1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Power Issue

Discussion in 'Specific Hardware Issues' started by Chester Jones, May 16, 2016.

1. Chester Jones

Chester Jones Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I have a HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop with a nvidia graphics and a AMD Turion X2 64 processor. I am having troubles keeping it turn on. Sometimes I can turn it on and be using it for a little bit and with no warning it will just go black like someone unplug the power and battery. Normally you can get through a download like download avast. Once it goes off if you push the power button it will light up and sometime get to the welcome screen or hp screen before shutting right back off and sometimes it will go off before the hp screen comes up. Once you let it set a bit it will finally come back on and repeat the same process again. I first thought maybe it was overheating and put it on a air vent and had the air blowing on it the whole time. It stayed running the whole time the first time it was on the air vent. I tried it again a little later on using the air vent and it shut off while on it. It was plenty cold enough to the second time when it shut off while on the air vent. Can anyone give me some advice on what's going on with it or how to fix it or even if it worth fixing?

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Has it ever been cleaned? I mean using compressed air to blow out all the vents and openings on it.

3. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Adding to Bassfisher's advice, some HP laptops of that era running AMD processors ran into problems with the main boards which required a 'reflow'. If it gets worse, even after cleaning, it may need to be looked at by a professional. My experience is that reflows work for about 6 months before the symptoms reappear.

4. gijoetech1

gijoetech1 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    is the power manegment in High Performance for the cpu or HP Recommended ?
    and try to change the cpu usage from 99% to 90% that should do the work
    i find for the hp loptop a cooling pad with extra fans is a must my oppinion

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  5. Bill

Bill Registered Members

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Asus P8Z77-V
    CPU:
    Intel i5 3570
    Memory:
    8GB Kingston DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive:
    Plextor SSD SATA 6 128 GB, WD Velociraptor 150g
    Graphics Card:
    eVGA GTX 550 TI
    Power Supply:
    Antec NeoPower 550w
    You also might want to download Speccy from Piriform. It does a good job of telling you what is going on with temp.
    piriform.com

6. gijoetech1

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    i agree bill :thmbup:

7. PseFrank

PseFrank Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Some good advice has already been given, but I would strongly advise that the CPU fan is removed from the machine and carefully cleaned. Also the venting on the case should be carefully cleaned as well. It's not uncommon for dust and hair to build up on the vent that resembles a tiny piece of carpet. It's unlikely that this could be removed without taking the laptop apart.

If you do the above yourself be sure to clean off the old thermal compound from both the CPU and the graphics chip, and replace with new compound.

IceMan37 and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  8. gijoetech1

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Unless you are confident of renewing the CPU paste yourself, it might be an idea to have a professional do the job for you. Too much paste is as bad sometimes as not enough. Please ask if you need advice in this direction.

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  9. Chester Jones

Chester Jones Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Can someone please explain what reflow is? Is it possible that a laptop can over heat due to dirt even if it is running while on a air vent and the bottom of the laptop is freezing cold? I will start by blowing out the vents and try each thing you guys have mention.

10. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Reflow soldering is a process in which a solder paste (a sticky mixture of powdered solder and flux) is used to temporarily attach one or several electrical components to their contact pads, after which the entire assembly is subjected to controlled heat, which melts the solder, permanently connecting the joint.

Yes the fans on a laptop suck in air so they are also sucking in dust and other air born particles. Most of the heat form a laptop escapes through the keyboard so you will need to clean that as well.

11. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Reflowing the motherboard is where a motherboard is placed in an oven at a certain degrees for an amount of time to reflow the solder in case for example it may have what we call a dry joint.
    I personally only see this method as a temporary fix as normally it doesn't last that long.
    If this is suspected better off buying a new motherboard.

Yes the bottom vent will be cold as that is your air intake vent, so it will always be cold.
    The vent on the side is your exhaust vent.
    If your computer has been left that long as to shut down, then blowing air is useless,
    because all you are doing is blowing lumps of like felt somewhere else on your hard parts.
    At this point it should be professionally cleaned out. IMO.
    Air is good if used right from new regular but not in your case when it is all choked up.

I think all the symptoms point to overheating so deal with this first.
    If there is a remaining issue we will look at that after.

This is common dust buildup on a laptop inner exhaust filter,which is like felt. Cannot be removed unless it is pulled apart and cleaned properly.

c01658911.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  12. PseFrank

PseFrank Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Edit to reflect that Rusty andDougie posted while I was still typing... Don't you just hate it when that happens!... :biggrin:
    Soldered joints on a motherboard can crack and come apart over time. In its crudist form "Reflowing" means removing your motherboard from the computer and baking it in an oven until the solder on the board melts and rejoins. As Tony has already pointed out though, six months (or less) down the line you could be back at square one. I'm sure there are people who could explain it better than I have done. A better option would be to try and source another working motherboard. Take a look at the video below if you want to know more.

Computer Help Forums DOES NOT advise trying this at home.

13. IceMan37

IceMan37 Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    MSI Z87M-G43
    CPU:
    I5 4690k @ 4.6
    Memory:
    16GB Hyper X 1866
    Hard Drive:
    1TB WD_Blue | 240Gb Sandosk SSD
    Graphics Card:
    eVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Power Supply:
    750W Tt
    That is an excellent explanation of Reflow above, and I also agree that if it is really dirty inside, and also to the point of a somewhat sticky grime too, it's time to take it to a professional shop where they deal with laptops mostly, and if you do that make sure you check out the local business ratings on them and the feedback, and get some word of mouth recommendations too. If you brought it to me I would slowly take it completely apart (or mostly as needed) and clean it out very slowly and methodically both with lightly alcohol soaked lint free cloths (machine cleaning cloths) and canned air with special laptop nozzles that I have along with specially shaped q-tip like machine cleaning wands with very thin and flexible heads that can get into small areas. I also had an inverter I could use to hold the laptop upside down in mostly free space I built out of some small home exercise equipment (Body by jake I think) of all things so usually when I blow out laptops I used this apparatus.

Normally after this was done, and I boot the thing to make sure it's working well and then would go through the processs of reseating the CPU with new thermal TIM

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Rustys likes this.
  14. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Most CPU's require the motherboard to be removed to get at the CPU.
    Your saying assemble and dismantle twice?
    Makes more sense to me cleaning and applying paste at the same time.
    Why would you put it together without paste when you know you would be applying paste anyway.
    You need the paste in first so you can test properly.