1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

PS2-to-USB adapter

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by 8biosdrive, Aug 24, 2019.

1. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The USB keyboard that came with the new Dell Inspiron 3670 (Windows 10) is ok, but the keyboard and keys are smaller than the old PS2 keyboard that came many years ago, and still works well, with a Dell Dimension 8300. I looked into PS2-to-USB adapters so that I could use the old keyboard with the new system. I chatted with a Dell agent who said that the adapter and old keyboard would be noticeably slower in response than the USB keyboard. In thinking about this, I asked if the problem was with the adapter itself or with the wiring of the PS2 keyboard. I then got a response from a more senior technical support person who assured me that there would be no issue with slowness if I used the adapter. Has anyone used this adapter for connecting a PS2 keyboard (or mouse) to a USB port and found any performance issues (other than making sure the older drivers are installed into the new system)?

2. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    In the past I have used the adapter you are referring and I did not notice any performance issues.I don't think you even need to install any drivers in windows 10 for your old keyboard.All you need to do is plug it in and it should be recognized.

8_Ball, 8biosdrive and Tony D like this.
  3. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I've also used a PS-2 to USB adapter. As IJAC said, no performance issues noted.

8biosdrive likes this.
  4. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks for the confirmation. I'll order the adapter. :)

5. 8_Ball

8_Ball Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Myself as well I have used them many times to get into a bios of a few Gigabyte Z97 motherboards that had issues with a USB mouse - until it booted to windows would not be recognized with just the USB connection. I have also used the adaptors in the past even when gaming and no issues with response.

8biosdrive likes this.
  6. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I purchased the adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Ke...+usb+adapter&qid=1568170817&s=gateway&sr=8-19) and used it to connect the old keyboard to the Inspiron 3670. The keyboard worked great and I was very happy to have put my old keyboard to good use. I had only used the keyboard for a day or two when I got a notification from Microsoft telling me it was time to update to Windows 10 version 1903. I went ahead and installed the update since I had read that it offered some important new features. Shortly after installing the update, on waking the computer up from sleep, I noticed some bizarre behavior. In Microsoft Edge, search boxes would start to autofill with vertical lines (||||….); the same vertical lines would autofill in a Word document and continue to insert line after line each filled with the same vertical lines. When I went to the start menu, an empty grey box popped up (with the usual program icons missing) and the same vertical lines would auto fill boxes within it, such that I couldn't get to the power icon to shut down, and had to do a forced shutdown. After rebooting the computer behaved fine and the keyboard worked fine, but after awakening from sleep, the troubles returned.

A session with Dell technical support determined that the source of the problem was the old keyboard and PS2-to-USB adapter. Once the old keyboard and adapter was disconnected and the new (original) USB keyboard was reconnected, the problems on awakening from sleep disappeared. He said that the old keyboard and adapter was not compatible with Windows 10 (version 1903). I'm not sure if it would work with version 1803. There is something about awakening from sleep that triggers the issue, but I have no clue as to what sort of incompatibility this is. I've sadly packed up the old keyboard and new adapter.

7. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I've used a similar adapter before. For some reason it's hit-or-miss. It worked on some computer but not others.