1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

PSU wires burnt

Discussion in 'Power Supply - PSU' started by Nathan, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Ok Hi all. First time posting on the forum. I dont know much about computers but im here on behalf of my 16 yr old nephew who put together his own computer about 3 1/2 months ago...

So my nephew came home from school today and noticed his computer would not turn on. After checking all the connections we decided to go into the computer looking for the problem. Well we think we found it. Where all the wires go into the mother board im guessing they look burnt/melted/ripped. I took so pictures so we can take a look at them. I have no clue what could have caused this and does anyone have any suggestions? rammstein 075.jpg rammstein 076.jpg rammstein 078.jpg rammstein 075.jpg rammstein 076.jpg rammstein 078.jpg

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi Nathan. I would say the PSU has caused this damage.
    Also I would go so far as to say there won't be one hard part you can salvage.

3. KenB

KenB Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Hi and welcome to CHF :)

EDIT - DSTM beat me to it :)

That is definitely a bad case of overheating !!
    Without doubt the PSU is at fault here - every wire is charred !
    You can only hope that the motherboard has not been damaged too.

Is the fan damaged too ?

What I would do would be to get hold of another PSU > strip the motherboard of all cards RAM etc
    Disconnect the Hard Drive and DVD drive
    Connect up the PSU to the m/board and switch on.
    ( be prepared to switch off quickly )
    If you get POST beeps this indicates that the m/board may be OK.

You can try putting the cards etc back one at a time - starting with the video card and monitor.

4. Nathan

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    So you think a new PSU would be a good fix?

5. Nathan

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I appreciate the your help. He never said the fan was damaged so not sure. I will have to ask him if he heard it?

6. KenB

KenB Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    If you are lucky - but I suspect there would be more damage.
    To melt the connections like that has taken a considerable amount of current.

I wondered why the photo was posted if it wan't damaged ?

You can safely assume that the PSU has gone.
    What is has taken with it is a matter of speculation.
    You will only find out when you try another PSU.

You need to carefully inspect the rest of the hardware for damage.

7. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Further. Have a good look at the motherboard for burn marks and exploded capacitors.
    My educated guess no motherboard electronics could withstand the heat generated.

8. Nathan

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Oh I just decided to take a picture of the fan for the heck of it lol.

9. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    A small comment here, wow - I've never seen that before. Of course, there's a lot I haven't seen before.

Sometimes, connections get hot because there isn't a good mechanical connection between the jack and the plug. What happens is that there's a small resistance between the contacts and that causes heat. You usually see this in household outlets when connected to heavy loads like space heaters. I've never seen it in a computer connection, but next time, make sure the connectors are properly seated by ensuring the connections are clean and the connectors are mated fully.

It could also be the crimping of the PSU wires to the connector. If the crimping wasn't done properly, there would be a small resistance between the wire and the pin. That's your heat source.

10. Nathan

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Thanks alot guys. Just trying to help the kid out a bit. First time he ever put a computer together and im sure he will learn from the experience. If I find more out I will post the results here. Thank you all

11. jaylach

jaylach Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    The only time that I've seen this kind of wire damage was on a system years ago when the power line into the house took a lightning strike. The only other thing that I could see would be a case where the power supply was too small for the system and blew bypassing resisters and sending the full 110 (or 220) volts to the motherboard.

Can't really say for sure but, to me, the fan does look damaged. If you look on the left side the fan casing looks distorted. Could be wrong but looks like heat damage to me.

If it were me, and I was not desperate, I would automatically consider the system total scrap including the case. Of course DO strip it down and try a new power supply, that I would do, but you must accept the possibility that component damage COULD damage the new power supply.

The issue with trying to salvage cards is that just plugging them in and applying power could easily destroy new parts. Unless I had a system laying around that didn't matter I would not even think of plugging either the memory or video into a new motherboard. While there MAY be others the only boards I know of that MIGHT have a quick enough shutdown to survive something like this are Asus, ASRock and DFI.

One last note... If you look at the image of the motherboard connection, just to the left of the green wire, I believe that these are ground lines. This is a total meltdown of the system ground, Build a totally new system.

12. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    In agreement with everyone here and just want to add that the motherboard will have suffered heat damage underneath that connector.
    if you try to remove it it is nearly certain the connector pins will rip out of the board underneath it and therefore the motherboard will be duff as well. No harm now in looking of course as even if a new power supply is bought to try, that plug will have to come off anyway, but do expect the board to be too damaged to salvage.

Nev.

13. Nathan

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Thanks again guys. I have more info since I dropped the whole computer off at a shop. I had the guy look at it and he came to this conclusion which I will copy off the receipt.

"Power supply connections melted into motherboard, destroying motherboard & power supply, possibly caused by extreme power surge from power supply, which may not have been large enough to supply power for video card, RAM and other devices , or outside source. Most components are probably dead (ie: RAM, hard drive, dvd drive). Other possibility is that the case may not have been properly grounded."

So luckly my nephew has a warranty on some parts. The video card and cpu has a warranty as does the power supply. But if he does go ahead and rebuild again I advised him to buy a bigger power supply and sell the new one that comes in to kinda make out. I also told him to take a picture of all the parts and specs and post it on a site like this to get opinions from you fine folk.

So right now my nephew and me are in the process of stripping it down and putting the components into the proper boxes and seeing what ones have warranties and what ones he will have to shell out money for. While taking it apart I noticed something odd on the CPU i believe its called. Kinda looks like heat damage but not sure...

Is that suppose to be clear shiny metal with no smudge marks or is it usually like that?
    Thanks guys

rammstein 008.jpg rammstein 010.jpg

14. Nathan

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Thanks dude. But when your talking about the case are you talking about the shell/tower of the system. If so why do you think he would need a new one?

15. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    What's the case wiring to the front panel look like? Nathan.

16. Nathan

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I would gladly check but i dont know what part you are referring to. Im novice so I dont really no what the case wiring is lol.

17. jaylach

jaylach Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    The case is part of the grounding system. I would trust nothing on the old system.

18. Nathan

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I hear ya on that. Might have to do some research on that to see if others who have this case have that problem.

19. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi Nathan.I would not try and use one part again because nothing would have escaped some damage.IMO
    I would buy another Case (Cheap) and start with all new parts.
    The CPU looks toast.

20. Nathan

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Hmm interesting. I dont know how the grounding system works with computers but i can only go by what people tell me. The computer guy i went to said the case would be fine and it would be the only safe salvageable part. But now it looks like it might be a risk.