1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible PSU Problem???

Discussion in 'Power Supply - PSU' started by AnotherCitizen, Jul 5, 2016.

1. AnotherCitizen

AnotherCitizen

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    I have a Gateway GT5678. I can turn my computer on and after about 20-30 minutes it completely shuts down. No beeps or flashes it just shuts down. I can start it right back up and it'll run 20-30 minutes and do the same thing everytime. Any ideas on where to start? This used to be my parents computer, but like everything else they buy instead of putting a little money into it to try and fix the problem they just bought another computer. It's been sitting in a room for about a year untouched so I decided to bring it in my room and see if I could figure out what it is. Help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi and welcome to Computer Help Forums.

Have you any temp monitoring software installed?
    If not, download "Speccy Free" and monitor your temps just before shut down.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Then to check if Speccy is accurate, go into the Bios under "HardwareTemps" and compare the readings.

Have you checked the "event logs"?

3. Drew

Drew Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi (sorry, don't know your name),

Maybe not but, it is probably shutting down due to overheating due to dirt & dust inside it. Fan cannot cool the CPU, it reaches "Threshold" temp & shuts down to prevent destroying the CPU. Please read THIS. Put a tester on the P/S but, from what you describe it likely needs cleaning.

It is, also, wise to have temperature indicator on one's screen. This one called Core Temp is fine & the one I have used for many years & recommend to my clients... you can find it HERE.

4. AnotherCitizen

AnotherCitizen

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    I'm about to download "Speccy Free".
    How do you check event logs? And what kind of information do these event logs provide? Also, I took all three of my fans out and cleaned them thoroughly. Sprayed the whole inside of tower with compressed air and put everything back together. Note the fans themselves had dust and dirt built up pretty thick on them along with dust that covered the mother board. I turned my computer on last night and after about an hour of watching it to see if it would shut off I fell asleep. Woke up and it was shutdown. Turned it back on, fiddled around on it for 30 minutes then did cleaned my room, did laundry, watched a little tv and came back and it was still running and has been ever since. But if away from it for long periods i'de put in to sleep because I left the side of the case off and touched the mother board with my hand and it was pretty hot. I'm not sure how hot those things can get or what's considered normal but it scared me because I didn't think they could get that hot. So since I cleaned I haven't left it running to see if the problem was still there in fear of the motherboard getting destroyed.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  5. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  6. Drew

Drew Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Here's a FYI :)

If you hit the Win key OR the Windows logo and begin typing e v e n ... you won't get to the 't'... you'll see Event Viewer & View event logs. Both, either will take you to what "Have you checked the event logs?" referred. The event logs are in the Event Viewer :)