1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with computer surround sound stuff

Discussion in 'Sound Card' started by JohnMcGarva, Jan 19, 2013.

1. JohnMcGarva

JohnMcGarva Registered Members

OK guys. I have a 5.1 surround sound settup on my computer. I run windows 7. I have 3 sets of audio plugs on my desktopi. I have 1 seton the front. And 2 sets in the back. One set has Gray, Black, Orange, Pink, Green and Blue. And the second set has orange, blue, and green... My sound system has all 5 speakers going into the bass. Then the bass has 3 wires coming out of it. Green, Black and orange. If I plug the green into the set of plugs that has 3 inserts. (green, orange and blue) the speakers work normally (not in surround sound) If I plug 3 wires coming out of my bass into the setup that has 6 colors. And I match the green with the green, orange with the orange, and black with the black the speakers dont work at all. And the front only has a green and pink. Which that plays the speakers normally. (not in surround sound)

I do know that the make of the back set of plugs (the one with 3 holes) is a creative. And I have the correct driver for it. The other set (the one with the 6 holes) has a box on the inside of the computer that goes to the mother board. All that says on it is foxconn. I have no idea what model that is for the drivers.

How do I get the 6 plug one working so i can get surround sound and how do I set up for the surround sound to work on the computer???

I have a few pictures to help The first one is the set of plugs im trying to get working..I believe this setup is for the surround sound. It has 6 holes for plugs

The second pic is the other set of the plugs in the back that are working. They blue, orange and green.

The 3rd picture is box inside the 6 hole plugs. It has foxconn written on it. So I figured that was brand and maybe where I need to find driver to get working.

1[​IMG]
    2[​IMG]
    3[​IMG]

2. jaylach

jaylach Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Normally with this type of setup you just follow the color codes. According to your manual one color plug will be for each, center, front, rear and bass connections. You cannot just plug into one connector and have it all work unless you are just connecting the green to a separate surround sound system.

3. JohnMcGarva

These 6 plug connections USED to work. I install windows 8.. Didnt like it, So I uninstalled win8 and reinstalled win7. After reinstalling windows 7 is when these speakers stopped working. I installed the driver for the creative sound card. (thats the one with 3 plugs,, green, orange and blue)

I USED to plug the green with the green, black with black, and orange with orange on the set with 6 plugs.. they used to work.

4. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi, and welcome to CHF.
    looking at the ports you have I am a little puzzled about what is obviously a sound card in one of the PCI slots. The output ports on that which are three, plus an optical in out port, do not appear to have surround sound as they look to be a single speakers (Front stereo) the green one, a line out the pale blue, it is the other as the photo makes it hard to tell if it is pink (Microphone in) or orange, which would make it centre or subwoofer. Not too sure about that card and could do with knowing the full make and model of it.

The other six ports look to be motherboard mounted, though if that is the large metal Foxcon box set of ports, a view of the full interior and again make and model number of the motherboard will help.
    However they may just be disabled due to the sound card being in, though the six ports do look to be surround sound types.
    I borrowed this list from Wikipedia, see if the colours and cables match, and also let us know a bit more about the motherboard and sound card please.

[​IMG]

Edit=
    You posted while I was writing but what you say clears up quite a bit.
    The sound card you have put in since is now possibly disabling any original sound the system has or had. Not only that I don't think it is surround capable, though a knowledge of the model will help to be sure.

What I think has happened, the original sound system drivers got lost when you installed Windows 8 and then reverted back to Windows 7.

We need to now know what make the original sound system is to find you those drivers.

Plus remove the new sound card to enable the original sound system.

Nev.

5. JohnMcGarva

The set of plugs with the 3 holes is a green, blue, and orange. Looking at the picture there is a white hole next to it. That MIGHT be the mic in. im not sure. The front set has a green and pink..

I have a 5.1 surround sound setup with I would like to get working as surround sound. Not just all the same amount of vol from each speaker. I'm pretty sure there is some settings in my sound system settings that I can change to make it a 5.1 set up...

I havent added or removed any sound cards in my computer. This is the same it came. I do know that towards the bottom of my computer is a flat mother board type thing.. I beleive that is my sound card. That is where I got the info for downloading the creative driver. Creative is the make of the card.

The 6 hole area only has the silver box which has foxconn listed on it. Thats all i know about..

I also want to add that the headset I use is a logitech wireless headset. Everytime I want to use my external speakers over the headset, I right click on my speaker (bottom right by clock) > playback devices > the click on the speakers I want to use > press default. Im not sure if that helps any or not. But I wanted to throw that out there.. I added pic as well.

Here is some pictures as you requested.

1 shows more zoomed in picture of inside tower
    2 shows mother board name
    3 less zoomed in picture of tower
    4 the sound settings where i have to change the defaults

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Ricardo

Ricardo Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom 11 x4 965
    Memory:
    Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 8 gig
    Hard Drive:
    Seagate X 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar X 1TB, WD X 500GB external
    Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Power Supply:
    Corsair TX750M 750W ATX12V
    Hi John and welcome to the forums. Just curious is that 6 plug foxconn box attached directly on the motherboard, or is it attached in a PCI slot???? I can't really tell from the pic you posted. I am with Plastic Nev, I think you lost the driver in the transition from Win 8 back to Win 7. This 6 plug box is the sound card for surround sound. Check this out, it may help you:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/10085-63-download-audio-drivers-windows-foxconn-motherboard

7. Ricardo

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom 11 x4 965
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Power Supply:
    PS: Photo 1 appears to be the surround sound card and photo 2 appears to be the standard sound card that came with your motherboard. You may have to go into the BIOS and activate the surround sound card and accordingly turn off the standard card. It is just a thought. ;) Maybe DSTM can join in the fray, he seems to know a fair bit about audio and the like.

8. JohnMcGarva

Ricardo - The foxconn box looks to be soldered into the mother board. The second picture I posted (in my prev post) is the type of mother board I have. I was asked what type of board I had so I posted a picture of it. I went to the link that you posted and it seemed to be a dead end. I couldnt find any type of download for a driver on that website.

And I agree, I think I lost the driver when switching OS. I'm just hoping I can get it set up to actually run with a 5.1 surround sound!

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

9. Ricardo

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom 11 x4 965
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Power Supply:
    Thanks John, if the foxconn box is soldered into your motherboard, you have to find the model number of the mobo then go to the manufacturers website and find the audio drivers. It would appear that your motherboard came with surround sound built into it.

10. woodyblade

woodyblade Inactive Staff Member

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Samsung
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7 3615QM 2.30GHz
    Memory:
    8GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung 830 256GB
    Graphics Card:
    Nvidia Geforce GT 640m
    EDIT: Ricardo posted before I did, same advice anyway :)

Hi,

It seems your motherboard has a Realtek sound chip (ALC888 seems to be the model code) built on, this is the appropriate site for the Realtek driver (just need to tick the checkbox) - http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

You need to select one of the first two entries in blue, depending on whether your system is 32 or 64 bit, install the driver and restart the PC.

Now I can't speak for the Creative software as I've never used it, but I know the Realtek software has options to enable Surround Sound, I'll attach a screenshot below, but if you go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound, then select Realtek HD Audio Manager, when there select the drop down list and select 5.1 Speaker, assuming the cables you have are plugged in correctly to the Motherboard (6 ports) then you should hopfully have the surround sound working.

Audioscreen.png

11. JohnMcGarva

Woody, I followed your link and downloaded the windows 7 32 bit for US. It installed, and asked for a restart. So I restarted the computer and after it rebooted, nothing came up. So I did a search for any realtek items and nothing showed up. I Also downloaded the "ATI HDMI Audio Device" thinking that would help. It got about 90% and said there was no driver to support it. I took a screen shot of everything I downloaded....

Also, I did a search on my computer for creative and I found some sound settings for it. I found an option for 5.1 surround sound, but when I click on it, No sound comes out of my speakers at all... Remember, I have the speakers plugged into the area that has only 3 holes. (green, blue and black) And really, green is the only thing doing anything. When I plug in JUST the green, all the speakers plug the bass work.. BUT id like for the surround sound to work..

Here is a few more pictures...

1st one if the 2 files I downloaded (arrows)
    2nd is the pop up that says no driver
    3rd is the creative sound settings.

1 [​IMG]

2 [​IMG]
    3 [​IMG]

12. JohnMcGarva

Also, in picture #1 i am currently download the 5th item down. Hoping that might be the correct download. Will update tomorrow. Thanks!

13. Ricardo

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom 11 x4 965
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Power Supply:
    Hi John, please download Speecy and then please post the info it says about your motherboard, make and model and then the audio. http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download Your speaker setup is rather confusing. You say that all the speakers are hooked up to the sub woofer and yet only 3 wires are coming out of it???? I have a logitech surround sound system and yet all of my speakers, including the sub, plug into a 6 plug box, like you have shown above. Futhermore, you mention the other set of plugs, on the back of your machine, IE: orange, blue and green. If you plug the green wire, coming out of the sub, into the green port all you will get is normal stereo, not surround sound. I would like to do some further research for you but I need the make and model number of your mobo and what speecy says about your audio. I think with the help of PlasticNev, woodyblade and myself, we will solve this for you.

Cheers: Rich :)

14. Ricardo

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom 11 x4 965
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Power Supply:
    I found a bit more info for you. You mentioned 3 wires coming out of your sub woofer. Green, black and orange. Green is for your front speakers, Black is for your rear speakers and orange is for your center speaker. That is how these wires should be installed into the Foxconn 6 plug box. Now we have to find the proper audio driver to make this system work. In one of my other posts, I said something about making a change in the BIOS. Maybe PlasticNev or woodyblade can comment on this. Is it possible that he may have to go into the BIOS and turn off the other sound card to make the surround system work????

15. jaylach

jaylach Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Unless I am missing something the audio ports being used are the set of three with only the green doing anything which is as it should be as on a three plug setup the green is line out. Unless this port is connected to a totally separate surround sound amplifier this setup will never give surround sound.

To get surround sound directly from the computer the 6 port audio system must be used which, at this time, appears to not be the case. Actually, since the three ports are green.blue/black, 3.1 surround might be possible but not 5.1.

16. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    All going correctly so far and as Jaylach says, those three are not the ones to use, it is the six ports in the other area. I think perhaps that if you were to use those ports, then selected the 5.1 speakers in the Audio control panel, that should work, it may not though if the correct drivers are not installed. Or the correct sound system selected.

Which brings me to ask, the top drop down menu in the Audio control panel, which in your screen shot shows as Creative SB X-Fi, what other options are shown if you click that drop down?

Nev.

17. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi Guys. Can we wait now till John replies as all this advice at once may be confusing.:)
    Thanks.

18. JohnMcGarva

Ricardo - The only reason why I have the green in the area with 3 holes (green blue orange) is because thats the only place where I get sound externally out my speakers... unless I use the front (green pink) which I dont want to use that. If I plug into the area with the 6 holes, I will not get any sound what so ever...

I mentioned in my prev post if I changed my creative sound settings to 5.1 surround sound, then the speakers stop working. I just found out that is semi true. The speakers work in all my programs except firefox ( which is what I use as my default internet). So say if I play music via itunes, or WMP, or play a game, sound does come out of my speakers in the 5.1 surround sound setting.. But say if I watch a youtube video. It does not play any sound.... BUT when I am in the 5.1 surround sound setting, it doesnt play it in surround sound. Its still just the normal even sound through all the speakers.

(firefox does play sound just fine when I'm in the 2.1 setting)

Nev- Creative is the only choice in the drop down box.

I took a picture of the back of my bass system. The first wire up top is a wired remote that came installed. It has an on/off button and a vol control on it. The next 3 wires (green, black and orange) is the same wires that ive been plugging into my tower (just the other end)

The next 5 wires are for the all 5 speakers. Then the bottom wire is the AC power plug.
    Here the pictures of bass and also the scan you guys wanted me to run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Ricardo

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom 11 x4 965
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Power Supply:
    Ok John, I am still doing a bit of research on this problem, but, keep in mind, not everything you listen to is in the 5.1 format. For example, some vids you watch in youtube may not be broadcast in surround sound, only stereo, therefore that is why you won't hear it in surround sound. Anyways, let's try a few things, first of all try this download: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SO...S4-rev-21-Realtek-Audio-Driver-51005973.shtml and also please try this: http://creative-x-fi-audio-processor-wdm.drivers.informer.com/ Give these drivers a go and see if there is any improvement. Make sure that the green, black and orange wires are hooked up to the foxconn 6 plug thinger.

Cheers: Rich :fshsml:

20. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi, firstly thanks Ricardo for trying to find more info, during the week I find it hard to find time for that, and hope you come up with some info regarding the Foxcon and its box. I am also finding odd things useful in this thread from other contributors, even though I know a lot about sound, I can still learn something. Thanks to those contributors from me.

OK here is my take on this, I am wondering why there is the Foxcon, and a separate sound card?
    Is this a computer from brand new or did it have a previous owner? Can you let us know one way or the other John please?
    I am now wondering if the Foxcon unit is the original motherboard sound system that maybe died for whatever reason. So to get round that the previous owner (If that is the case) fitted the Creative sound card, and then made sure the original sound system was fully disabled.
    Hence why only the Creative system is showing in the computers own system and the Speccy screen shot, with no mention at all of the motherboards own system.
    Just a meander through my thoughts there gents but might prove useful in nailing this problem.

It would perhaps be useful to know if the Foxcon thing can be revived and those ports used, or at least be fully sure it is dead.
    The only way to find that out would be to first remove the Creative sound card, then search the BIOS for any clues regarding turning on the motherboard sound system. Might also mean disabling any Creative drivers temporarily too.

Would you be willing to try that John? if needing help with searching the BIOS, we can help.

Nev.