1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] Offline error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by L miller, Jan 13, 2021.

1. L miller

L miller

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I have a Lenovo desktop that I have not used in close to a year. I'm not even sure if it is windows 7 or 8. I have no internet connection going to it and when I try to open windows using my password I get the error message that the pc is offline. Correct me if I am wrong but an internet connection should not be required to use a computer. I am going to give the computer away to a relative but first want to do a recovery. How can I bypass this error message and open windows. I even bought a wireless dual band USB adapter to access my WiFi but need to install the driver first. Something I cannot do until I open windows.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Are you saying that when you boot the computer, you're presented with a user login screen?

3. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    You turn on the computer and get a login screen. Your username should be shown or you'll need to select it, if there is more than one user. Entering a password will not give an error that the pc is offline. It will either load Windows OR give an error that the username or password is incorrect.
    To be sure it is a Windows login screen and not a BIOS password, does the screen look like this
    login_7jpg.jpg
    It says Windows 7 at the middle bottom.
    Or this
    windows-8.1-login.png
    for Windows 8.1

If it doesn't look similar to either of those screens, then you might be looking at a BIOS password screen or a login for a computer that was part of a company network.

I worked on one computer that was part of a small business network and got an offline message but it didn't prevent me from doing things in Windows 7.

If the Lenovo desktop was a company computer, then it has to be removed from the company network before you can create a new user and clean up the computer. (Removing all the programs that were purchased by the company and not usable for a home user).

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  4. L miller

L miller

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    The login screen is like the 2nd one pictured. What has me confused is that as I mentioned, not having internet should not prevent me from accessing the computer correct? This is my personal desktop. My laptop works fine.

5. L miller

L miller

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    That is correct

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    There might be an issue if the computer was setup with a Microsoft account. I'm not quite sure how logging in without Internet access is handled. I have no way of testing that right now.

Since this hasn't been used in some time, my guess is that whatever wireless network it used to connect is no longer available. Or if it didn't connect wirelessly, it is still looking for a connection via the LAN network.

Try connecting the computer to your router using an Ethernet cable. That will give you Internet access. Once you get this machine started, we can determine if it was set up with a Microsoft account. Then, if you wish, we can disconnect it from Microsoft by switching to a local account.

IJAC likes this.
  7. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    You are correct not being on the internet should not stop you from logging on to windows. After you are logged in then you can setup the internet. You will need a password for windows if one was used originally when it was setup.

8. L miller

L miller

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I had to physically move the desktop system to my living room where my router is located and plugged in the ethernet cable. I was able to log on and do a complete recovery of the computer. :) Thanks for the help folks.........:prs:

IJAC likes this.
  9. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Thanks for the update. Glad to hear things worked out.

IJAC likes this.