1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Bug Problem!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by John Stenger, May 18, 2022.

1. John Stenger

John Stenger Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    I'm running Windows 7 Pro on an HP small Factor PC, and lately I'm getting an extremely slow startup before I can use any Programs! Plus I'm getting a lot of visual disturbances Like Like White square Boxes popping up all over my pages. Seems like something is not right! but not sure what is happening! I ran several basic spyware scans but nothing obvious appears!

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Slow startup is usually caused by programs starting with Windows. Hold the Windows key and tap the R key to bring up the Run dialog box. Type in msconfig and click OK. See what's listed in the Startup tab. You can uncheck everything except maybe your protection (anti-virus). Restart and see if it runs any faster. If it does, it's one of those startup entries.

The white squares may be caused by a failing graphics chip or RAM. If you have two or more RAM modules, remove one at a time and see if it changes things. Removing RAM will make your computer run slower - so expect that while working on the problem

IJAC likes this.
  3. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hello Tony D! I looked at Startup, but most of it is unchecked! and It's not just on Startup! even later on! when I'm doing things like saving a photo to my Pictures, there is a considerable delay until that save box appears! Today I switched from the Opera Browser, to using Chrome! ..and so far I see none of that happening with Chrome! So I just don't know!

4. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Seems you got the browser sorted out.
    But, slow startup with not much loading could indicate that the hard drive is either too full or failing.
    1. What is the size of the hd and how much free space?
    2. About how old is the hard drive in your Win 7 computer?

allheart55 (Cindy E) and Tony D like this.
  5. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hello Plodr! It's all pretty old I'm not sure how old! ....here's a shot of the HD Space!

Attached Files:

6. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    I have been using Chrome Browser all day today, and absolutely no sign of any symptoms! ..very fast also! I have had Issues, with the OPERA Browser before, so it might need a total reset!

7. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Your picture doesn't show the info I asked.
    1. Click on Computer.
    2. Right Click on C and select Properties.
    3. Post a picture like this
    disk_info.jpg
    That shows the info about not only the size of the hd but also how much is used and how much is free.

8. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hello plodr ..here it is! I think it may be the browser because, I have been using Chrome with no issues! and then I went back to Opera, and the trouble was still there!

Attached Files:

9. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    You have lots of breathing room on your hard drive. So space isn't the problem. But since you don't know the age of the computer, a slow startup could be a sign that the hd is aging. The choice of a browser has no bearing on slow startups.
    I don't run Chrome on any Windows computer. I also don't run Opera so I can't help with that.

10. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    plodr I may not have been explaining this properly! actually the PC startup is not very slow! All the Icons come up quickly, but when I start to open the Opera Browser, that's when the delay starts! Sites will not open! and sometimes I get a message that Opera is not responding! Those Circles keep revolving! but nothing happens for quite awhile, and sometimes the screen goes from the browsers white screen to Blackout! I never really thought about it, but it's not the PC! it's the Browser that's Dragging!!

11. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Seems like your problem has been solved by switching browsers.

12. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    plodr Yes I think that's it! I have been using Chrome for days now, and not a single issue! I may have to do a factory reset on the Opera, to fix it! Sorry to waste your time, on this false issue! ...but as always! I appreciate all your Help! John

13. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    You aren't wasting time. Others might use Opera and see it causes issues. We are volunteers here who try to help people with computer problems.
    You can't do a "factory reset" on Opera because Opera was not installed on your computer when it came from the factory.
    You can use something like Revo Uninstaller to remove all traces of Opera then download the latest version and install it. If you uninstall it completely (Revo removes registry entries as well as just the program), be aware that you will lose all your bookmarks and login information.
    You might want to be sure you have usernames and passwords written down somewhere so you have access to every site. Check also how to make a backup of your bookmarks before you remove Opera so you aren't missing some favorite sites.

14. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    plodr Again I'm using the wrong terms to explain! I don't mean Factory Reset! Opera Browser has a reset procedure, in which it deletes everything except your Bookmarks! ...and the Bookmarks! are my most valuable possession with Opera, because I have been using it for years! So I'm going to try it! ..but if it does not work properly any longer, ..I will just keep using Chrome, and use opera as a Bookmark reference!

15. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Most, if not all, browsers have a feature to export and import bookmarks. Typically you would save bookmarks to an html or csv file that you can later import into another browser. I like to save to both types if the options are available. I don't have Opera on my computer so I checked an Opera forum and found some info for you.

For bookmarks, go to the URL opera://bookmarks and use the drop-down at the bottom left to export bookmarks to an html file.
    You can then import them into other Chromium-based browsers like Chrome and the new Microsoft Edge. And, you should be able import them into Firefox as well.

For passwords, goto the URL opera://settings/passwords and click the kebab menu (3 vertical dots) to the right of "Saved Passwords" and export your passwords to a csv file. You can then import them (using the same menu) into other Chromium-based browsers or another Opera if you enable the flag chrome://flags/#PasswordImport. For Firefox though, you'd have to import the csv file into the new Microsoft Edge or Chrome and then import from them using Firefox's import option in the meatball menu (3 horizontal dots) at the URL about:login, or use a 3rd-party tool or extension.

Source: https://forums.opera.com/topic/40531/exporting-bookmarks-and-settings-from-opera-to-other-browsers/2

IJAC and allheart55 (Cindy E) like this.
  16. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Tony D Yes I'm doing a browser reset today, I just hope I don't lose the Bookmarks as I did in the last reset! ..even following all of Operas directions!

17. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Save your bookmarks BEFORE doing the RESET.

allheart55 (Cindy E) and IJAC like this.
  18. John Stenger

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    I went into Opera Files, Saved the Bookmarks just in case! Then did the Reset! but remarkably the Bookmarks did not disappear! They are all still there! and Browser seems to be fast and Normal again! ...Thank you Tony D, & Plodr for your Help!