1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Pawn Shop Bought HP windows 8 laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Allysa, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Allysa

Allysa

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I bought a computer from the local pawn shop (mom made me buy one from there despite it being MY money). I first noticed that it was a bit slow starting up, then once I connected it to internet, I was going to go to google and find a virus protection, but as soon as I got to the google homepage the computer freaked out. A LOT of popups came up, and a million voices went off, "Warning your computer is at risk..." As well as the traditional, "Congratulations you won..." I couldn't move anything, and not even Clt Alt Dlt worked. My mom got frustrated, and pushed the button that you are NOT supposed to use to turn it off (despite my having lectured her for years about it). I turned it back on, and then it wouldn't load anything, I would just freeze up automatically (although the cursor could still move). I then decided to try to reset the computer to factory settings, hoping that it would take care of any viruses that was on it. The first time I tried to reset it, I said it couldn't reset because "necessary hardware" was missing. I tried it again, and it got to the point where it said "please wait" and under it, it said "preparing"... Me and my mother had enough time to go to the gym, and out to dinner and it still hadn't moved by the time we got back! Someone please help me Q.Q I just want to reset the settings, and get rid of the virus(es) that are on the laptop! Is there any hope? Or will I have to pay out more than it would cost to buy a new one to fix this one?

2. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    Hello Allysa and welcome to Computer Help Forums.

It is definitely some type of malware and you need expert assistance.
    Have you tried starting your computer in safe mode?

3. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Personally I would take it back to the pawn shop and demand your money back, it is certainly not fit for use or original purpose.
    Once you have your money back give mom a good telling off for making you spend it on rubbish.
    It could cost a large amount of time if our security guys lead you through cleaning it, and certainly extra money if you take it elsewhere, and no guarantee that it is up to anything after the malware is removed.

Nev.

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  4. starbuck

starbuck Rest In Peace Pete Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon II x2 250 Processor 3.00GHz
    Memory:
    8gb DDR3
    Hard Drive:
    500gb SATA
    Graphics Card:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 960 2gb
    Power Supply:
    650w PowerCool X-Viper
    Booting into Safe Mode isn't quite as straight forward on Win8.
    Using the F8 key method that we all know from earlier OS's will boot you into automatic recovery mode....Which you may be able to reset your system from.

When your PC can’t actually boot to the login screen, you’ll usually be presented with the Recovery screen.
    Do you get a screen similar to this:

70a8ab62c38ebf8e927cbf7f8c350b86.png

To be honest, this is probably the best advice as the system hasn't worked properly from the word go.

5. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133
    Hard Drive:
    Crucial 256 Gb SSD+ WD Raptor 300 Gb Sata III
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    Just to pile on here the best advice given is return the laptop. Things like that should not happen right after buying a pc either new or used because that means the item was not ready for sale.

6. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Our largest Pawn Brokers here in OZ are not even allowed to sell a Computer or Laptop with a hard drive, unless it's a brand new empty Hard drive, let alone an operating system. That's "Cash Convertors"
    Maybe different laws for Pawn Brokers in other countries.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  7. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Looks like Cash Converters are an international company, that is where I got my laptop. However here in the UK I assume it must be OK providing it has been returned to factory condition, as that is how mine was, a good few hours of updates to install once I powered the thing up.

Nev.

8. hTconeM9user

hTconeM9user Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire ES 15 ES1-522-282T now running windows 10 x64 Home (build 1607.222)
    Memory:
    4096MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    See about me
    Graphics Card:
    Graphics Card Intel(R) HD Graphics Version=10.18.10.4242
    Power Supply:
    Mains with Battery
    yes cash convertors wont even buy it off you unless you the seller have put it back to factory settings and uninstalled everything on it and they run it and test it before they even buy it off you, then when they sell it they test it again.

IceMan37 likes this.