1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

"setting up a few more things" "Drive Where windows is installed is Locked"

Discussion in 'General Software' started by pcfupcfut, Feb 27, 2021.

1. pcfupcfut

pcfupcfut

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Hoping to keep my files, otherwise I woulda just full wiped and reinstalled by now.

Windows 8.1 64
    i7-4790K (not overclocked, never was)
    Z97-HD3 mobo
    16BG RAM
    One SSD is all I have and I never made a second partition or anything like that but it seems there is one (read later).

I lost internet which happens about once every 2 months, I usually replug the router from the wall and it's fixed in 3 minutes. This time it didn't. Other PCs on the router have internet. I tried a bunch of basic things like unistall network adapter, reinstall, update driver etc, nothing worked. So I tried REFRESH YOUR PC WITHOUT AFFECTING YOUR FILES. Now I can't get windows to open.
    I'm unsure if it was after or right before losing internet, recently I ran disc cleanup (or defrag or something like that in Action Center toolbar icon, I think it may have been right after loosing internet that I checked action center which I normally don't but maybe was looking for an internet solution, and noticed it said it wasn't cleaned in a long time or ever.

I get either of the two titled errors. I tried many video and webpage tutorials but nothing worked.

I also paid $20 for neosmart easy recovery essentials (ERE) whichok has a whole big article for the LOCKED fix but ERE just gives me a frozen screen and their other cmd commands did nothing. I burned the ERE ISO twice to make sure, and did it on slowest speed, have burned ISOs before (DBAN) no problem but ERE is a frozen screen for me. Also with the ERE disc in, I can't often turn the PC off (only way I have is to hold power for 3 seconds) and it always reboots itself too if the disc is in.

ERE has a VGA mode I can quickly select, otherwise is chooses the first option and gives a frozen solid grey screen. If I choose VGA it does quickly scroll through a bunch of stuff but then freezes at the end. I gave it about 10 mins frozen then hard OFF'd the PC. VGA mode was scrolling a bunch of stuff I don't understand like 'marker problem from config line' 'current version of pixman' 'X.org X server 1.18.4 release date''X protocol version 11' etc. Anyway, $20 ELE gets horrible reviews but I gave it a shot.

When I boot from the OEM 8.1 disc, I choose REPAIR, not INSTALL (would wipe files).
    From there I can TROUBLESHOOT> REFRESH YOUR PC = error: "THE DRIVE WHERE WINDOWS IS INSTALLED IS LOCKED. UNLOCK THE DRIVE AND TRY AGAIN."
    TROUBLESHOOT > ADVANCED OPTIONS > SYSTEM RESTORE = error: "YOU MUST SPECIFY WHICH WINDOWS INSTALLATION TO RESTORE".
    TROUBLESHOOT > ADVANCED OPTIONS > SYSTEM IMAGE RECOVERY = error: "COULDN'T FIND A SYSTEM IMAGE" (I don't think I've made one actually).
    TROUBLESHOOT > ADVANCED OPTIONS > STARTUP REPAIR = error: "COULDN'T REPAIR YOUR PC".
    There also UEFI FIRMWARE SETTINGS but I know nothing about that and didn't see it mentioned in tutorials.
    I almost never had to mess with cmd either but I did a lot of tutorial commands in there but nothing fixes anything.

If I boot without the OEM disc or anything in tray, I get" error "SETTING UP A FEW MORE THINGS" and it freezes at 3% "COULD NOT COMPLETE INSTALLATION".

Somehow a couple times I managed to get that part to go %100 but then it errors at like %95 when finishing up another step.

If I follow this 16:48 video for the DRIVE IS LOCKED error,
    Drive Where Windows Is Installed Is Locked UEFI Mode FIX [Tutorial] by MDtech

I get to about the 5:01 mark ^ but then afraid I'll wipe something if I proceed farther. It shows I have

TYPE SIZE OFFSET
    Partition 1 Primary 350MB 1024KB
    Partition 2 Primary 223GB 351MB

By the way, I can't ever get cmd to restart the PC, some tutorials say make it restart to complete the commands, but it won't restart if I try Shutdown /r, shutdown /r, Shutdown -r, Shutdown /r /f, shutdown /r /f, shutdown -r -f. \ or / etc.

Also, sometimes my cmd starts with C:\> or X:\Sources>. I can toggle it by typing C: or X: but unsure if it matters. Some tutorials were showing something like c:\system32 though which I haven't seen on mine.

This 6:07 vid from LotusGeek "the drive where windows is installed is locked unlock the drive and try again"

His cmd is showing system32, again, mine doesn't.
    If I follow his steps, at 2:27 after "bootrec /scanos" it shows I have TWO total identified windows installations. I never willing made a partition or know how, but maybe something recent caused this, if it matters. 1 is D:\Windows, 2 is D:\Windows.old\Windows

Then I do "bootrec /rebuildbcd", it says 'total identified windows installations" 1. [1] D:\Windows "add installation to boot list? YES(Y) No(N) ALL(A)".
    I tried A, it said "requested system device can not be found". I tried Y, it then shows [2] .old\Windows I select Y again = "The requested system device can not be found'.I then cmd 'exit' as instructed but I don't have his option to CONTINUE TO WINDOWS 'and it should be fixed'.

I did chkdsk c:/f = 'windows scanned the system and found no problems'.

I really have no idea how to fix this without wiping out all my un-backed up data, if it's even possible. I have my most important stuff backed up but a whole bunch I didn't. For now I'm a) upgrading to windows 10 and b) backing up things to a cloud/external every week or two.

By the way, I run spybot and defender scans daily and only found one or two things in like 10 years and I haven't had any malware or virus problems that I know of and hadn't been downloading or clicking anything out of the ordinary before this happened. But possibly it's some sort of malware?

Please help if you can, thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2021
  2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome pcfupcfut, Something is surely messed up. The first thing you need to do it to make a backup of your files. If you can't remove the drive and connect it to another machine to backup the files, you may be able to boot the machine to a live Linux disk. Once booted to the live Linux disk, copy files to a USB-connected drive.

I think you're getting the locked disk message because the installer isn't seeing your Windows 8.1 installation. It's seeing the recovery partition. That would be the 350 MB partition you found. That partition would be locked.

When you ran chkdsk, it probably ran it on the recovery partition. You need to figure out which partition your OS is on and then run chkdsk. However you got to the cmd prompt, use DOS commands to poke around to see what files show up when you type in DIR. If the files you see don't appear to be your Windows installation, switch to the other partition using the CD command. You'll have to do some experimenting to find the right drive letter.

Once you find which partition your Windows installation is on, run chkdsk on that. As an example, if you found your Windows installation is on the E drive, use chkdsk E: /r.

If after running chkdsk on the partition doesn't fix the problem, you're going to have to do a clean installation.

3. pcfupcfut

pcfupcfut

Operating System:
    Windows 8
  4. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I saw the one response stating that the SSD is hosed. I don't know how he/she can say that. Anyway a new SSD will get you running. You can try to install W10 using the Media Creation Tool. Using the tool, you download the file to a USB drive. From there you can install W10. Depending on the machine, it may activate.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445

The problem remains on how to get your files off the old SSD.

upload_2021-2-27_15-12-5.png

Attached Files:

5. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Your first mistake was trying to do a refresh/reset for a minor problem. Anyway, as you have experienced, Windows repair functions are basically useless.

Anyway, the chances that your SSD is the problem, is almost zero. I agree with Tony. Do a clean install of W10. Once that is complete and running fine, disable Windows from automatically installing hardware driver updates.