1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] PC stable only in Safe Mode; black screen of death in normal

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mira Tigerheart, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Mira Tigerheart

Mira Tigerheart

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4770k (LGA1150 socket)
    Memory:
    16GB (2 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 (model F3-1600C9D-16GXM)
    Hard Drive:
    (2) Toshiba 1TB hard drives
    Graphics Card:
    XFX Radeon R9 390X
    Power Supply:
    AX 860
    Hello, my PC has been very stable for years... but suddenly developed a chronic case of black-screen-of-death this Thanksgiving, and I have been unable to correct the problem at all. I am seeking help from anyone more computer-savvy than me (which is probably everyone here).

Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, build 7601, 64-bit edition
    up-to-date with all available Microsoft updates​

Hardware:
    ASUS Z87-Pro motherboard
    Intel Core i7-4770k CPU (8 cores @ 3.50 GHz each) with attached Cooler Master fan & heatsink
    (2) 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM cards (16 GB total)
    Radeon R9 390X graphics card
    (2) Toshiba 1.0 TB SATA hard drives
    OS, utility software, personal files, and a few Steam games installed on drive C: (292 GB free)
    most other Steam games installed on drive E: (90 GB free)​
    (2) Samsung S24E650 monitors (matching dual monitor setup), standard DVI connectors
    Altec-Lansing 2.1 speaker system
    Logitech G15 gaming keyboard (wired, USB)
    Logitech G203 Prodigy gaming mouse (wired, USB)​

Symptoms:
    The first few times, the screens would randomly turn black after approximately 5 to 60 minutes of runtime. If the system successfully boots in normal mode (now a very rare occurrence), this is still the inevitable fate.

As trouble progressed, black screen would begin to occur immediately following the login screen, with no progress past that point. Monitors would eventually go to sleep, indicating they are not receiving any data. This eventually became the persistent default behavior.... about 9 of 10 times.

Rarely, the keyboard fails to activate during Post, making it impossible to select Safe Mode instead of the default Normal boot.

PC will boot successfully into any Safe Mode if told to, and has not yet suffered any similar errors or failures while in this mode.

Under the System Devices list, the only driver error indicated is for something called the "AMDA00 Interface", made by ASUSTek Computer Inc. Windows says it cannot load the drivers for this component (code 31). Windows says the driver is up-to-date, and cannot resolve this issue. It may or may not be related.​

My only known fix is to press the reset button on the case, and boot into Safe Mode, if it gives me that option. It's hit-or-miss if it offers that option; pressing F8 during Post usually only brings up a prompt to choose a drive to boot from, rather than the Safe Mode page.

Troubleshooting attempted so far:
    Inspected all hardware (looks good: cables snug, no indications of any hardware failure or overheating, minimal dust contamination)
    Rollback to only available System Restore point (no effect)
    CheckDisk both hard drives (no errors found)
    Defragment hard drives (PC merely ignores clicking that button, and does nothing)
    Update AMD graphics card drivers & software (unable: forbidden due to Driver Signing issue, code 99)
    when ordered to disable driver signing during boot, system then always tries to load normal mode, and suffers black-screen after login page​

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome Mira, Did you feed that computer enough turkey and stuffing?

Moving on, you can try using WhoCrashed to diagnose your errors. https://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe
    I'd next look to the power supply. Hopefully you have a spare to swap out.
    RAM can also cause this problem.

On the other hand, you said the computer doesn't crash while in Safe Mode. So how about disabling items in your startup (except for malware protection) and go from there. You can use msconfig to disable those items. You seem pretty familiar with some Windows workings. If you need further assistance with turning off those unneeded startup items, let us know.

Please report back with your findings.

3. Mira Tigerheart

Mira Tigerheart

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    CPU:
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    XFX Radeon R9 390X
    Power Supply:
    AX 860
    WhoCrashed found no logs to analyze since last June, long before the current issues developed. There's nothing at all from the current string of problems.

These might have nothing to do with the current problem... and since these errors stopped abruptly so long ago, maybe it was fixed then?

System Information (local)
    Computer name: CORSAIR_REFER
    Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 , 6.1, build: 7601
    Windows dir: C:\Windows
    Hardware: All Series, ASUS, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z87-PRO
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Intel8664, level: 6
    8 logical processors, active mask: 255
    RAM: 17045004288 bytes (15.9GB)

Crash Dump Analysis
    Crash dumps are enabled on your computer. This system is not configured for complete or automatic crash dumps. For best results, configure your system to write out complete or automatic crash dumps. Select Tools->Crash Dump Configuration from the main menu to configure your system to write out complete memory dumps.

Crash dump directories:
    C:\Windows
    C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sat 6/22/2019 4:52:16 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062219-29031-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x5D390)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8012B101A0, 0xFFFFF88004B06D90, 0x0, 0x2)
    Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
    The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 6/22/2019 4:52:16 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
    This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl!TdrResetFromTimeout+0x214)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8012B101A0, 0xFFFFF88004B06D90, 0x0, 0x2)
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
    The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 5/19/2019 1:29:21 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051919-31574-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8016D8C210, 0xFFFFF8800493AD90, 0x0, 0x2)

On Sat 5/11/2019 1:57:59 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051119-30108-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80101104E0, 0xFFFFF8800453FD90, 0x0, 0x2)

On Wed 5/8/2019 7:59:45 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050819-29983-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8012F94010, 0xFFFFF88004523D90, 0x0, 0x2)

On Wed 5/8/2019 7:19:33 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050819-36285-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8016D164E0, 0xFFFFF88004910D90, 0x0, 0x2)

On Sat 4/27/2019 3:39:05 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042719-42338-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80160D3340, 0xFFFFF880048E1D90, 0x0, 0x2)

On Thu 6/16/2016 4:21:01 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061616-23384-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x5D134)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA801071A010, 0xFFFFF880048FDBF8, 0x0, 0x2)

On Mon 5/30/2016 3:04:30 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\053016-22152-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8012749010, 0xFFFFF88003C1BBF8, 0x0, 0x2)

On Mon 5/30/2016 12:41:01 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\053016-22308-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8012394010, 0xFFFFF88004559BF8, 0x0, 0x2)

Conclusion
    On your computer a total of 17 crash dumps have been found. Only 10 have been analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Connsider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Maybe that driver got updated somewhere along the way.

Back to today's problem. Do you have a power supply you can swap out?

5. Mira Tigerheart

Mira Tigerheart

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    CPU:
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    XFX Radeon R9 390X
    Power Supply:
    AX 860
    Unfortunately, no. I don't have any spare hardware I can try.

But if it was the power supply, wouldn't it be unstable in Safe Mode too? I ran it all day yesterday, in Safe Mode, without a single hiccup... aside from the fact that everything fun was disabled.

Whatever the problem is, it doesn't arise in Safe Mode... so it really sounds like a software problem.

I'm unsure what can be safely disabled in msconfig. There's a huge list if the Microsoft stuff isn't hidden. I disabled everything that wasn't Avast antivirus in what was left after hiding the Microsoft stuff. The computer boots into Safe Mode automatically now, too.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    No need to be concerned about services just yet. In msconfig, just go to the startup tab and disable everything except your Avast. See how that goes.

7. Mira Tigerheart

Mira Tigerheart

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    CPU:
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    XFX Radeon R9 390X
    Power Supply:
    AX 860
    I disabled everything except Avast and the Intel services, and tried a normal boot. Same black-screen a moment after the login screen.

I tried to boot with Last Known Good Configuration option... and got an instant black-screen and monitor went on standby from loss of signal. Didn't even get to the login screen.

I tried a normal boot after disabling ALL non-Microsoft services, including Avast & Intel... and the black-screen hit before the login screen, the monitors immediately went to standby, and all the fans went to maximum RPM.

Oh, and the reset button on the case no longer does anything today. I have to hold down the power button to kill it.
    At least I'm getting better at timing the F8 mashing to get that boot options menu.

Back in Safe Mode again. *sigh* I don't know what else to try. I really miss my computer...

I have enabled the boot log option, but have no idea where to find such logs. Dunno if it might help or not. It keeps unchecking that box when I open msconfig, so it might not be working anyway.

8. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Not to butt in Tony I would try turning off Avast also. I sort of remember a while back I had a computer here and Avast was causing a problem. I can't exactly remember what it was but it won't hurt just to try it. Avast may have a conflict with another program and when in safe mode the program may not be running.

9. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    You beat me to it. We were both typing at the same time.

10. Mira Tigerheart

Mira Tigerheart

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    CPU:
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    XFX Radeon R9 390X
    Power Supply:
    AX 860
    Hello IJAC; I appreciate more heads working this problem.

Didn't go well. What else could I try? I really can't afford to break this machine, either.

11. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I'd like to swap out the power supply, even though it works in Safe Mode. It's just that this problem points to power supply some times.

Other than that, I guess it could be a RAM problem. Maybe there's some software that is accessing a particular address in a faulty RAM module. If this is so and this software doesn't run in Safe Mode, we have an answer.

I remember one machine where the customer said his machine crashes constantly. I couldn't get it to fail. Then he told me it happens when he plays Spider Solitaire. I played that game and surely enough, the machine crashed. Turned out it was a bad RAM stick.

12. Mira Tigerheart

Mira Tigerheart

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    CPU:
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    XFX Radeon R9 390X
    Power Supply:
    AX 860
    Tried a hard motherboard/BIOS reset by pulling the little battery and the RAM for over an hour. Didn't work at all.

Tried the Repair option in the F8 boot menu. Nothing found wrong.
    Tried the Memory Diagnostic tool after that. No errors found.

Still works perfectly fine in Safe Mode... but only in Safe Mode. This is exceedingly frustrating!

I'll ask a friend to bring their PC over to do some parts swapping. We have very similar rigs.

13. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    How many RAM sticks are in that thing? You can run MEMTEST available here https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Problem is that it doesn't always detect bad RAM.

Other than that you can pull some RAM for testing purposes.

14. Mira Tigerheart

Mira Tigerheart

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    CPU:
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    XFX Radeon R9 390X
    Power Supply:
    AX 860
    Swapped some hardware with my friend's PC, one component at a time to minimize variables... and the results are surprising so far.

Swapping RAM had no effect. Looks like there's nothing wrong with my RAM. My friend has the same brand (G.Skill), type (DDR3), and size (16GB) as my RAM... but Ares instead of my Ripjaws.

Put my RAM back in and swapped the graphics card for my friend's R9 390P... and it booted right up like normal. No black screen, yet. Gonna leave it running for a while to test for stability... but all this might possibly be symptoms of a dying graphics card.

Odd that it would work fine in Safe Mode, though. Perhaps it has some special hardware in the card that runs Direct3D or OpenGL, and that specific component is failing? Those things are disabled in Safe Mode.

Planned to swap power supply units, but my friend has a lower wattage rating and different cord setup that would require pretty much completely dismantling his PC... so we were saving that test for last. But now that it appears to be working normally with a different graphics card, I'm thinking that's likely the source of the trouble.

15. Mira Tigerheart

Mira Tigerheart

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    CPU:
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    XFX Radeon R9 390X
    Power Supply:
    AX 860
    6 hours later, and it's still running without a single black screen. It appears likely to be some sort of partial failure in a component of the graphics card that is disabled/bypassed in Safe Mode.

I'll order a replacement card, and maybe a little RAM upgrade while I'm at it. It's been a few years since my last PC build. ;)

Hopefully that will fix things for another few years... assuming that is the real cause of this trouble. *crossed fingers*

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  16. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Great find. I hadn't thought it would have ended up to be the graphics card.

17. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Great troubleshooting happy you found the culprit.