1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Pci The Same As Pci Express???

Discussion in 'DVD/CDROM Drives' started by timh1111, Aug 17, 2012.

1. timh1111

timh1111 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Dell Inspiron
    Memory:
    8 Gigs
    Hi folks. I was working on my mom-in-laws Dell Dimenwsion 2400 (which I rebuilt a few times already) but can't remember....is PCI the same as PCI Express? Were going to get her a new CD drive tomorrow (she doesn't need "write" capability). The one she has now fails to communicate. Motherboard sees it, just no response from drawer open or read capabilities. It's 33mhz! YEAH, I know, it's old. But at 77, she doesn't need all the "bells and whistles"!!

2. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    As for the title a PCI and PCI express interface are entirely different and not compatible despite having similar functions.

I am not sure that you are even going to be able to find a basic optical reader without burning capacity. It really should not matter as long as it is compatible with the one you are going to remove. If it is IDE (big ribbon cable) just replace it like for like. Another option is to get a USB external drive and save yourself the bother of opening up the case and installing it.

3. timh1111

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Dell Inspiron
    Memory:
    8 Gigs
    Thanks BCB. It is an IDE. I don't mind opening the case because it's REALLY easy to work on. I agree, may have to get a R/W which is OK. For a PCI-IDE at 333mhz it should be pretty cheap. Just want to keep the mom-in-law up, happy and running!!!

4. Match

Match Registered Members

Abit AN52
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon dual core 5000+
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    160 Gb Hitachi 500 Gb Western Digital
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    :lglaf: Don't all us males love a quite life.

sorry back to topic

5. timh1111

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Dell Inspiron
    Memory:
    8 Gigs
    Thanks everyone for the direction. I swaped out the old CD ROM with a CD/DVD RW (like BCB said, can't find a ROM anymore). Also did a good cleaning on it with canned air. I got enough dust out and from the vents to make a wig!!!! :D Started the CPU up, windows saw the new drive, loaded the drivers and away we went. Was able to load the drivers for her camera so she could view her pics on the computer. I tried using Windows pic viewer but it would have been too many steps for her to remember. The camera software is only a couple of clicks to view the pics as thumbnails and to edit. My NEXT question is this. I made the mistake when first plugging in the camera to use Windows Pic Viewer and designated it to ALWAYS use this option. Now, when ever the camera is plugged in, Windows pic viewer opens automatically instead of the camera software. How do I UN-designate pic viewer as the main program to use when the camera is plugged in?

6. Dalo Harkin

Dalo Harkin Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    ASUS - are there any others worth buying?
    CPU:
    Q6600 at 4.0Ghz per core (Watercooled)
    Memory:
    OCZ PC8500 4x1GB sticks
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung - all the way
    Graphics Card:
    XFX 260GTX rev 1
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 600Watt
    Right click on one of the files, select open with..... the programs capable of opening the file will be listed click the one you want to use and at the bottom of the box is a tickbox that says 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file'