1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking New Cell Phone Company

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by BGBG, Feb 5, 2016.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    This is just about ordinary cell phone service with no extras. Started with AAA cell phone for emergency use. Then Cingular bought it out. Price went up and soon upgrade and my phones were no good. But they gave me new phones, maybe cost me for postage, I forget now. Still simple phones for emergency or convenience and hundreds of minutes unused and thrown away each month and the cheapest plan they have. Now ATT bought it awhile back, and got a letter today saying they are upgrading and 2G phones will no longer work. So I think it is time to look for another cell company for i just want a phone with no tiles & pictures, internet, or all the bells and whistles.
    Have seen ads for consumer cellular but never checked it out.
    Now I am wondering if anyone could suggest a cheap cell phone company that would work nearly everywhere locally, not international but maybe within US, not have a contract or cost an arm & leg , and pretty much just pay for what I get with 2 phones since not used very much at all. I do use these for LD calls and local calls for air time is free since have so many leftover minutes.
    Just hoping for some suggestions anyone might have that might suit me. I have no contract and can just call ATT near billing time and cancel.

Gartokk likes this.
  2. Kenny94

Kenny94 Registered Members

Operating System:
    OS X
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    iPad Air, HP Chromebook and Compaq laptop with xp
    Consumer cellular is not a bad choice. Another thing what you could do is go to your Walmart store and talk to one of the young sales professionals and ask him/her to show you some flip phones and the month-to-month cost there with no contracts. What you want is unlimited talk time NO data and a good flip phone. Ask the employee at Walmart. Or go to your local mall and look for some of the cell phone stores and asked them what kind of deals they have. Or visit

https://www.consumercellular.com/PhonesAndDevices

Gartokk likes this.
  3. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133
    Hard Drive:
    Crucial 256 Gb SSD+ WD Raptor 300 Gb Sata III
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    The only problem with using other than ATT or Verizon is the service in many areas stinks. If you are in a metro area and don't ever leave it then Sprint or T-Mobile have the best plan prices as they are half what Verizon or ATT charge. Most of the other brands are piggy backing off of the main ones ang again in a metropolitan area they are every bit as good but outside they have to be awful.

Gartokk likes this.
  4. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I was afraid of service being poor. AT&T kicks me off frequently when it thinks I have been talking long enough. And I have a balance of 3100 unused minutes that get 500 thrown away every month. It is not even cost-based. just want a simple phone that works where I am, usually at home, and no fancy extras which there is nothing wrong with except I dont need, use, or want to pay extra for a phone that has them. But I realize modern people want modern phones that have all these things which is fine....for them. I only use my phone to call usually long distance calls from home or local calls for convenience if no phone in room. Usage may be 50 minutes a month or less. Almost never emergency calls. Only to have a free call for already paid for more minutes than I can use. I know about Consumer because see it on TV but never investigated. My phones work from home and I never had a call that could not be completed, but this IS AT&T. Maybe I will compare Verizon. Soon will have Verizon everything else.

Gartokk likes this.
  5. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    I have ATT and I never lose service anywhere nor have I ever been kicked off a call, even in some remote areas I was surprised I got service.

Gartokk likes this.
  6. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Anyone had any experience with freedompop.com ?

Gartokk likes this.
  7. NeilNunnery

NeilNunnery Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    ASUS
    CPU:
    Core i3
    Memory:
    8GB
    Hard Drive:
    1TB
    Graphics Card:
    2 GB 128bit
    Power Supply:
    ATX-6000W
    I'm good with my ATT and the services is good. I'm very satisfied with it, i wonder why it sounds bad at yours.

Gartokk likes this.
  8. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    BG how old is the cell phone you are using?

Gartokk likes this.
  9. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I am not really dissatisfied with ATT itself, but it is upgrading which means I will need to get new phones to replace the 2G which wont work, I am paying for many more minutes than I can use and 500 get thrown away every month, The monthly bill is $66 for 2 phones that are not used more than 50 minutes a month, and I was just wanting a cheaper service with minimal extras that more suit my needs and usage. My current phones are Sony Ericsson which I had to get when Cingular upgraded and prior ones no longer worked with system. I am now leaning toward Consumer Cellular and want to check that out. My present phones are at least 5 years old and I found they no longer sell the batteries unless online. So far havent needed one.
    But I want to find a cheap phone or refurbished and a low monthly rate and no contract with maybe 50-100 minutes a month. I do not have a contract now. Would almost never use the phones except I have all these minutes and mostly I use for long distance calls to relatives and such.
    If ATT were not upgrading I would likely not be looking, and it may be a year before it occurs. So I thought I would start shopping in case I dont like the result. But I am satisfied with present phones and service but it wont stay the same for long. Also want to check at Walmart on Monday.

Gartokk likes this.
  10. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Gartokk likes this.
  11. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    Check that out BG I have heard ads for Consumer Cellular in your area and they are nationwide...

Gartokk likes this.