1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with printer driver installation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Slowpoke47, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Slowpoke47

Slowpoke47 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Dell desktop and Acer laptop on LAN, both running Windows 7 HP x64. Network printer is HP all-in-one LaserJet M1522nf. This printer has its own network address and has worked perfectly in that configuration after previously being connected via usb cable directly to the Dell PC.

Have made several attempts to enable printing from the laptop, both using network discovery (which has no problem finding the printer) and manual software installation, and the installation fails at the same point, whether initiated from the desktop download folder or a download from the HP site. This same hangup occurs with or without the network firewall active.
    upload_2019-4-8_10-36-10.png
    The installer proceeds to send this info to HP and suggests the HP support page, but the virtual troubleshooter function has no answer. Of course, this printer is beyond the HP support term.

Strangely enough, during one of the attempts, the laptop did at one point produce a requested print, even while citing this failure. But currently, there is no HP software in the list of installed programs and the printer does not appear in Start>Devices and Printers. Cue up the twilight zone!

Anyone have a suggestion?

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I've found network printer discovery programs to be unreliable. Here's my procedure.
    Connect the printer to the computer using the USB port. That gets the driver loaded.
    Once that's working, connect the printer to the network.
    Give the printer a static IP address outside of the DHCP pool.
    Go back to the computer and change the port of the printer from the USB port to the TCP/IP port.

Slowpoke47 and Rustys like this.
  3. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The software suite has about 5 entries. Not sure if auto-install via usb picks up on everything. Any experience on this?

4. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Forgot to mention- I have the installation disc for this printer- when I ran it in the laptop, there was an onscreen message that files were not available for installation. But the installation files were in fact in the laptop, transferred from the PC via the network and confirmed in the laptop docs folder. These HP files were successfully used a while back to activate the printer from the PC.

5. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
  6. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Well...things are going backward. After the PC could not find the printer (all cable connections good), I removed and reinstalled the printer software from the HP site. All was then fine- all printer functions worked as expected through the network router.

Followed TonyD's advice and loaded the printer software into the laptop from the HP site with the printer connected directly to the laptop via usb cable. The printer successfully printed a test page in this configuration. Then reconnected the network cable to the printer and now neither the PC or the laptop can find the printer, shows as "offline" in "Devices and Printers" on both machines. The network cable to the printer shows a green light and blinking amber light, so data transmission is ok. The port designation seems correct.

What's the next move?

7. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Update- once again removed and reinstalled the HP driver software in the PC- now all is well there again. But, with the same strategy in the laptop, the printer appears , but ghosted, in Start>Devices and Printers, meaning the laptop can no longer find it. The name and IP address are the same in both machines.

Both machines also have a secondary HP driver called Universal Printing PCL6. And both machines will print using this driver. Anyone have an idea why the laptop cannot "find" the printer when using the main driver software? This worked ok a couple of days ago. But maybe I shouldn't spend too much time trying to figure it out!

8. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Recap and update:
    Dell desktop and Acer laptop both running Windows 7 HP on LAN. Printer on network is HP LaserJet M1522nf MFP. This printer was previously connected to the Dell PC via usb cable but some time ago reconfigured to a dedicated port on the network router with the intention of making it available to the laptop without going through the PC. The printer worked as expected for several months with the dedicated port, printing and scanning on request from the PC.

Recently added the HP software, downloaded from HP, to the laptop. The installation was drama-free, and the printer printed successfully from the laptop. However, with this change, the PC could no longer find the printer, which shows up in Start>Devices and Printers, but is ghosted and labelled as offline. Both machines have the same HP software. The printer name, assigned by the installation software, and port ID are the same in both machines. If I remove and reinstall the software from either machine, the other machine can no longer find the printer, which then appears as above, thus unavailable. I have tried removing and reinstalling the HP driver software in each computer several times, but can’t get both machines to see the printer at the same time.

When the target printer is ghosted, pages can be sent to it and are then stored in the queue. It seems, as in the famous movie line, that “what we have here is failure to communicate.” But I’m baffled as to what to do next. Anyone?