1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem creating recovery drive

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by 8biosdrive, Mar 2, 2019.

1. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I'm setting up a new Windows 10 Inspiron 3670. My first task is to create a Windows 10 recovery drive. I inserted a brand new 16 Gb Kingston flash drive into a USB 3.1 port, formatted the drive as exfat, then created the recovery drive. The system showed files being transferred and when I went back later to check on the progress I saw the message that it was unable to create the recovery drive. In File Explorer, two folders (Efi and Sources) and one file (reagent) appear. Was the recovery drive created or not? If not, any ideas on what the problem might be?

2. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    The recovery drive was not created, at least not completely.
    Why are you using Fat32 instead of NTFS?

Fat32 doesn't support files over 4 GB's and it also doesn't support file permissions in Windows so you would have a problem with creating the system files.
    I would format the flash drive using NTFS and try again.

3. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Sounds like you did everything right. Try again.

8biosdrive likes this.
  4. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Actually, I used exFAT to format the flash drive because it is the updated Fat32 and was recommended in a Microsoft video I watched for formatting large capacity drives. Having done a little more searching, however, I read that you should use the same formatting for the drive as was used for the operating system. I just checked the new hard drive and saw that it is NTFS. So I suspect that there may be a compatibility issue between the formatting of the source drive and my exFAT-formatted flash drive. I'll reformat the flash drive for NTFS and report back. Thanks for the help.

5. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    This raises another question. After creating the Windows 10 recovery and boot drives, I plan to install a 500 Gb Samsung 860 Evo ssd as the boot drive. I wonder if there will be any issues installing Windows 10 onto a gpt-partitioned ssd from an NFAT-formatted flash drive?

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    The format of the USB drive doesn't matter because the process will format the drive anyway. You'll end up with a FAT32 formatted USB drive. (That's what I've read.)

7. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    The reason that I suggested NTFS is because if you have any files that are over four GB's in size, Fat32 will not accept them.

8. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I reformatted the flash drive for NTFS, used the Windows 10 recovery drive utility, and got the same results: files seemed to be transferring, but after 20 minutes or so the system said it was unable to create the drive. I called Dell technical support and found that they weren't able to find my service tag in their system! However, with the order number I gave them, they instructed me to download Dell's operating system recovery tool to create the recovery drive. After downloading, this program didn't work correctly, which led to another call to Dell. After an more than an hour on the phone, they were able to fix the issue with the service tag, and then helped me to download the Dell recovery tool, which ultimately worked to create the flash recovery drive. I tested the drive and it did boot to a recovery console. In the process I learned that my Windows 10 activation key is not available for me to see (for security reasons), but stored on the motherboard! So my assumption about required compatibility between the hard drive and flash drive formatting was wrong. It may be that the problem was due to the "lost" service tag, since once this issue was fixed the Dell recovery tool download and program worked. When I get the chance I'll confirm this by trying the Windows 10 recovery utility again to see if it will work, now that the service tag issue was resolved. It could, however, be that there is a problem with the Windows image file on the hard drive, but that would seem unlikely on a brand new computer. I'm amazed at how tightly the computer's identity is tied into the OEM supplied operating system. Nothing's easy, even the easy stuff!

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  9. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    That's crazy. Glad you got things straightened out. What format is your recovery drive in?

10. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    NTFS. That's the format the Dell recovery tool used. So where is exFAT used?

11. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    exFAT is used if something needs to be shared between PCs and Apple hardware. If an external hard drive says supports Windows and iOS then it is formatted exFAT.

8biosdrive likes this.