1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Pale lettering.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by larry31, Sep 4, 2018.

1. larry31

larry31

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Using Windows 7.
    Most of my online screens are showing the text in a real pale shade. ( Example: Black is pale gray. )

It's been this way for quite a while. Is there a reason most text is so light? Is there a way to make the text to background with more contrast?

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome Larry. It's probably a setting in your themes. I have to fire up a W7 machine to see exactly where.

Question for you - his this something new?

3. larry31

larry31

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    No! I've been watching pale text for quite a while. Just thought I'd see why most all lettering is so light. It's as if it is designed to be much lighter than normal black lettering.
    I did go into Ease of Access, and change to a High Contrast Theme. It did help, but it seems like most everything is setup with real pale text. Is there a reason for that?
    Even Google Maps are with almost no contrast between the road lines, and background.

4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Try this:

Find an empty area on your Desktop.
    Right click your mouse in that area.
    A context menu should appear - click on Personalize.
    Click on one the the themes - such as Windows 7

Report back on how that went.

5. larry31

larry31

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks! It did help. I was able to get the lettering a little darker, but it still tends to be more gray than black. If I choose one of the high contrast options, it changes everything on the computer. (Example: Black backgrounds, etc.) All I want o do is make lettering black, not rearrange all colors on the PC.

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    We're getting there.

Find an empty area on your Desktop.
    Right click your mouse in that area.
    A context menu should appear - click on Personalize.
    At the bottom of the screen - click on Windows Color.
    Click on Advanced appearance settings ...
    Play around with the Item drop down menu. Select an item in the drop down menu and see what you can do with in the Size and Color sections.

7. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    A bit off topic but a very interesting article
    https://www.wired.com/2016/10/how-the-web-became-unreadable/

A few years ago I had to buy a phone/answering machine for my mother who was moving into assisted living. She was legally blind. 99% of the products were black devices with pale gray lettering. I knew she'd never be able to see the numbers even if the buttons were large.
    You also can't expect an elderly senior citizen with failing eyesight and poor dexterity to try and use a cellphone.
    I did manage to find a white product. It had 4 buttons for fast dial. She couldn't see them too well so I took a red magic marker and colored two of the buttons red.

To the OP, what browser are you using? You can change the font color in the browser.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  8. larry31

larry31

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    plodr:
    That link says it all. It really ticks me off when people who design, screw around with the common sense basics.
    Everybody gets tied up in theory, and completely forgets just what they are designing for. (To be able to read the text.)
    That's like magazine pages with text over pictures, and colored background.
    If I want to see colors, shading, etc, I'll go to an art gallery.

BTW: I did play around with Windows personalization, and got my text slightly bigger, and somewhat more readable.
    Now let's dump all those bad designers, and hire a bunch of old people to design screen text!

Rustys and allheart55 (Cindy E) like this.
  9. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Again, what browser are you using? We can make sites more readable in your browser.
    I can do Firefox and Palemoon or Waterfox fairly easily. I think I have Vivaldi figured out.
    I might be able to do something with Internet Explorer or at least search and test what I find.

I don't have Chrome installed in Windows so I'm not sure if the android version offers the same tweaking as the Windows version might. (I do have a portable Windows version on a stick that I can play with if that's what you use.)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  10. larry31

larry31

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I use Chrome most of the time. Internet Explorer is on my Windows -7 , but it is real faint as well.
    Google maps are impossible to see any of the roads if I zoom in to show local roads.

11. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    What are the chances that some one has changed the settings on the Monitor?

What is the make and model of the monitor and do you have another one that you can connect to see if it shows the same?

12. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    InternetExplorer: Tools then Internet Options. It opens at the General tab. At the bottom under Appearance, click on colors.
    (On mine, use Windows colors is selected BUT you can override that by removing the check/tick). When I remove the check, text shows as black. If yours doesn't, click on the color there which might be like gray and a choice of colors shows up. Select black. Background is gray. You can let it gray or change it to white if you prefer.
    Visited is purple and unvisited is blue. You could change them to green and red if that is easier to see.

I'll need a few minutes to find my chrome stick and fire that up.

Found my stick, fired Chrome portable up and it hung. I decided that I needed to download the latest so I did that. I saw no improvement. The browser just hangs.

I'll try another computer and see if I can get further than processing request at the bottom of the browser.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  13. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I got chrome to load on my older, slower computer - makes no sense to me either!

There is nothing about changing the color of the font under settings so I've started searching in the Community forum.

https://support.google.com/chrome/forum/AAAAP1KN0B0nncQxc92_Ak?hl=en
    probably have to add an extension. Seems a shame that you can't darken a font inside the browser itself.

This isn't real helpful but it seems like you are not the only person mentioning light font in chrome
    https://support.google.com/chrome/forum/AAAAP1KN0B0UqCMESAAcjU?hl=en

14. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive: