1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Security and Privacy

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BGBG, Feb 23, 2022.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I usually just clear Browsing History regularly but should I be clearing any or all of the other settings as shown in the upload?

Attached Files:

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    What's your reason for wanting to clear any of that? It's not necessary and it may slow down your Internet experience.

IJAC likes this.
  3. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Certain websites that have always worked are not working now and the company suggested I clear cookies and turn off ad blockers. I do not even know what these things consist of. I was just wondering.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    That's a good reason. If you're having problems with a web site, clearing out caches sometimes help. So go ahead and clear at least that first item.

IJAC likes this.
  5. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    If I clear cookies will that interfere with logins? Never cleared them before.
    I never cleared cookies for afraid it would keeep me from logging in. The rest I did not really understand. I have only cleared the browsing data from time to time.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    If won't keep you from loggin in, but you may have to re-enter your user name and password.

IJAC likes this.
  7. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    That is what I thought but was not sure. Thanks, Tony. I was hoping it would not clear the settings/autofill/passwords data. Then I could view the logins if necessary.

8. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    MORE INFO - Re: #3 above: I order hay from the place in the upload picture and for 5+ years I havenever had an issue with the rewards points calculator. Now it does not seem to work but just keeps on turning for over 10 minutes. Used to take less than a minute for result. I notified company a few times but they blame it on cookies and extensions and such. I can email and get the points and a code but I would like it to work as it did. Was afraid to just start clearing things without knowledge. I thought if I complained or reported they might fix it or help me do so. But they only blamed it on my cookies, etc. Just wanted to explain further since still try every day and no points show up but I have a lot according to the customer service.

Attached Files:

9. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    HERE is the company's suggestion. Have always had ad blockers on and never before affected. Have nver cleaned cookies though. Afraid to. But I do have copies of all my logins.

"I'm sorry you're still having issues. Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies? That normally clears up any problems :) I also suggest turning off any ad blockers you might have as well."

10. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    The above would also be my first suggestions, Bill.

IJAC likes this.
  11. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Companies will change how their web site function. The web site may not be working the way it used to. When I worked for a "dot com" we had software engineers who were always making changes to the web site. I think they were just trying to justify their jobs.

Could be an ad blocker. Turn off your ad blocker first. If that doesn't work, clear the cache.

Or try another browser.

If you're hesitant about clearing caches because you'll have to re-enter your username and password, that's not good. You should have your username and password recorded somewhere. Comes in handy. No one ever regretted it.

IJAC likes this.
  12. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Amen to that. I regularly open FF, select show passwords, look over and remove old sites I never visit then do a print screen of what is left.
    It also comes in handy when I set up a new device (android tablet, new phone, Chromebook).

13. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I turned off all extensions. Points showed. Turned on Ad Block. Now NO POINTS. Now that I see how to do it I will try to see which extensions block points and which do not by trying one at a time.
    Have not tried passwords yet but I do not think I need all the ones I never use always on computer. I DO have a list of logins.

14. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    So Ad Block was the culprit.

IJAC likes this.
  15. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Now can't be sure. Tried turning off one at a time and logging in. Unsure which one(s) do it but I can just leave them all turned on then if I want to redeem points just turn them all off in less than a minute. I will try startup, turn extensions off then accessing points. Only have nine extensions but ole recall adding a few of them. Now all are OFF and the points show up. Maybe just takes awhile. Unsure which if any extensions I really need. But at least now I have soomething to try.

16. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Sometimes with Ad blockers they show an icon by the combo box to the right. You can click on the icon to toggle it ON/OFF easily.

IJAC likes this.
  17. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    It appears that "DuckDuckGoPrivacyEssentials" is the extension that is blocking the points from showing up. Do I really NEED this or should I remove it? Or simply remember it and turn it off and on when need be? Only need to turn it off and on each month if ordering.

18. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    You don't need it. You don't need a computer or the Internet either. However they are nice to have, maybe.

Leave it on and turn it off when you run into a poorly coded web site.

allheart55 (Cindy E) and IJAC like this.
  19. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Good idea. Thanks.

20. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I found it appears to be DuckDuckGo PrivacyEssentials extension that interferes with points display. I find if I turn it off and access the points they appear in 20 seconds or less. I can turn it off, get the points and redemption code, paste it into a notepad, then copy/paste into the actual order when I order. As soon as I get the points I can turn it back on. Easy. I only recall getting two of the 9 expensions - the WOT and AdBlock. Do not recall the others.