1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

New build not working please help!!!

Discussion in 'New Build and/or New Hardware' started by Steven Sullivan, May 6, 2022.

1. Steven Sullivan

Steven Sullivan

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Just build a PC for gaming and it's not fully turning on. With everything hooked up and a turned on PSU I get RGB on MB turning on but when I hit the power button on the case nothing else turns on except hearing a faint click from the PSU. My parts list is below with how I've tried to troubleshoot so far. Only thing that's made any difference is if I unplug the 2 power cords from the GPU some stuff comes on (case LEDs, MB LEDs, GPU 2 red LEDs, CPU/Case fans, CPU heats up)

-checked wiring, unplugged/replugged everything, tripped switching to other ports

-jumped out PSU (PSU Fan comes on)

-Tried 1 stick of RAM, different ram ports, no sticks of RAM

-Tried without M.2 drive

-Inspected CPU pins and reseated CPU

- Replaced GPU

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YDxmDq

2. Digerati

Digerati Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I am assuming you verified all your cable connections are correct, and securely fastened.

When you say jumped out PSU, I am assuming you mean the paperclip test. Sadly, that is nearly useless when it comes to determining the functionality of a PSU. All it does is determine if the PSU can turn on, or not. It does not verify any of the required voltages are present, within allowed ±5% tolerances, if ripple is sufficiently suppressed, or if regulation is properly maintained under a variety of realistic loads.

To properly and conclusively test a PSU, it must be done by a properly trained tech using an oscilloscope or a dedicated power supply analyzer. However, the normal user can also verify a PSU by swapping in a known good spare.

For brand new builds, I typically recommend pulling everything out of the case and assembling the computer on a large bread/cutting board, or large sheet of regular brown cardboard. Then make sures it works there.

Note that cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. So, it is common for cases to have more motherboard mounting points than boards have mounting holes. And while the ATX Form Factor standard dictates where motherboard mounting holes “can” be on motherboards, it does not dictate where they “will” be. So, one board may have a mounting hole in a specific place while another may not.

A common mistake by the less experienced and distracted pros alike is to insert one or more extra standoff in the case under the motherboard. Any extra standoff creates the potential for an electrical “short” in one or more circuits. The results range from "nothing" (everything works perfectly) to odd "intermittent” problems, to "nothing" (as in nothing works at all :(). So, while everything is out of the case, verify you only inserted a standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.

allheart55 (Cindy E) and Tony D like this.
  3. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    ^^^ Good advice