1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Resolution Issue Asus

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Mike Hart, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Mike Hart

Mike Hart

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I have an Asus laptop, running windows 10 and whenever it goes to sleep and I turn it back on, the resolution is incorrect. Once I restart the computer, the resolution fixes itself. Also, I have an external monitor that I would like to use, but it only works if I plug the monitor into the laptop and then restart the laptop and when I do that, the resolution is incorrect and can't be changed. Please help

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello Mike, a few comments:

1) Windows just doesn't always wake from sleep properly.

2) When connecting an external monitor, both the computer and monitor should not be running. They should be OFF when making the connection.

3) You mentioned that the resolution is incorrect. What is the "incorrect" resolution and what resolution do you want to use. Your computer may not support high resolutions. In your reply, please include the ASUS model number so we can check its specs.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  3. Mike Hart

Mike Hart

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    when it's asleep and it boots up it goes to 1024 x 768 and after I restart it, the resolution goes back to 1366 x 768 which looks much better. My model is the U56E

4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I'm thinking there may be a driver issue. I went to ASUS' driver site looking for a driver update. https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/U56E/HelpDesk_Download/
    ASUS doesn't list any drivers for Windows 10.

Looks like you have an Intel graphics chip. Let's see if there's an update from Intel. Click here to go to the Intel Updater. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
    Click on Get Started. That should take you to another page. To get started, click on Download Now.

5. Mike Hart

Mike Hart

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    There were a couple of updates through the intel link, but it didn't look like anything display related. I updated what was listed then restarted like they said to, then turned everything off and plugged in the external monitor and when it booted up, it was in 1024 x 764 and windows are clearly a little too big on the screen (Shortcut icons, chrome pages, YouTube, ect.) Any ideas?

Attached Files:

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Oh, I didn't realize you were using an external monitor most of the time. How does the machine work if the external monitor isn't connected? I'm guessing it'll run properly with just the laptop display.

7. Mike Hart

Mike Hart

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Correct, but why can't I run the external monitor with the correct resolution?

8. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Not sure. I think there's something in the settings. I don't have a W10 laptop to experiment with.