1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Screen Flickering, hardware issue?

Discussion in 'Specific Hardware Issues' started by Liquid Snake, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have an HP DV4-1430US with a 500gb 7200 HDD upgrade years ago---W7 nothing special

Everything was fine until my nephew dropped a train on it on the case... bluescreened and the display has flickered since. Not really a computer tech guy, but I understand the hardware/mechanical side of things.

-On a cold boot, or out of a long sleep it has a fit for 20-45 and it stabilizes and works fine. Some days it might not do it at all.

-The flicker is more of a black-out on the lower to mid part of the screen, and sometimes one white vertical line. NOT much RGB colors when it has a fit. The back light seems to be fine

-VGA monitor displays fine (extended, primary), but laptop screen still flickers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So far Ive replaced cheap stuff...
    -Inverter
    -internal vid cable (original burnt up at the hinge, so I think its good practice to replace it every few years anyway)
    -Went to a new mother board, still cheap-ish at $30, (no fix, but the indicator LEDs glow bright like new)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have not replaced the:
    -screen
    -ram
    -HDD
    -cpu

I'm not convinced that it's the CCFL, I had the screen bezel off and the glow from the seams of the screen frame was stable while the screen flickered.

Ram, bad?

HDD? I wanted to get a fresh one before the accident and before I upgraded to W10, but I'm not sure if it would fix it. It did take a hit from the train, but can it cause the screen the flicker???

CPU? Google led me here. http://computerhelpforums.com/threa...n-flickering-ive-tried-everything-else.45755/ Not being a real tech guy, I didn't know the new motherboard came without a CPU, I didnt know it was removable until I did the mobo swap. I tear this thing down annually to clean the clogged fan, which involves removing the mobo.

I feel like swapping the CPU, its the next cheapest thing since it's old and basic I guess. Core 2 duo T6500 according to the specs.

And one more weird thing, if I unplug the inverter and watch the screen with a flashlight... No flickering. Which brings me back to the back light.

Or could it be software related?

I just had a thought.... it has integrated graphics, so is it integrated in the CPU?

I could get a vid of the flickering if needed.

2. Kenny94

Kenny94 Registered Members

Operating System:
    OS X
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    iPad Air, HP Chromebook and Compaq laptop with xp
    Hi Liquid Snake and welcome!
    One of our hardware members will be with you shortly, thanks for your patience!

3. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Wow! It sounds like you already have a very good knowledge of your issue. I'm sure you will get more responses from our tech members here on CHF. I read your thread and the only thing I see where I would have a comment that you asked about, would be on Ram, Hard Drive, and CPU. There are freeware programs that can help you test those. Nearly all HD manufactures have free software programs to test your HD. Window will test your RAM, but there are better programs for that also. Have you ran a chkdsk?http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/
    I like this program! here's a whole list of HD manufactures.http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm
    http://www.memtest86.com/
    Open Control Panel and then click on Administrative Tools. You can also open Control Panel and just type the word memory into the search box. You'll see a link to diagnose your computer's memory problems. It'll then ask you if you want to restart immediately or run the test the next time you reboot.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  4. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    You could check to see that everything was seated sense it took a blow from a train being dropped on it:(, but that's not a easy task with a lap top.
    Maybe you could find some answers or help here!
    http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01597750.pdf

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  5. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133
    Hard Drive:
    Crucial 256 Gb SSD+ WD Raptor 300 Gb Sata III
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    Since the same thing happens on vga monitor it almost has to be the hard drive and you can run those hard drive utilities like Lifeguard as each
    hard drive maker has one, but they seldom tell you anything. Lately the damage I have been seeing when a laptop is dropped is to the hard drive
    so that is the next thing I would replace. I had a client drop a laptop on a think carpet a few weeks ago and blow the hard drive was all.

Then there is the matter of a $30 motherboard? That just feels a bit shaky to me as I would never buy a $30 laptop
    motherboard and expect anything to go well, even though it might have for a while.

6. Spunk Funk

Spunk Funk

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7 920 @2.67GHz
    Memory:
    16 GB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    4TB Seagate
    Graphics Card:
    nVidia GeForce 8800GT
    Power Supply:
    800W
    The video chip that is soldered onto the motherboard is failing. You can look up how to reflow your video adapter on YouTube or take it to a technician in your area that specializes in this.

7. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I may be wrong, but I think the OP said external monitor was OK??
    -VGA monitor displays fine (extended, primary), but laptop screen still flickers.

8. GimboV

GimboV Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Asus X99 Deluxe
    CPU:
    I7 5930K oc'd to 4.4ghz
    Memory:
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 2800mhz
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung 850 pro 256GB Seagate Hybrid 2TB
    Graphics Card:
    EVGA Nvidia 970 4GB GDDR5
    Power Supply:
    Corsair HX1000I
    So if I read this right the following components have been replaced:

video cable, Motherboard and inverter board.

Also when connected to external monitor the laptop still flickers but the external monitor does not.

If the above statements are correct I would look at the LCD screen of the laptop as being suspect.

donetao likes this.
  9. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    I also read that wrong Gary the first time through which is why my answer is wrong also...what he means is the monitor and the laptop screen show the same thing which is flickering so it really
    isn't fine and spunk is right it means the video chip is failing and that is as he notes soldered to the motherboard. The user mentions that the laptop has onboard graphics and suggests that might be in cpu but I do not remember Core2 Duo cpus ever having built in video and a quick check of that one says no.

10. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    OK The OP posted "VGA monitor displays fine"
    I' have to go with @GimboV Sorry Rich!

11. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    "-VGA monitor displays fine (extended, primary), but laptop screen still flickers." I guess I wasn't wrong sorry about that, if the monitor runs fine the problem is probably in the laptop screen as Gimbo suggests and hard drive could not be cause either or it would do it on the external monitor...wow I must be tired here.

12. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hey @Rich-M We have all been there. The thing about CHF is we are a team. No big EGO's and no cliques here.
    That's what's going to separate CHF and the big dog forums and that's why I'm excited!
    :clapping:

13. GimboV

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Asus X99 Deluxe
    CPU:
    I7 5930K oc'd to 4.4ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Power Supply:
    Corsair HX1000I
    I had to read it a few times also. And I posted the way I did just to be sure I was understanding it right.

14. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hey @GimboV My first reply was to the Op's concern about this. That's why I posted like I did. The OP seems to know what their doing and just wants a little advise and support. I like the team work here. Here's why I answered like I did in my first reply.
    Now all we have to do is wait for a reply from the OP!
    So far Ive replaced cheap stuff...
    -Inverter
    -internal vid cable (original burnt up at the hinge, so I think its good practice to replace it every few years anyway)
    -Went to a new mother board, still cheap-ish at $30, (no fix, but the indicator LEDs glow bright like new)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have not replaced the:
    -screen
    -ram
    -HDD
    -cpu

15. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    I agree and you know if you are wrong for goodness sake say it!

donetao likes this.
  16. GimboV

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Asus X99 Deluxe
    CPU:
    I7 5930K oc'd to 4.4ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Power Supply:
    Corsair HX1000I
    I'm like Fonzie

I was Wrrrrr wrrrrr
    Wrrrrr
    Wrrrrr

Someone else "you were wrong?"

Yeah that :)

17. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    Funny!

18. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yes, the External monitor works fine even when the laptop screen flickers. What I meant by primary/extended/secondary are the modes.

Today the metal fatigued on the screen hinge and broke on one side, which makes me want to get a new computer. Unless a new screen assembly fixes everything!

I assumed the motherboard had the graphics on it, and the train fell right were the monitor cable connector is underneath so I thought for sure that the mobo was messed up. Other people though it was the motherboard as well. I was set to get a new computer, but I thought I'd throw $30 at it. It supposed to have a warranty and has been checked through judging by the sharpie marks. The computer works better overall, except the display does the same thing.

My problem is the closest to this one of all the youtube vids I've found.

If you want I can let mine "cool off" so it will act up and take a video of it.

19. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi My advise is a new computer, unless you just love these kinds of problems. Trains and lap tops don't get along very well!
    :bnghd:

20. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive: