1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

registry problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sheldon, Jan 10, 2018.

1. sheldon

sheldon

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I am running Window 7, 32 bit machine, home edition. I am having trouble erasing a key from the registry. the key in question is 'Acronis'. It is found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > software. When I bring up the key, Acronis, and try to delete it I get the message 'cannot delete Acronis. Error while deleting key.' I have tried using many registry clean programs to solve this problem but nothing works. Rebooting does not help. Any ideas out there?

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi Sheldon. Welcome to Computer Help Forums.
    What Acronis Software?
    You would need full Admin permissions, to delete that Key.

3. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I use Acronis' True Image backup and its Disk Director software. I have the same key.

It isn't causing any issues. Suggest that you simply leave it alone. If you really want to get rid of it, make sure to firstly backup your registry. You can use a program like Erunt available here https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/erunt/. Might also want to create a System Restore point.

Try booting in Safe Mode.

Booting to Safe Mode will get Windows running using only minimal resources. That eliminates a lot of items that normally start with your computer and run in the background.

Instructions follow:

* If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power.
    * Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
    * Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu should appear. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again. If F8 doesn't work try F5.
    * Use the Up and Down arrow keys to find and highlight Safe Mode.
    * Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe Mode.
    * Log on with an account that has administrator privileges, usually your own account (NOT the account named Administrator).

4. tecknomage

tecknomage Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
    CPU:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz
    Memory:
    8gb
    Hard Drive:
    4tb
    Graphics Card:
    NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 770] 1990mb memory
    Power Supply:
    750w
    Acronis is backup software. (Google it folks)

You, or some other sight you visited, must have installed it in they past. These backup utilities run in the background.

Use your Task Manager and in the [Processes] window, see if you can find it. Stop the process.
    Now check your file structure for an entry. See if there's an uninstaller and use it.

SUGGEST: Download CCleaner and use it. Look in the [Tools] section, [Startup], and you'll see everything that is part of your startup cycle. Look for something having to do with Acronis and disable or delete it, then reboot.

Of course this is if you did NOT install Acronis to backup your system.