1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Product key recovery

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Slowpoke47, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Slowpoke47

Slowpoke47 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
  3. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks- just looked at your link. My situation is a little more complicated, as I can't boot into my W7 OS. Looks like your site will not retrieve the key under those circumstances.

4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I checked out the link in your first post. I haven't tried or even heard of that product (Lazesoft Recover My Password). However, it looks promising. I downloaded the exe file and had it checked at VirusTotal.com. No threats were detected.

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  5. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Are you sure you don't have it written down somewhere?
    One of the first things I do is write down the product key. I have several note cards with product keys going back to our Windows 98SE computers!
    Then I make the recovery DVDs usually found under Programs/brand of computer because manufacturers no longer include any disks with a new computer.

Is there a sticker inside or on the bottom of the computer with the product key?

If you have a second computer, then you'll have to remove the hd from the computer and attach it to another computer then go through this
    https://www.howtogeek.com/64600/how-to-recover-windows-and-software-keys-from-a-broken-computer/

This site mentions 3 different programs from the Nirsoft one.
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/easiest...-product-key-from-dead-or-unbootable-windows/

You'll need another computer to download the tools and create a bootable CD or USB stick.

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    SlowPoke - I tried that Lazesoft Recover My Password. I used another computer to install the software. Then I launched the software to create a bootable USB drive. Once I had the bootable drive, I booted a machine using that USB stick. It found the Windows key.

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  7. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks both for the responses. I have looked all through my office for that key. The pc originally came with Vista and shortly after 7 came out, I bought a second HDD preloaded with a legal copy of 7, and dual-booted. At the time, I didn't realize the importance of that key and it was likely on the wrapper, which of course I threw away back then. Couple of days ago, I even took the drive out to see if there was a label- but no joy.

I think I'll try that site that I mentioned. Thanks, Tony D for checking it out. If I hit a snag, I'll post back.

8. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Look through your emails if you bought the HDD online. I save emails of everything I buy online until I e-cycle a computer and remove the software.
    The email might have information as well as the serial number of Windows installed, since you had to be able to tell if it was a legal copy of 7 and not a pirated key. I'd want to know that before I purchased the hard drive.

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  9. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Those emails are long gone- they were on a gmail account I closed long ago when I found out how intrusive Google is. Currently we use no aspect of Google- no Chrome, no Search, no Youtube as well as no gmail.

As stated earlier, at the time I bought that disk, I didn't understand the significance of the product key.

I have inadvertently corrupted my W7 OS, so that link I mentioned couldn't find the key. Currently doing a workaround with a system image. I'll post back with the results. Thanks for the posts.