1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Optimization not available

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by 8biosdrive, Apr 13, 2019.

1. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I am coming to grips with ssd and hdd maintenance on a new Inspiron 3670, i5-8400, 8 Gb ram, 500 Gb SSD, 1 Tb hdd + 16 Gb Optane Memory cache. I stopped scheduled optimization of the ssd until now because I've read that defragging is to be avoided. But I've also read that Windows 10 knows the difference between an ssd and a hdd, and does a customized optimization without defragging for ssds. Is this, in fact, the case? If so, I'll schedule automatic optimizations. Also, I see in the Defrag desktop app that my hdd plus Optane Memory(secondary drive) is recognized as a solid state drive and says "optimization not available." I've been reading about this and see that many others have had this issue, probably for different reasons. One person reported that on his computer there was an incompatibility between his Sata drive (I think it was Sata 2) and the Sata data port (Sata 3) it was connected to, and when he connected the drive to a Sata 2 port it solved the problem. Another person solved the problem by updating Sata controller drivers. Another got around the problem by going into Powershell and defragging his D drive from there, which apparently worked (a workaround, but not a solution to seeing "optimization not available."

I spoke with Dell technical support about this, and updating drivers didn't solve the issue, and I don't think I should have any Sata incompatibilites between my hdd and the data port. I did notice that in Services, there is no Disk Defragmenter listed, but I'm not sure if that is abnormal or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

upload_2019-4-13_9-31-36.png

Attached Files:

2. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    From my understanding optimization is the way solid state drives for lack of a better term defrag.So you are correct windows 10 will tell the difference and it will optimize your solid state drives.I do believe that micro$soft did change the terminology from defrag to optimize when windows 10 arrived.When I first got my solid state drives I was told to make sure trim was set but I think with the modern OS has it already set up.If you have a Samsung Evo you can run the Samsung Magician program and it will tell you.If you optimize you solid state drives it will be fine I did it and no problems arrived.Not sure why the OS:D says not available maybe some one else can chime in on that one.

3. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    That's because there's no issue to solve:)

4. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks IJAC, good to know I can trust Windows optimization of the ssd. I was able to see from a command prompt that TRIM is operating. Now if I can solve the hdd optimization issue, I'll be in good shape.

5. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    What about the "optimization not available" issue for the hdd? Shouldn't disk defragmenter work on it from Windows?

6. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I just found this information from Dell:

"I typically run defrag on my HDD to optimize performance. Can I still defragment once it's accelerated with Intel® Optane memory?
    Once you enable Intel® Optane™ memory, both Intel® Optane™ memory and the accelerated SATA drive appear as one SSD volume to the operating system. As a result, the options for defrag aren't available."

So it appears that with the Optane Memory cache on the hdd, the OS sees it as an ssd and says that it can't be optimized. I guess I will need to defrag and cleanup through a command prompt. I would imagine Seagate utilities would be able to access the hdd too.

7. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  8. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Thanks

9. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Thanks for the link good info.

10. 8biosdrive

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    As an update, I spoke to Dell technical support about another issue, but the conversation eventually led to defragmenting the hdd + Optane Memory. The Dell representative said some things about defragmentation that didn't make sense to me, and led to a phone call to Intel. The Intel representative said that it was fine to defragment the hdd, but that the Optane cache should be disabled before doing so. Their pdf, The Intel Optane Memory User-Installation Guide, explains how to enable/disable the memory. So once the small ssd cache is disabled, it may be that the OS will see a conventional hdd (rather than the ssd it sees with the cache enabled) that can be defragmented through Disk Defragmenter in Windows. Otherwise defragmentation through a command prompt would be the way to go. After defragmentation, the cache would be enabled again.

Tony D likes this.