1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Overheating when video editing...

Discussion in 'Processor - CPU' started by oweaponx, May 19, 2016.

1. oweaponx

oweaponx

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have a Toshiba Tecra, 256G HD, 4 G RAM. I have it partitioned for Windows 7 Ultimate, and Linux Mint 17.2.

Currently, I am only having issues on the Windows side. When I am rendering a video in VideoMakerFX, at some points, the fan sounds like it's going into overdrive, everything stops moving, and then, the computer goes off.

I will also have, if I leave the computer alone for more than 10 minutes, for whatever reason, it'll do the same thing...if I'm using Magic Jack, plugged into the laptop, and talking on the phone, it will still do the same thing.

So far, I've taken to using a cooling fan, which helps, somewhat. If I'm not actively using it, like making a phone call, it still does that.

I can leave it be, when I'm in Linux, and it hasn't had this problem, yet.

Would simply using some compressed air help, or would I need to do something more?

2. PseFrank

PseFrank Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    My personal understanding of video editing is limited except to say that it is resource hungry, especially when rendering. The CPU shoulders the brunt of the work when doing this. As you've already guessed it does sound like your CPU is over heating, so I would suggest pulling the machine apart and making sure that the fan and venting are clear of all dust and hair, etc. Just blowing compressed air into the vents often doesn't get the job done. If you're not used to carrying out this task yourself, then maybe you have a knowledgable friend who could do it for you, or as a last resort have the machine cleaned at a repair shop.

If you plan to do alot of video editing I would also consider upgrading your computer to something of a higher specification. Can you tell us the exact model of Toshiba you have?

3. oweaponx

oweaponx

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have a Toshiba Tecra: A10-S3501.

I have attempted to clean the vents, and anywhere else there was dust on my laptop. I also took out the battery, and dusted there. I may have to take it in, as one of the screws, the head is, idk, I want to say frayed, but not that...
    :confused-92:

Oh, and the problem with the pc being idle was the HD settings. I'm so used to having already having the settings for about 2-3 hrs, that this recent re-install, I didn't look at the settings, which has it set to go off at 10 minutes of being idle.
    :rolleyes:

So, hopefully, the HD won't be having such problems. Will update.