1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Networked Computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by graceface, Dec 4, 2008.

1. graceface

graceface Junior Member

I would really appreciate if someone could give me some advice about this. We have a small business here with 5 computers with Windows XP Professional all networked together. We do not have an outside server, but we are all able to share files. However, we want to find a way to password protect certain files and folders or make them unreadable, undeleteable, unmovable except by the administrator. We have someone who is just learning how to use the computer and sometimes accidentally moves and deletes stuff and we can't get it back. We don't know how he does, but we need to find away to have the information that we all share more secure. Also, if anyone has a good idea on an automatic back up system that would be helpful too. Thanks!!
    :eek:
    G

2. BSchwarz

BSchwarz Guest

Edit the user permissions to allow reading only. Disallow everything else.

3. graceface

graceface Junior Member

Yes but how do I do that?? I cannot find anything that says "user permissions" that is exactly what we want to do, and actually, a lot of our files are read-only but somehow this still happens, they get moved or disappear

4. BSchwarz

BSchwarz Guest

Start > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > User Management. Select the user and remove all permissions except read.