1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

[Solved] Pc will not turn on.. PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Specific Hardware Issues' started by DCUPMIDGET, Mar 15, 2017.

1. DCUPMIDGET

DCUPMIDGET

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hello, sorry if I put this in the wrong section, I'm new to all of this as I've never had anything wrong with my pc. I don't really know much about them either and I've tried everything I can. I turned my pc on today, everything was working fine, I got up really fast not realizing my usb port to my phone was on the floor, it ripped out of the pc and ripped the plastic peice out of the port, after that a message came up about a usb powe surge usb required too much power or something like that, my keyboard and mouse wouldn't work, however my pc was running fine still. I hit the power button and it shut off (I didn't hold the power button, just clicked it) and now it won't turn on at all. The breakers aren't tripped, the cords are all connected tight, I tried unplugging the power supply and holding the powe button, I don't know what else to do. Thank you in advance guys, I'm really scared I lost everything
    :(

2. Bill

Bill Registered Members

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Asus P8Z77-V
    CPU:
    Intel i5 3570
    Memory:
    8GB Kingston DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive:
    Plextor SSD SATA 6 128 GB, WD Velociraptor 150g
    Graphics Card:
    eVGA GTX 550 TI
    Power Supply:
    Antec NeoPower 550w
    That's ok about the double post, I deleted the second.
    It sounds as though you may have created an electrical short circuit. But, you may well have "lost everything."
    Let's wait for a couple other opinions, but my first impression is if it won't turn on, we are not going to be a lot of help. My personal recommendation is to take it to a computer repair shop. But maybe someone else here will have another idea.

3. DCUPMIDGET

DCUPMIDGET

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thank you for your reply, been sitting here on multiple forums feeling like I'm speaking to a cold dark giant fog of nothing. Does a short imply that I fried everything? Only to never work again? My power supply won't even turn the fan or make a noise at all. Perhaps that's the problem? Hopefully? Also when the usb ripped out, my pc was running stable and smooth until I turned it off. If it was a short, would it not of turned completely off right then and there?

4. Bill

Bill Registered Members

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Asus P8Z77-V
    CPU:
    Intel i5 3570
    Memory:
    8GB Kingston DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive:
    Plextor SSD SATA 6 128 GB, WD Velociraptor 150g
    Graphics Card:
    eVGA GTX 550 TI
    Power Supply:
    Antec NeoPower 550w
    Not necessarily everything, maybe something as simple as the On/Off switch. But it's there and we're not.

DCUPMIDGET likes this.
  5. DCUPMIDGET

DCUPMIDGET

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Okay. Thank you. Hopefully we get se more opinions. If anyone needs any extra information or photos, please ask. I'll do what I can to the best of my knowledge.

6. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    USB ports have 5 Volts in the connector. Sounds like you shorted out the 5 Volt line. The power supply gives the board 5V even while the computer is off. This allows the computer to be alert for when someone presses the POWER button to start up the machine.

Swap out your power supply.

Note: If it is the power supply that's faulty, and you replace it, the USB port that was shorted may not work. This is because some are fuse-protected. The shorting of the USB 5 Volt line may have taken out the 5 Volts in the power supply before the fuse blew, if there even was a fuse there.

7. DCUPMIDGET

DCUPMIDGET

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thank you so much for your reply! Do you think that if instead I went I and removed the faulty usb port, that could be a fix? I do not have another power supply at the moment. Thank you so much for your feedback!!

8. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Maybe, but as I mentioned, shorting the 5 Volt line may have taken out the power supply. No harm in removing the faulty USB port. If the power supply protected itself, you may have a working machine.

9. DCUPMIDGET

DCUPMIDGET

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I have an hx750w crossair professional series power supply
    Hopefully it's still good. I'll let you know.

10. DCUPMIDGET

DCUPMIDGET

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    So I learned my pc is called a cooler master xs pc, I can't remove the usb port, but I did some checking and that usb port (connected to the same board my power button is connected) has the smell of electrical death. Maybe that's the problem? I'll post a photo if you neede to further explain.

11. DCUPMIDGET

DCUPMIDGET

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Forget what I said, the power button is not connected to the same board as the usb. I do not know how to disconect the usb...

12. DCUPMIDGET

DCUPMIDGET

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I fixes it. Thank you guys. I had to disconect my usb ports, and wah lah. No more short.

13. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Yeah!

DCUPMIDGET likes this.
  14. DCUPMIDGET

DCUPMIDGET

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    This site beats the others. Literally only place I had any replies from. Thank you all for the help!!