1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Printable ruled paper pdf issue

Discussion in 'Graphics Design & Photo Editing' started by OurJud, Jan 31, 2018.

1. OurJud

OurJud Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I'm using this website to try and print a grid of squares on A4, but it doesn't seem to matter what I do, the grid will not print the full length of the sheet.

https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/plain/

I set the border margins to zero on the website's set-up procedure (for some reason I can't choose borderless printing on the print set-up because it then assumes I'm printing photos and prints at a snail's pace).

The grid prints to full width okay, but stops at about 1.5cm from printing to full length.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or need to do to compensate. There's a custom page size available, and I tried setting this to about 5cm longer than the standard A4, but got the same result.

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Most printers can not print to the edge of the page. What make/model printer are you using?

OurJud likes this.
  3. OurJud

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    It's a HP Deskjet 5440, @Tony D, but I don't think that's the problem as the margins widthwise and to the left of the page are acceptable (2-3mm at most). It's just that the printing stops for the last 1.5cm of the paper as it comes out of the printer.

In other words, (holding the paper landscape) I end up with a grid which almost prints to the the top edge, the bottom edge, the left edge, but which stops 1.5cm from the right edge.

I tried creating the grid in GIMP and get exactly the same results.

I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with the paper not being supported by anything for the last couple of cm, if that makes any sense? What I mean is that because there's nothing holding the paper, it can't print to the edge of the part that comes out of the printer last.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  4. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi Jud.
    To me you possibly have the page size wrong, in settings.

OurJud likes this.
  5. OurJud

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    No, it's not that @DSTM (Dougie).

I tried everything. I made sure the A4 dimensions matched that of the paper I was using. I even tried it with a custom image where I entered the dimensions manually. I haven't tested the theory, but I'm sure it's something to do with the printer not being able to print on the last 1.5cm or so of paper as it comes out of the printer, as it's not supported by the rollers.

Anyway, I'm going to mark this thread as done (but unsolved). Life's too short - I shall buy a ream of squared paper instead.

Thanks for the help anyway, chaps.

[edit] seems this forum doesn't have such a feature, I'll leave it to you mods in that case.