1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Networking Troubles! Please help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Disturbed10k, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Disturbed10k

Disturbed10k

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    In the past I have gone through a total of 4 wireless network adapters in trying to connect to our current broadband network that our house is currently running on with our smartphones and other computers. 3 of them were Netgear adapters in which their software couldn't even find their own adapter despite my own computer able to recognize it. And the other one was a Linksys Network Adapter which could properly be installed, but couldn't connect to our wifi.

After those I went a different route and got a wifi to ethernet network adapter instead. It took a little bit to understand how it worked, but I was able to connect to the internet, however it wasn't our broadband network it connected to. Instead some open unsecured connection that is slow as mud and can't handle playing games like The Division.

So after all of that now my focus is on our router because even after upgrading the Netgear firmware from the router website I am still unable to establish a new wifi connection with it. I even had the people who built my computer go through Teamviewer to look at our router and said that there might be an encryption issue with the router and could be the reason I cannot connect to it.

Would it be correct in thinking a new router would solve my networking issues? If so could I get a recommendation towards a new router?

PS: I would also like to note that after the experiences with Netgear customer service is a total waste of time. I called them with the most recent Netgear adapter I bought, because once again their software wasn't recognizing it. Their technical support had my trying to plug the USB into different ports seeing if that made a difference. So I am steering clear of them all together.

Processor: Intel Core i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz 2.93GHz
    Installed Memory(RAM): 8.00 GB
    System Type: 64-bit Operating System
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
    Modem: Motorola Arris SBG6580 SURFboard
    Router: Netgear wireless router wnr1000v3
    Wireless Network Adapter: IOGear ethernet to wifi wireless adapter GWU627

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    First thing would be to remove power from the router for a minute. This will soft reset the router.

If problems persist, I'd would remove any security on your wireless network. If you still can't connect with more than one device, change out the router. If you can connect, then enable security.

3. Rustys

Rustys Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Do you have a system that can be and or is connect directly to the router?

Have you configured the wireless using the system that is wired to the router?

Have you made sure that the devices that you are connecting to are capable connecting to the security settings?

Why not try using the WiFi that is built into the Cable Modem?
    You may have to log in to the modem and turn it on.

If you are unsure can defiantly help you check.

4. tecknomage

tecknomage Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
    CPU:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz
    Memory:
    8gb
    Hard Drive:
    4tb
    Graphics Card:
    NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 770] 1990mb memory
    Power Supply:
    750w
    4 Wireless adapters :confused-92:

You should ONLY be using one, the one connected by cable to your PC. The other devices should have only a WiFi card or be WiFi capable.

Didn't your ISP provide a router with a built-in WiFi modem?

Even though I do not use COX for internet (use for TV only), but in their local store I see they provide the router and modem as separate units.
    I use AT&T Uverse for internet and they provided a Motorola router+modem (single unit) :thmbup: Have no problems connecting via WiFi for my laptop or iPhone 6.

5. Kenny94

Kenny94 Registered Members

Operating System:
    OS X
    iPad Air, HP Chromebook and Compaq laptop with xp
    Hi,
    Here's a tool that will be helpful. I would click enable wireless adapters and enable LAN adapters and let's know if this took care of the issue? If not you will see a log file called netadapter-log-2016 please post it here.This tool has has a lot options so we'll handle your issue..
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/netadapter-repair-all-in-one/

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.