1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Power button flashes for half a second but computer does not turn on.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by Computerilliterate, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Computerilliterate

Computerilliterate

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I'm not sure of the specifics, but I think it may be due to overheating, I had escape from tarkov running on its menu after exiting a raid and many tabs on at a time, then I went to the washroom for roughly fifteen minutes and came back to my pc off and not turning on no matter what I did. I dusted it and waited a bit but to no avail. I've also checked for power shortage risks and came up empty.

2. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    That sounds like a possible power supply failure. There could of been a power surge or the power supply just died. If you have another power supply on hand or could borrow one to check to see if it turns on that would give you a starting point.

3. Computerilliterate

Computerilliterate

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thanks! I'll definitely try that, conveniently there's a computer store right by me.

4. Computerilliterate

Computerilliterate

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Well, that didn't work. I also checked behind the power button for any wiring issues but didn't find any. I might just take it into the shop tomorrow though and hopefully I won't get shafted.

5. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Well sorry to hear that. It is very possible it could of over heated but I believe there is thermal protection in the CPU to shut it down before it gets damaged. Hopefully the shop you take it to will figure it out.It could be the motherboard or the CPU at this point they will have to do some trouble shooting. I saw a video a tech made that was like your problem and it turned out to be the reset switch was bad. He replaced that and it worked but you would have to disconnect it from the mother board to check it.If your computer doesn't have a reset switch then maybe it would be the power switch hard to say.

6. Computerilliterate

Computerilliterate

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Well thanks for the help anyway! I'm just gonna take it in and admit defeat haha. Thanks again for taking some time out of your day to help a kid like me.

7. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    You are welcome happy to help out hopefully they can sort it out for you. Let us know how you make out and if there is any other problems please come back.