1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem booting computer.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by tom369, Nov 27, 2014.

1. tom369

tom369

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    When turning the computer on in the morning it doesn't boot up. The fan is whirring and the floppy drive light is lit but the light next to the 'On' button is not lit up. I can get it to boot up by either turning the electric on and off repeatedly (had to do this 40 times the other day) or leaving it switched on for 5 or 10 minutes then rebooting. So it seems to boot up more easily when warmed up.

I have bought a new battery and have bought a new hard drive but the booting up problem persists. Once it does boot up it runs smoothly all day without further problem.

I can’t see any lights on at the back of the computer - only at the front next to the 'on' button and also one by the floppy drive. The floppy drive light is solid and does not flash.

There are no CD’s/DVD’s in use or USB’s connected.

The connection lead seems fine as power is getting through.

I was wondering if there might be a problem with the bios but am not well up on such things.

The computer is a Fujitsu Scaleo L

CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1917 MHz (11.5 x 167) 2600+

Can anyone give me an idea as to what the fault is please? Many thanks

2. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi Tom, and welcome to Computer Help Forums.
    First off, I see you also asked this on an old thread, so please leave that alone and we will work on this new one you have started here.
    This seems to be quite an old computer, how long have you had it?
    Also is this specification the one for yours on this link,

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Fujitsu_Siemens_SCALEO_L__5806792

Considering what you have told us and what you have tried so far, I suspect the fault is the power supply.
    However, considering its age and I assume it is still running Windows XP, are you sure you would want to be spending money and time on it?
    The operating system of Windows XP as you may know is no longer supported by Microsoft, there will be no further security updates, which in time could make it a security risk and susceptible to malware.

Nev.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  3. tom369

tom369

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home

Hi Nev, thanks for your reply.
    I have had the computer since 2003 running on XP Home Edition. Yes that's the one in your link. I think you are correct re power supply problems and also regarding the cost of fixing it V buy a new model. I think I've sort of decided to just ride it out and buy a new one when it goes belly up. I have all my personal stuff saved externally so I'm okay there. Thanks again for your help. Tom.

4. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    OK tom thanks for the feed back, any more problems just fire away and we will do our best to help,
    Regards and good luck,

Nev.