks or so, which solved the problem, and the computer has worked fine since then.

I know it is not good to shut down this way, but I know of no other option. So, my question- is there a keyboard command to restart? The ctrl-alt-del combination does not do that on W7.

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    You can go to the Control Panel, use the Power Options and click on the "Choose what the power buttons do" option. From there you can use the drop down menu next to "When I press the power button" to select Shut Down. This is how I normally set things. I also set the Close Lid option to Hibernate and the Sleep Button option to Sleep.

That said, in your recent experience the machine was hung up and even if the power button was set to Shut Down, that wouldn't have been recognized by the system. You had no option other than to hold the power button to shut the machine down.

Cntl-Alt-Del should work on that machine if it's running properly. Please check that using that key combination brings up a window with options including Log off and in the lower right corner should be a red button allowing you to Shut Down.

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  3. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    That might present a problem because you might have undone some of the update glitches that were fixed on Nov. 22nd.
    Check to see if you are offered November's updates again.
    You know where to head if December's updates are a problem.

If that happens again, I suggest you try this:
    1. Press control+ alt+ del which brings up a choice for starting Task Manager
    2. Click on File (top left) and select New Task
    3. In the box that opens, type in
    Code:
    explorer.exe
    That starts Windows Explorer and then loads your desktop, task bar, clock, etc.

Now suppose that doesn't work, there is one more thing to try.
    1. Press control+alt+del which brings up the same menu you saw above.
    2. This time look at the bottom right. You will see a red button .
    a) If you click the red button, the computer will shut down.
    b) if you click the arrow aside of the red button, you have the choice of restarting the computer.

I use ctrl+alt+del when my husband's Win 7 desktop sometimes hangs trying to shut down.

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  4. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks both for the info. The shutdown worked just as you said. I learned the W7 OS by reading Chris Fehily's cookbook, and referred to it for some wisdom on the problem I had. Some years back I wound up exchanging a couple of emails with him, nice guy! But in that guide he specifically states that the ctrl-alt-del move does not work on W7, so I didn't try it. Possibly an update somewhere along the line restored that function? In any case, everything seems normal now.

plodr- when I set up the timing for the restore operation, I opted for just after that problem monthly update that everyone helped me with. And after the restore I checked the installed update list, and it is still there. Woody's site still gives the latest monthly update (still Nov?) a 2, so I'll wait on that. And thanks for the strategy if the tray is missing in action- I'll keep a note on that for future use if needed.

Still astounded at the complexity of that repair work from Sysnative.

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  5. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Ah, I'm glad your restore point was after the fix up.

I've manually updated four Windows 7 computers with the November patches and I've had no problems on any of them.

I think the major November problems are in Windows 10 builds; and perhaps not even all the builds. I haven't hear much discussion about Win 7 problems.

Yes, the gurus there are exceptional.

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  6. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yes, I knew enough to do it that way.

Am I better off to update manually instead of using the updates as offered in Update?

7. IJAC

IJAC CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    I remember when I had windows 7 and if there where updates in there for the dot net framework update I would always do them separately.I noticed that it would mess up the update process sometimes if there were a lot of updates along with dot net framework updates.I used to do the updates manually also on the seven machines I worked on and my personal ones also.

8. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks for the response. For a non-expert user like myself, is the Ask Woody update info a good resource?

9. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Your choice.
    I prefer manually simply because the bundled updates load tons of things not security related.

November 2018
    4467107 weighs in at 240.1 MB https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=4467107

4467106 is 36.6MB and 4466536 is 52.8MB for a total of 89.4MB (64bit)

That's quite a difference between 240.1MB and 89.4MB!!! I choose not to have 150MB of non-security features on my hard drive.

Checking the 32 bit versions: full 146.6MB, two security are 23.7 and 29.1 so 93.8MB of non-security features are packed in that bundle.

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  10. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I too would like to have less unnecessary stuff in my computer. Can you suggest a strategy going forward to do the updating I need without adding unneeded baggage? If they don't appear on Update, where do I find which ones to take? (W7 HP 64 bit IE11)

11. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Ask Woody is a good reference I believe he used to be on windows secrets news letter.From what I know he seems to know what he is talking about.You could always double check things in here also to make sure.

12. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  13. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Thanks for the info plodr I couldn't remember how long he has been around.Am I correct in saying he used to write on the Windows Secret news letter when Fred Langa was there?Getting old the memory starts to go so please correct me if I am wrong.

14. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    WindowsSecrets used to be Brian's Buzz, started by Brian Livingston. It merged with Woody's Windows Watch and became WindowsSecrets. (I'm old and have followed these guys for years and own some of their books). Eventually Fred Langa stopped his newsletter, The LangaList and joined WindowsSecrets.
    WindowsSecrets was good for a few years then they sold out to another company and trashed it.
    I thing the experts on Windows saw what was happening and started to leave.
    Brian Livingston left before the buyout. He is out of computers and into writing about investing.
    Woody Leonard left next and is upset because WindowsSecrets still shows him as a writer.
    Fred Langa left next.
    Last to go was Susan Bradley.

When I saw the writers I trusted leaving and being replaced by unknowns, I didn't renew my membership to WindowsSecrets after being a member since 2003 through all the changes.

Woody's site now has a Patch chart by Susan Bradley similar to what used to be in WindowsSecrets. Eventually Fred Langa started writing again and Woody posts some questions from Fred's site. He now tries to post 1 thing daily. https://langa.com/