1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

PSU Burnt out!

Discussion in 'Power Supply - PSU' started by Roger Spink, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Roger Spink

Roger Spink

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi All, New member first posting. I have a generic desktop with an Asus M4N78 Motherboard. The PSU is labelled CIC Pentium 4 Model 750U ATX Switching Power Supply.
    Normally it runs 24/7 only going into sleep mode overnight. I recently powered it down for four days for a visit to the UK (I live in France) on my return as usual I switched on the rear power button and when I pushed the INomp ON button; large flash and bang from the PSU IN socket. I immediately switched off. Smell of electrical burning. It would SEEM the only thing damaged was the PSU.
    My Queries:
    1 Is this likely to have screwed any thing else on the board
    2 Any recommendations for a new PSU equivalent (I don't want to necessarily go cheap)
    3Any recommended source for new psu, Mailorder
    4 I am no computor whizz but very practical and completely able to connect a new PSU providing it is hard wired the same as the original.
    Completely without comms now (this is a friends laptop) so any speedy advice will be gratefully received.
    With best regards,
    Rog Spink
    PS I have just upgraded the memory chips from 8gb RAM to 12gb should that have any bearing but system worked fine four four weeks after that install. RS

2. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    Hello Roger and Welcome to Computer Help Forums.

It's entirely possible that the PSU shorting out may have caused damage to other hardware but there is no way of knowing until you replace the power supply.

3. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133
    Hard Drive:
    Crucial 256 Gb SSD+ WD Raptor 300 Gb Sata III
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    Any additional hardware install places higher needs on existing Psu, but the ram didn't cause this, the poor quality psu did and it is quite likely there may be more damage but as Cindy says,
    you have to first replace that to find out if there is more damage. I recommend only Seasonic or XFX and also Antec HCG models because to my mind they may well be the only real good quality psus out there and with a good quality psu, your system will be fine with a 600 watt Psu as you have no need of 750. People tend to buy these by wattage and the reality of it is the standards for grading are so poor the wattage seldom means anything and the name brand here means everything. The Psu could be the most important component in the system, but its also the one people for whatever reason try to slide by "on the cheap" and the payback is when they blow out as yours did and take out other components with them and oh BTW, Psus degrade over time so one that was poor quality on day 1 becomes a serious liability after 2 years.

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  4. Roger Spink

Roger Spink

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks for the prompt help both.Rich-M how would this be for a replacement
    XFX TS Series 650W PSU 80+ Bronze? I hope am right that this is hard wired so easy to swap ''Monkey see, monkey do!'' Regards, RS

5. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    Excellent choice and its 4 screws and plugs to match up yes it is usually easy depending on the case as brand name units sometimes have tricks to remove the psu, custom builds don't and this sounds like custom build. If you are worried about getting plugs back correctly make a chart as you pull each plug out.

6. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    if a camera is handy, take a few photo's as well, all helps to prevent a mistake.

Nev.

7. Roger Spink

Roger Spink

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks Rich-M and Plastic Nev, yes everything I disconnected I marked and I have taken ten photos as a backup!! It was a bit daunting at first seeing a spaghetti Junction of wires spewing out of the PSU to all points on the board but when you start separating them a logic starts to make itself felt.Also only some 50% of the plugs on the array are actually used to further complicate the issue. The wiring on the new XFX PSU seems to be a lot 'tidier' as each set of cables is encased in it's own mesh sheathing, the end result of that should be a lot neater assembly. I will keep you informed of progress once the PSU arrives; everything is now crossed!!! RS

8. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Just a couple of tips, Roger.
    Route your cables as to not impede air flow.
    Don't force any connection as it can do damage.
    A couple of times and you will be changing PSU's in your sleep.:)

9. Roger Spink

Roger Spink

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    OK, Here we go! New PSU arrived 90mins ago; what a cracking piece of kit!!! Like Rolls Royce is to Lada compared to the old one.Connected it up and I'm pretty sure all correctly and it powered up but about 15seconds in started a continuous beeping which cannot be a good thing.....................over to you, Guys and Gals. I am very afraid that there are so many avenues to investigate now that it might be beyond me.RS

10. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Oh dear, first thing to remember is your own thoughts in your first post, that it may have damaged the motherboard when the old PSU blew up on you.
    So keeping that in mind we can only start checking out the easily removed components. The hard drive and RAM being the easiest, however you will need access to another computer so they can be checked if they are working. Can you do that?

First thing though would be a check of what happens when the plugs are pulled for the hard drive, the disk drive or drives if fitted, any other drive slots such as card readers, and all RAM sticks removed, plus also remove keyboard and mouse, so all that is wanted to be connected is the power supply to the motherboard and the push to start button. Then power up again and let us know what beeps you get then, how many long ones how many short beeps, or if like before continuous rapid short beeps.

Nev.

11. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    As Nev suggested there is a pattern to the beeps and we need to know the pattern. Sounds like ram or video card may also be blown.....same pattern beeps is video card three beeps usually ram but can be different depending on bios used on board. Unfortunately cheap Psu can take other components with it. They also weaken other components over time as psus degrade as well.
    Continuous beeping is video card as I just reread your post. Is the video plug that monitor plugs into on the top half of the tower or the bottom half? Lets hope it is on the bottom as that would be replacing a video card which is also easy because the top means built into motherboard and that would be "game over" for motherboard.

12. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    That board has an AMI BIOS. Could be video or RAM. Here's the codes:

AMI Beep Codes

1 beep DRAM refresh failure. There is a problem in the system memory or the motherboard.
    2 beeps Memory parity error. The parity circuit is not working properly.
    3 beeps Base 64K RAM failure. There is a problem with the first 64K of system memory.
    4 beeps System timer not operational. There is problem with the timer(s) that control functions on the motherboard.
    5 beeps Processor failure. The system CPU has failed.
    6 beeps Gate A20/keyboard controller failure. The keyboard IC controller has failed, preventing gate A20 from switching the processor to protect mode.
    7 beeps Virtual mode exception error.
    8 beeps Video memory error. The BIOS cannot write to the frame buffer memory on the video card.
    9 beeps ROM checksum error. The BIOS ROM chip on the motherboard is likely faulty.
    10 beeps CMOS checksum error. Something on the motherboard is causing an error when trying to interact with the CMOS.
    11 beeps Bad cache memory. An error in the level 2 cache memory.
    1 long beep, 2 short Failure in the video system.
    1 long beep, 3 short A failure has been detected in memory above 64K.
    1 long beep, 8 short Display test failure.
    Continuous beeping A problem with the memory or video.

13. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi You are getting great advise. I have also seen where continues beeps can be caused by a key stuck on your Key Board.
    Nice beep code list @Tony D ;)

14. Roger Spink

Roger Spink

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks Guys; I hope to God it is not the RAM, only two weeks ago I spent £250 on upgrading ram by an extra 4gb!! and system was sailing along when I fitted them. I'm wiped out now so will set to tomorrow with a process of elimination and report back sounds/findings, it does not help that we are on two different sides of the globe either!!! Night, Night for now.RS

15. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi Roger. I wouldn't panic yet. We will find out what went wrong.
    Is your Graphics card powered with a 6pin plug?

16. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi Roger! I agree with @DSTM (Dougie) Some one will help you solve this.
    I copied this from the internet. Some thing you might check out!
    Computer never stops beeping or has solid beep
    Keyboard or other non POST issue
    If the computer appears to be working normally (you have a display and it is booting) apart from the constant beeping or solid beep it is likely you are encountering a keyboard or system case issue.

Not passing POST
    If your computer is not booting or you are not getting any display your computer is not passing the POST. Often this beep code is caused by one of the following reasons.

1. One or more of the fans are not working or do not have a power connection connected to them. Open your computer and verify that all power connections are firmly connected. Verify each of the fans are working by leaving the case open and turning on the computer. If your video card has a fan it's likely it also has a power connector on the edge of it, make sure your power connector is also firmly connected to the video card.
    2. Computer is not passing the POST because of improper connections or damaged hardware. Follow all POST troubleshooting steps.

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  17. Roger Spink

Roger Spink

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Well today is a very, very good morning!!!!!!!!! Thanks to all you wonderful people who have advised me I rechecked all that I had re-connected in the tower and paid special attention to the sound card which many had identified as the most likely cause for concern; I'd like to say that I had not quite made a good connection there but the truth is I had made no connection whatsoever!sooooo I plugged that in and Hey Presto the beast fired up and is running like a train now. I cannot tell you how relieved I am and thank you all so very much. As you have given of yourselves so selflessly to me I think it only fair to share some of my story with you all. At just seventeen I joined her Majesties Royal Marines and served for ten years seeing action in the Borneo jungle, Malay peninsula and Northern Ireland, I finished my last four years as a Sergeant weapons Instructor at the Commando Training Centre RM, Lympstone in Devon . I left the Corps in '74 and after spreading my wings a bit finally settled in the Garage trade ending up as the General Manager of two Renault dealerships in SW England. In 2001 my wife and I decided to quit the rat race and we are now settled in South West France about 100 kilometres south of Toulouse. I have a son and a daughter, six grandchildren and four great grand children and now a computor again!
    I feel so empowered now I think I'm going to build a new Comp from scratch! Once again all, thank you all so very much for nursing me through this time.
    With best regards, Rog Spink

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  18. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Your most welcome Roger. Anytime you need help just yell.
    Glad that issue is sorted and well done.
    Building computers are a lot of fun and gives one satifaction to say "Hey I built that Computer"

Thanks also for telling us about your life. Many memories there.
    You have done a lot in your lifetime and seen a lot of the world.
    You must be proud of your achievements.

Take care Dougie.:)