1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

OUTLOOK EXPRESS

Discussion in 'Email Issues' started by BGBG, Nov 17, 2017.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Is it possible to add a gmail account to Outlook Express 6 ?

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
  3. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I am trying to set this up. I tried copying the gmail settings from Windows Live Mail into Outlook Express 6 on XP but I am not getting any folders and I get a message "XO Authentication failed. Maybe OE needs different setting? It did sendx a message that was received on the Windows 7 WLM PC but did noit receive it on the XP and there are no mail folders.

4. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I had an error. I unchecked "Logon using secure password authentication" on the XP as it was in WLM and now I have folders under the gmail account. Will keep trying.

5. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Now I can send and receive on the OE6 gmail account. But do not understand the synchronize and settings box that pops up.
    Even though the POP verizon AOL account has quit on XP because I did not update the AOL security settings as required, I have kept the account in case I want to comply and get it back again. Sometimes I can be stubborn.

And now I am getting back some free time to mess around with computers again. Want to get my browser settings, mail accounts, and whatever-kind-of-ware scanners and cleaners in order so some of this not responding and long scripts issues can be dealt with. I tried the Wunderground weather site a few days ago and very slow and it said long scrips running and I continued only to get weather report for somewhere in France instead on MyTown. Have to clean things up. True it is a March 2005 date of purchase PC but still seems to work well otherwise.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  6. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Works but I have an extra set of folders under second gmail folder that is not listed in accounts and IMAP will not delete it but says to refresh it. How do I refresh and remove ti.them?

7. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
  8. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Have not had time to get back to this yet but copied the link. Ihad thought I would keep the verizon POP3 in case i needed it but I save all the mail and copied the properties and deleted the account. I am confused now about the accounts but verizon aol web mail and gmail webmail are the ones I want to put on OE6 on XP laptop. The W7 WLM laptop already has succeeded withe gmail and verizon aol webmail able to send and receive to each other and to other contacts. Now if i read and try this link maybe I can succeed in doing same with OE6. Problem now is I have 2 g mail accounts, one that works and one that does not allow deleting any of the folders for IMAP won't allow it and I do not know how to "refresh the folders" as it says, if that would help.
    If I could delete the unwanted folders and account I believe the other would work as it does now. I would really like to have both verizon aol and g mail on this laptop. I donto think the verizon POP3 will come back even if I update the security which is why it quit on Nov 7 anyway. I shall now go about reading and trying the link.

9. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Haven't read link yet. Still can't figure out how to delete the extra gmail account without messing up the working one.

PROGRESS REPORT:
    Went through whole link and thought I did all it said but when got to last item a box said server has unexpectedly terminated connection. Tried it several times without success. Maybe I did something wrong so will keep trying.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  10. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Guess I am stuck with this extra account named gmail that I cannot rename, delete or do anything with because "IMAP WILL NOT ALLOW IT". Found nothing about how to fix or delete this account or folder. In places it says it in nonexistent.
    Think I will try to add a verizon AOL mail account as I did on WLM, and the default g mail account on OE6 that WORKS and forget the one that does not.

11. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    With all the confusion you're experiencing, I suggest that you stop using Outlook Express. You have several computers in the mix. I recommended in another of your threads that you use a browser, i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox. chrome, etc. to access your email accounts. Drop Outlook Express. Give it a try. You may like it. Keep it simple. Also, I'd get rid of that Verizon account. No reason to keep it other than to continue the complexity. Besides, it's a real pain when accessing via a browser. There's just too much advertising.

12. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hey, Tony.......Guess what.? After playing around awhile it FINALLY seems to work. At least I can send from the g mail and the Verizon account and receive on both. I will now for sure once I test it more.
    I HAD already stopped using it but I missed it and when g mail account worked I was determined to get the verizon to work also. At least this one time it DID. And I DO have these web accounts on the browsers as well which might be better except that WLM and OE6 just seem more convenient. But the most important thing is I DO have 2 email accounts I can use.
    Thanks for the help, suggestions, and patience. I knew I would eventually learn to do it. If it holds I am now satisfied.

13. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Another advantage of using a browser is that the information is not stored on your computer. If you're using an email client (i.e. Outlook Express) and your computer's hard drive dies, you may lose your emails if you have OE set to delete them from the server. You will certainly lose any folders you created in OE. The emails may still be on the server, but they won't be in folders. They will all be listed in the Inbox. So, keep your OE backed up.

14. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I agree Tony...I think you are right. Something still is not right with this and so I deleted all the accounts and they all went away. I believe the reason I wanted to go to web mail is as you stated. And I admit you know far more about this than I do so I will take your advice and stop using outlook express and maybe windows live mail also. I am slow to come around but eventually I seem to do so. Thank you.

15. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    One question.....Is Thunderbird an email client program you would recommend against in favor of strict webmail like gmail.com or my free mail.aol.com /webmail that I may get because when Verizon POP account ended and I wrote they told me I could use aol webmail.
    Confused about it all and no time to fool with updating security settings by Nov 7 as they said, the account stopped. So I got free gmail, aolmail, and a gmail account on Thunderbird. Unsure which of these may be good or bad compared to windows live mail or OE6(now uninhabited), on the computer..

16. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    No reason you can't use AOL webmail. It's at mail.aol.com.

Outlook Express is no longer supported and it's not available for Windows 7 and above. Thunderbird would be a better choice.

17. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    May stop using the Outlook Express (already did) AND the Windows Live Mail. I chose Thunderbird for there seem to be a lot of Ads on AOL mail and maybe gmail also, and I read someone's post about Thunderbird having fewer ads. In the others I get 2-3 email ads daily. Big color ads I cannot delete. The letter-types I can TRASH. Anyway I think I like the web mail better.