1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

New Girl On The Block

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DonnaB, Nov 20, 2011.

1. DonnaB

DonnaB Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Hi everyone! Followed a link here from Geeks to Go and thought I'd join before someone else did with my user name. Nice place you have here.

Ooooooo! Look at all the smilies! Niiiice! :snckr:

Have a nice day!

Donna :)

2. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I am a bit surprised that you found a link to us at Geeks to Go but you are certainly more than welcome here at Computer Help Forums!!!
    [​IMG]

3. DonnaB

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Hi BeeCeeGee,

Thank you for the welcome! :)

Hm..really? That could be a good thing, right? I was reading a thread and it was linked to here so I just had to follow it but was denied access to the thread it was linked to. Soooo. I joined hoping that would give me access to that thread so I could see what the experts were talking about!

Thank you for not harming any animals whilst producing this forum. (hm...no huggy emoticon)

Donna :)

4. KenB

KenB Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Hi Donna and welcome.

That's what I like - a lady who is easily pleased :snckr:

5. KlickKatt

KlickKatt Inactive Staff Member

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P5
    CPU:
    Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
    Memory:
    16 GB MEM 4Gx4|CORSAIR CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
    Hard Drive:
    2 - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s + 2 640 SATA Drives
    Graphics Card:
    SAPPHIRE 100284L Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express and 2-28" 1080P Monitor
    Power Supply:
    TOUGHPOWER 750 KW
    :mellow: I gather that adding my welcome before the line gets too long might not be a bad idea ..... WELCOME ! :D

6. redwing

redwing Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    HP
    Hi Donna, welcome to CHF!

7. Match

Match Registered Members

Abit AN52
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon dual core 5000+
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    160 Gb Hitachi 500 Gb Western Digital
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    Hi and Welcome, did you get to read the thread that bought you here?

could be and most likely during one of our updates, redesigns, house keeping sessions its been moved to a new forum, or the links been broken.

sure we could have a look to see if we can find it, or you could just ask the question again, you might be lucky and get a sensible answer as well. :snckr: (Don't Quote me on that though)

8. woodyblade

woodyblade Inactive Staff Member

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Welcome to CHF Donna

As Match says we should be able to answer the question if you couldn't read the thread that brought you here (unless you already got it fixed?), Yes Match people always get sensible answers from us lot :) there just isn't a guarantee we'll be right the first time round :D , trial and error and all.

9. DonnaB

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Hi KenB, KlickKatt, Match, redwing, and woodyblade! :)

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Awww. (wave of the hand) Stop. I'm turning a lovely shade of red here.

@ KlickKatt

Oh how I love Sylvester. He's my hero. :blush:

@redwing

Thanks! Nice to be here. Um...Social Moderator? [​IMG] Never seen that title given to anyone before. Well, except me. Yep! A social butterfly! That's me! [​IMG]

@ Match and woodyblade

No. I didn't get to read the thread from the link that brought me here. Truth is. I'm in training for malware removal at GeekU and I was reading some of the threads in the GeekU private forum concerning OTL and came upon a link concerning quote/code tags when adding an OTL fix to a thread. If I remember right it had to do with copying a canned from Athena to the post. Funny thing, I just typed all of the above into notepad and tried to copy/paste it as this reply and it would not paste so I had to retype everything into the reply box manually.

Anyway, I thought maybe the link would lead me to a thread in Malware Central but it must lead to a thread in the private Moderators forum where discussions take place. No big deal really.

The important thing , I found another forum full of really nice people that I can learn from. Ode to joy!

Also, me thinks I better check my email notification settings. I did not get 1 notification for the replys to this thread.

As for copy and pasting replies from notepad, is this a forum thing? I type a lot of my posts into notepad then paste into reply box. Never had that happen before.

Nice chatting with you folks. I'm quite sure you'll see me around from time to time.

Have a nice day! :)

Donna

10. BSchwarz

BSchwarz Guest

First off welcome to the community.

I haven't had anyone report a problem copying and pasting from notepad. In fact this reply was typed in notepad and pasted in.

One thing to try is make sure the cursor is actually in the reply editor. If you don't click in you'll get the default right click browser menu.

11. Match

Match Registered Members

Abit AN52
    CPU:
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    Hi Donna :D

I would say your best option is to ask Starbuck or Etavares in the General Malware Forum, I have an Idea what your talking about but after quickly scanning through a few threads I just can't for the life of me find an example.

12. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Actually I have noticed that the paste option often does not come up in FireFox and this Software. It is a bit hit and miss. However, there is a little Paste icon that can be found in toolbar options that works perfectly and can be dragged anywhere without taking up space and Control + V always works.

13. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Welcome Donna, and a real wow, we have a possible new malware remover. I hope you are successful in that and wish you all the best in your training.
    One thing I have found, if using the right click menu for paste, you must have the mouse cursor or pointer in line with the cursor in the reply box, it will not give the paste option if clicking anywhere else in the reply box. Using Firefox here by the way, so don't know what happens with Internet exploder..

Nev.

14. DonnaB

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Hi BSchwarz,

Thank you for the welcome.:)

The default right click browser menu is exactly what I got.

@ BeeCeeBee,

First of all, please accept my apologies for spelling your name wrong in my reply to you above. I saw your user name and had BeeGee songs dancing in my head. Silly me!

I do use Firefox and pasting works fine when I click on Edit and choose Paste from the menu bar. Thanks! I would never have thought of trying that on my own.

@ Plastic Nev,

And to you I thank for the warm welcome, too! I'm afraid to admit though that it will be quite some time before I am ready to help others. I had no idea how daunting training could be. Unfortunately, I was not born with a mouse in my hand. But a friend of mine knows I love to research so he showed me how to research HJT logs for him while he was at work to help him on the many logs he took on. Him and the rest of the spyware fighters must have seen something in my ability to research and they encouraged me to train in the removal of malware. Not as easy as I thought it would be. But it sure is fun!!!

Oh @ Match,

It was a thread that Starbuck had started at GTG (if I remember correctly). I really hate to bother him and it really wasn't that important. I do have Athena installed but haven't taken the time to understand just how to use it.....yet. Right now the important thing to me is to read, learn and read some more so I can graduate.

Thanks to all of you for the nice welcomes and making me feel at home here.

Oh...I did change the email notification settings and I am still not getting replies. Obviously I did receive the reply to activate my registration but nothing after that. Not sure why. Everthing in my settings has a check in place. Thought I'd cover all the bases just in case.

Any ideas?

15. Match

Match Registered Members

Abit AN52
    CPU:
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    Actually! (<- I'm English and when said sarcastically it sounds better from me) :snckr: but I have noticed you only get the paste option in the right click menu when their is a character in front of the cursor for the first paste of a post.
    and I also think this is a Firefox specific anomaly, and if you don't understand what I'm trying to say, Tough, it's taken me age's to get to the bottom and understand the in's and out's of this issue which is why it hasn't been mentioned in the bugs thread.

16. DonnaB

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Ok. I added the @ character then right clicked to paste. 1st time it worked (that was yesterday by the way). Tried it a 2nd time just now...no joy. Today tried it again and no joy either, so it must be a hit or miss thing.

And Match. I did get an email notification for you post above. All settings were correct in the Notifications Options under My Settings. Only thing I did different was to move the Activation email back to my Inbox from a folder I created for forum/blogs emails.

17. KenB

KenB Registered Members

Operating System:
    I thought this was a bit out-dated. Do you not use OTL now?

18. DonnaB

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Hi KenB,

Yes! HJT this very outdated. I think it's a shame that TrendMicro did not continue to update the tool once it was purchased from Merijn. It was/is a great diagnostic tool and I still use it from time to time.

I am presently being trained to use OTL (aka HJT on steroids) and it is very time consuming reading the tutorial. Seems one question leads to two more....and so on. If I had not the opportunity to research and learn HJT prior to starting my training, I'm not quite sure I would have gotten this far in my training. Many of my fellow students have seemed to disappear once they get past UnderClass. Learning to use the tools needed to diagnose and remove malware is not an easy process. I have a very long road ahead of me but more than willing to travel that road no matter how long it takes.

19. KenB

KenB Registered Members

Operating System:
    I have the greatest respect for those people who have given so many hours to train themselves in malware and virus removal.
    ( Don't tell Startbuck or etavares I said that :) )
    Stick with it.
    Forums like this need people like you.

20. DonnaB

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    So do I. My goal is not only to learn how to remove malware but to educate those who have no idea what safe surfing is to prevent the bad guys who write malicious code (and profit from it) from taking advantage of people who are uneducated. I don't want to be someones "insurance policy" for every drive by infection they encounter. I want them to learn from their experience and spread the word on how to surf safely.

Stick with it, I will. I may never be as good as some but I am on a mission to be the best that I can be. (hm....sounds like a commercial for the Armed Forces)

My lips are sealed! :shh:

Oh...just noticed your signature...... :snckr: loooove it!

Better get back to class now (before I am found without my hall pass).