1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Query re setting up new email

Discussion in 'Email Issues' started by catflap, Dec 5, 2021.

1. catflap

catflap

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi

I've always just had an email address from my broadband provider in the past. I'm now thinking it would help to have another, separate to the broadband provider so I don't run into problems if I want to switch to a different provider in the future.

I know I can use gmail, outlook.com or other free options, but I want something secure as I'll be using it for financial stuff, so I don't mind paying a bit each month.

I believe I need to register a domain and then have it hosted? - this isn't something I know anything about at all, so was hoping to get some advice as I'm a bit confused.

I don't need web space, just a few email addresses which I can feel confident I can use securely for making purchases online and banking.

Thanks for reading!

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome Catflap.

Some thoughts ...

1) You can go the domain route. You won't need webspace but you'll need a mailbox, and associated space to store your emails. You can try GoDaddy for that. The domain will cost about $15/yr - give or take depending on the top-level domain and any sales they have going. I don't know their mailbox pricing.
    (I'm sure other companies provide the same services)

2) If you don't want to pay for a mailbox and associated space, you can still get a domain (annual fee still applies) and forward any email to a gmail account.

3) Try an independent email service like https://protonmail.com/

IJAC likes this.
  3. catflap

catflap

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thanks - I'll have a look at those options.

Tony D likes this.
: email, hosting