1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Presario F700 Battery Mystery!

Discussion in 'Power Supply - PSU' started by DJH, Aug 13, 2015.

1. DJH

DJH

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hello all, I just joined this forum and I hope this issue hasn't been addressed yet!

I have 2 Presario F700 that I dug out of the attack a couple weeks ago that I forgot I had. The batteries were dead (no good) on both of them so I purchased a new one from eBay. One laptop was my step sons and it is in very bad shape. The screen is broke, keyboard is missing keys, case is broke and so on. The 2nd laptop is in fine condition but, when I put the battery in, the blue light on the charging port lights up, the battery icon has a plug showing, and when I put my curser on it, it says "plugged in, charging", but it isn't charging. The battery continues to drain while plugged in. The first laptop does charge the battery tho. Any ideas on what the problem could be for the "plugged in, charging" but not charging issue?

2. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133
    Hard Drive:
    Crucial 256 Gb SSD+ WD Raptor 300 Gb Sata III
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    Most of those are bad power cord or battery.

3. DJH

DJH

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks for the reply Rich, but I have a second F700 that the battery charges with. The screen is busted so it can't be used but it will charge the battery.

4. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133
    Hard Drive:
    Crucial 256 Gb SSD+ WD Raptor 300 Gb Sata III
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    If you want to do that all the time you can but actually you are either proving my point or showing the connection otself and therefor the motherboard is the real problem.

DJH likes this.
  5. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    As Rich suggested, the most likely fault is either something odd with the power connector on the laptop, or on the power handling part of the motherboard. It would seem that the power handling section is actually a complete part of the main motherboard, so in order to get one good computer from two bad ones means swapping the motherboards over. If you are confident in following instructions and using, as well as having the tools, I found the complete service manual complete with instructions for removal and refitting of the main board. Scroll down to page 65 Here :-

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295900.pdf

An alternative to that might be to swap the busted screen and lid plus the keyboard and leave the motherboard alone. Instructions for that are also to be found in that manual

Nev.

DJH likes this.
  6. DJH

DJH

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I appreciate your time PN. I've thought about swapping parts out, I was just hoping it might be a software or driver malfunction.

7. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi, considering the battery charges without the computer running, there cannot be any sort of driver or other software involved, it does have to be a hardware problem.
    Software or drivers for power management only come into the equation once the computer is running, so as to get the best out of the battery when discharging it.

Nev.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015